Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Elite Posters Music Thread

Spider

• Moderators

Their first album was good 

They went from nobodies to arenas in two albums 

Fair enough but nothing I've heard since their first album was anywhere as near as good, and that wasn't exactly a classic, it was just decent at the time

And his solo stuff was as middle of the road as it comes 

Its music for people who aren't into music and go out for meals before a gig

9 hours ago, Zico said:

Their first album was good 

They went from nobodies to arenas in two albums 

Fair enough but nothing I've heard since their first album was anywhere as near as good, and that wasn't exactly a classic, it was just decent at the time

And his solo stuff was as middle of the road as it comes 

Its music for people who aren't into music and go out for meals before a gig

Woah there - nothing wrong with that, I'm not 25 and pogoing around anymore. Beer, bite to eat and then gig - lovely stuff.

Anyway, The Killers, we have a hatered in our house due to the time they played T in the park. Made my mrs get someone to find a blanket to cover the tiny Las Vegas vocalist's golf buggy that took him 50 yards to the stage so 'no pics' were taken (no one backstage gave a shit as they were all working) and wouldn't leave his trailer until this was sought, then after the gig kept loads of them behind whilst he went through every picture of him in the gig before selecting any for sign off and being a cunt to all and sundry in the process.

He was off his tits on coke which didn't help the god complex but he's got an ego bigger than his tiny talent.

They were one of those label bands that were pushed from their first single - tons of money behind the promo which is why you couldn't move for Mr Brightside when in came out, I remember them being talked about when theyhad just done their first gig in London and hand nothing out they were being pushed already by the plugger, and then bazillions behind Hot Fuss which is why a better than average band went big quickly.

14 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Woah there - nothing wrong with that, I'm not 25 and pogoing around anymore. Beer, bite to eat and then gig - lovely stuff.

Anyway, The Killers, we have a hatered in our house due to the time they played T in the park. Made my mrs get someone to find a blanket to cover the tiny Las Vegas vocalist's golf buggy that took him 50 yards to the stage so 'no pics' were taken (no one backstage gave a shit as they were all working) and wouldn't leave his trailer until this was sought, then after the gig kept loads of them behind whilst he went through every picture of him in the gig before selecting any for sign off and being a cunt to all and sundry in the process.

He was off his tits on coke which didn't help the god complex but he's got an ego bigger than his tiny talent.

They were one of those label bands that were pushed from their first single - tons of money behind the promo which is why you couldn't move for Mr Brightside when in came out, I remember them being talked about when theyhad just done their first gig in London and hand nothing out they were being pushed already by the plugger, and then bazillions behind Hot Fuss which is why a better than average band went big quickly.

So, you're not a fan?

• Moderators
On 29/08/2023 at 09:51, Not in Crawley said:

Yes, but at least you know what it was like to pogo 

The closet a killers fan gets to pogoing at a gig is when they all have to stand up then sit down because someone on their row wants to go for a piss

On 03/07/2023 at 11:26, Smiley said:

Good stuff. Playing in Warrington next Friday. May give them a spin.

Did you go?

Great recreation of the voice and music and played a lot of early stuff. Only downside is realising how old your musical contemporaries are. Definitely no pogoing 

3 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

I'd would have had them off you, but last weekend before school starts so off with the kids last minute shopping. Sorry!

No worries. Bought them months ago only to see The Cribs and a weekend in London. Derby at home, train strike and trying to save money anyway has made me sack it.

19 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

That was like a stereophonic gig I stupidly went to once. Awful.

Saw the Stereophonics support Skunk Anansie at my first ever gig without my parents. They were brill and saw them a few times after that.

They went dull as dishwasher once Stuart Cable left.

• Site Supporter
18 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

Saw the Stereophonics support Skunk Anansie at my first ever gig without my parents. They were brill and saw them a few times after that.

They went dull as dishwasher once Stuart Cable left.

He didn’t handle that very well did he?

12 hours ago, green genie said:

Did you go?

Great recreation of the voice and music and played a lot of early stuff. Only downside is realising how old your musical contemporaries are. Definitely no pogoing 

Yes. Loved it. Played some right old stuff that only the “fans” would like. Great set of musicians aren’t they? And agree, ‘twas an old audience. Bar a few 30-40 year olds getting excited over their latter stuff.

Edited by Smiley

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Spider said:

He didn’t handle that very well did he?

Just had a search to see what went down

I didn't know, or had totally forgotten, that he's dead 

Anyway 

First two albums were good 

Then they went shite and boring, bar Dakota

• Site Supporter
47 minutes ago, Zico said:

Anyway 

True story this

One night about 15 years ago, a bar next door to my sisters bar in Alcudia was having a karaoke night. Not a fancy bar, it did all day breakfasts, so you can imagine the kind of place.

Anyway, there’s a bloke doing an absolutely fucking perfect karaoke version of Dakota. Barely anyone noticed as there were only about 12 people in there and half were watching a football match on the telly.

Ripple of applause, bloke sits down with his missus and a kid, drinks from his pint.

It was Kelly fucking Jones.

My only witness is me and my sister who had no idea who he is.

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Zico said:

Anyway 

First 2 were fucking brilliant, 3rd was ok, then I completely lost interest. Heard one of their singles on the radio a few years ago, and the lyrics were embarrasingly bad. It's like something written by a 13 year old the night before his English homework is due.

One o'clock in the morning
And I'm leaving from the club
My friends are having a party
Kind of feel I've had enough

At two o'clock in the morning
Sure I'm at their party house
I meet the roommate getting some water
She got a baby in her stomach

Three o'clock in the morning
We hear a scream above the sounds
Looks like the baby in her belly
Thinks it's time to come on out

Four o'clock in the morning
I'm driving all over the road
I swerve a dog on the high street
And crash into the post

She can't wait any longer
I got to help her come into the world
The police try to arrest us
But then they see the baby girl

Five o'clock in the morning
I'm drinking coffee on the ward
I take a walk in to see her
Tells me 'bout the dad that took off

And now we're twenty-two months along
She ask me to be the daddy
And get married when it snows

4 hours ago, Smiley said:

Yes. Loved it. Played some right old stuff that only the “fans” would like. Great set of musicians aren’t they? And agree, ‘twas an old audience. Bar a few 30-40 year olds getting excited over their latter stuff.

Yes, great musicians. They obviously loved the whole back catalogue . Not doing Everybody hurts to prove a point of not doing hits only downside.

• Site Supporter

Going watching the Rosellas tonight at Band on The Wall. One of the lads saw them a month or two ago and said they were decent.

Up until an hour ago I knew nothing about them. Quick google and Spotify search they sound ok.

Apparently they are named  ‘Ones To Watch’ in 2023 by Radio XS Manchester & Louder Than War Magazine, whatever that means! 

Anyone else seen or heard of them?

20 hours ago, green genie said:

Yes, great musicians. They obviously loved the whole back catalogue . Not doing Everybody hurts to prove a point of not doing hits only downside.

Didn’t play it for us. But did Man on the Moon, Shiny Happy People…. So that kinda dismissed the “not playing the hits” myth.

23 hours ago, Spider said:

True story this

One night about 15 years ago, a bar next door to my sisters bar in Alcudia was having a karaoke night. Not a fancy bar, it did all day breakfasts, so you can imagine the kind of place.

Anyway, there’s a bloke doing an absolutely fucking perfect karaoke version of Dakota. Barely anyone noticed as there were only about 12 people in there and half were watching a football match on the telly.

Ripple of applause, bloke sits down with his missus and a kid, drinks from his pint.

It was Kelly fucking Jones.

My only witness is me and my sister who had no idea who he is.

Always wondered if you were a famous singer if you’d do your own songs at Karaoke. I fuckin’ would!

Probably posted this before, but got chatting to Nigel from Dodgy once in a bar in Clitheroe before a gig. He told me they were recording an album once in the back of beyond. They went to the local pub for a break and saw they had a “battle of the bands” contest. Nobody recognised them, so they entered it. Came second.