Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Stuart Holden

wanderers63

This is something I shit myself over.

I'm 33, mum and dad are 70+.

Kids 6 and 10.

I know they're not gonna be here forever but the kids are so close to them that I can't imagine what they will be like when the time finally comes.

Same :(

That's why you've got to encourage them to take every chance they get to spend time with them. Even if it means sitting at Rivi barn in the piss rain on a Sunday eating a stale scone and listening to them moan about how un-waterproof their anorak is. It all counts. And that's why grandparents are ace.

• Site Supporter

That's why you've got to encourage them to take every chance they get to spend time with them. Even if it means sitting at Rivi barn in the piss rain on a Sunday eating a stale scone and listening to them moan about how un-waterproof their anorak is. It all counts. And that's why grandparents are ace.

this.

children and grandparents have an unconditional love. 

no ,blame, and can see a diferent view from a parent

They're 50 in theory tho. my dad never misses a football or cricket match or training session and I do the coaching. He was telling all the kids about playing in the same school team as Dave Hatton and Alan Ball last week. He shows them how to bowl a leg break and googly, how to tackle someone so they end up in the paddock, they go on 10 mile bike rides etc etc. I'd hate an illness to take hold. Special relationship.

Suppose I've got it well tho. I never had it.

I'm fortunate to live 10 mins walk from both sets of my lads grandparents so he's with one set of them at least 1 day a week.

My parents are in their 60's and the in-laws in their 50's so I'm hopeful they'll be around for a long time to come.

We still go to the games with my granddad in his late 80's who's dementia means he doesn't really get out much other than to the Wanderers. My mum take my Nan for dinner at the garden centre whilst we're out. I'll miss the grumpy bastard once he's gone so i make the most out of going to the match with him. He barely missed a home game since he started going in 1938 til his age/illness meant he couldn't do night games.

Anyone else suffer a weird kind of rivalry between both sets of grandparents?

It's like a game of who can inject more sugar into the kids.

Yes.

I also have an inter grandparent rivalry between who he's spent the most time with when he stops over.

"Wandad" seems to be favourite at both sets of 'rents

Me & my missus lost all 4 parents in a nightmare 2 year period - only one of them was over 70 years old ffs.Our daughter was only 3 years old when she lost her only remaining grandparent. It breaks my heart for her to see other kids being picked up from school by their lovely grandfolks,

It's just such a shame that she's never really experienced having the kind  love & support that only a grandparent can give.

Such is life I s'pose.

Some folks are worse off.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

Yes.

I also have an inter grandparent rivalry between who he's spent the most time with when he stops over.

"Wandad" seems to be favourite at both sets of 'rents

Ganma and gradgrad (in laws)let him get away with murder and he always comes back in his spare clothes as he's got the others filthy.

Nana and Gandad (my parents) pump him full of treats and spoil him rotten. He's almost as many toys there as he does at home.

Does he also sleep through for em? Mine does, yet he's up at half 1 every fucking morning for us!

Sure he's taking the piss out of us!

To be honest he's slept through since about 9 months old.

He kicks up a right old stick at home having his teeth brushed but apparently loves it when Ganma does it.

Lost my last grandparent a few months ago

He would've been 91 yesterday.

I feel very lucky to have had so long with him

One of the down sides to having not started a family until recently is the fact that my parents and parents in law will get less time with their grandchild(ren maybe)

On a side note, I hope Stu brings his boots with him....oh how you feel his positivity, never say die attitude, work ethic and personality appear to be amongst the things we are missing the most

• 2 months later...