Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

12 minutes ago, Horwich said:

If we paid the wages for the lad from city, he would be the highest earner at the club.

It would be a pointless loan, even if we weren’t paying his wages.

Just like the lad from Burnley last season.

Evatt needs to sort this position out once and for all.

I agree - but maybe it was a choice of new keeper or Morley. Would you still go down the new keeper route if it was? 

I'd probably strengthen centre midfield before I looked at the keeper. 

All opinions though I guess......

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Rudy said:

If you’re back 4 aren’t good enough then the pressure you put on the keeper is unfair 

True. With a better defence we wouldn't be talking about Dixon...

other than no defence in the world could cope with him passing to the opposition centre forward. 

Bet he doesn't do that again. 

• Members
Just now, MickyD said:

other than no defence in the world could cope with him passing to the opposition centre forward. 

All players make mistakes when it’s a keeper it’s magnified especially when it costs you the game. I though he played well on Tuesday. Given no chance for either goal and defence should have done miles better 

I honestly don’t think he’s a bad keeper. The defence need to be better, MJ needs to sit deeper.

3 minutes ago, Rudy said:

All players make mistakes when it’s a keeper it’s magnified especially when it costs you the game. I though he played well on Tuesday. Given no chance for either goal and defence should have done miles better 

I honestly don’t think he’s a bad keeper. The defence need to be better, MJ needs to sit deeper.

First goal he gets a pathetically weak hand to, most other keepers make a routine save there.

Second goal he places a dreadful kick straight back to the opposition, everything after that though he has no control over and a good finish. 

He didn't play badly outside of those two errors but then we lost 2-0 to goals that could have been avoided with a better keeper, they're the margins that come with the position. Not one of the positions to scrimp on for me and it's a worrying trend of Evatt's that he either struggles to evaluate keepers or doesn't value the position as he should. 

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I agree - but maybe it was a choice of new keeper or Morley. Would you still go down the new keeper route if it was? 

I'd probably strengthen centre midfield before I looked at the keeper. 

All opinions though I guess......

Id wait until summer for a keeper and pay whatever it takes.

A bastard midfielder is needed but Evatt may hate it.

A good keeper, even if he requires them to be the sweeper-keeper he so wants, is vital. But, as said, keeper seems to be his blind spot. Genuinely he needs telling. It may need to be a Sharon chat.

Then, and this is a matter of giving his ... & everyone else's ... head a shake, and work like shite on dead balls. If he says they do then he needs showing that it ain't working. Everytime a free or corner doesn't get past the first defender there should be an issue about it. It's simply unprofessional. 

48 minutes ago, meanderson93 said:

First goal he gets a pathetically weak hand to, most other keepers make a routine save there.

Second goal he places a dreadful kick straight back to the opposition, everything after that though he has no control over and a good finish. 

He didn't play badly outside of those two errors but then we lost 2-0 to goals that could have been avoided with a better keeper, they're the margins that come with the position. Not one of the positions to scrimp on for me and it's a worrying trend of Evatt's that he either struggles to evaluate keepers or doesn't value the position as he should. 

Spot on.  We've got used to the fact that routine shots just find their way into the net.  Oh for just one day in a season when it feels like the keeper has earned us a backs to the wall win with a load of good saves, we just don't expect saves to be made since IE has been here.

• Members
54 minutes ago, meanderson93 said:

2 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Spot on.  We've got used to the fact that routine shots just find their way into the net.  Oh for just one day in a season when it feels like the keeper has earned us a backs to the wall win with a load of good saves, we just don't expect saves to be made since IE has been here.

Right the first one is right in the corner and 14 yards out in between two players does well to get anything on it, has to gamble and can’t see it until late

Not to mention we have the ball and lose it in their corner and don’t lay a glove on them that’s not on Dixon

Second one the kick isn’t good but he’s trying to distribute it quickly . Between them getting it and it hitting the net is 10 seconds and it’s a long straight ball that we don’t win or win the second ball and the finish is sublime 

Again it should have been stopped. We didn’t lose the game because of Dixon

• Site Supporter
33 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

But I genuinely feel like that’s across the board for lower level keepers. I can’t remember an opposition keeper having a blinder against us in the last 2 seasons either (Although it would help if we could get some meaningful shots on goal, but that’s a different debate! 😂)

But even in games we’ve won, narrowly lost/drawn when we’ve played well I can’t recall an amazing performance from a keeper at this level. Although that Cambridge fella had a belter against Newcastle last week. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

A bastard midfielder is needed but Evatt may hate it.

A good keeper, even if he requires them to be the sweeper-keeper he so wants, is vital. But, as said, keeper seems to be his blind spot. Genuinely he needs telling. It may need to be a Sharon chat.

Then, and this is a matter of giving his ... & everyone else's ... head a shake, and work like shite on dead balls. If he says they do then he needs showing that it ain't working. Everytime a free or corner doesn't get past the first defender there should be an issue about it. It's simply unprofessional. 

Do you genuinely think that it’s even a possibility that Sharon calls Evatt into her office to tell him that he’s shit at recruiting keepers and to offer her advice? 😂😂

3 hours ago, Rudy said:

If you’re back 4 aren’t good enough then the pressure you put on the keeper is unfair 

3 hours ago, MickyD said:

You can just flip this around and say "If your keeper isn't good enough then the pressure you put on the back 4 is unfair" or "with a better keeper we wouldn't be talking about the defence".

Truth is they both need to do better.

Whether you think we lost vs Wycombe because of Dixon or not, he has definitely made about 4 or 5 big errors/saves he should've made this season.

Just had a look back at some highlights:

Portsmouth farcical

Fleetwoods third against us beaten too easily from a tight angle.

Cheltenham's first against us, gets a touch on it but goes into the corner anyway.

Accrington, poor positioning.

Wigan's 3rd against us.

Hartlepool obviously but at least it wasn't a league game.

Granted he's made a few good saves this season and saved a couple of penalties but think Crellin did similar. 

You could add others to that list too but he has been let down by poor defending at times. Hopefully this Trafford lad can give us a better option.

Edited by Mantra

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Rudy said:

Right the first one is right in the corner and 14 yards out in between two players does well to get anything on it, has to gamble and can’t see it until late

Not to mention we have the ball and lose it in their corner and don’t lay a glove on them that’s not on Dixon

Second one the kick isn’t good but he’s trying to distribute it quickly . Between them getting it and it hitting the net is 10 seconds and it’s a long straight ball that we don’t win or win the second ball and the finish is sublime 

Again it should have been stopped. We didn’t lose the game because of Dixon

Rudy, its not even in the corner after he gets a weak hand on it. Its poor keeping on top of rank defending. I do get though that his poor recent form certainly isn't helped by those in front of him. 

2 hours ago, meanderson93 said:

Two errors ro many, mistakes is what separates the good keepers from the average keepers. A strong goalkeeper is the spine of a good team, this is the first time in years and years we've struggled to get a decent keeper in, last time this happened Felgate took over from Simon Farnworth 

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Ands1 said:

Two errors ro many, mistakes is what separates the good keepers from the average keepers. A strong goalkeeper is the spine of a good team, this is the first time in years and years we've struggled to get a decent keeper in, last time this happened Felgate took over from Simon Farnworth 

What about last year?

Anyone denying he should have done better having watch the replay is an idiot 

Anyone blaming him for the second is an idiot 

Given as usual on here you seem to have be 100% blaming or 100% defending him it means the site is full of idiots.

Yet I keep coming back must be an idiot 

• Members
13 minutes ago, Ani said:

Given as usual on here you seem to have be 100% blaming or 100% defending him it means the site is full of idiots.

If it’s taken you this long to figure out, you’re an idiot 

Edited by Rudy

• Site Supporter
26 minutes ago, Ani said:

I don't think Dixon is anywhere near being our biggest issue myself. First and foremost, we need to start finishing our chances.