Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Tommy9322 said:

We’re been linked with Jack Iredale from Cambridge United on a free transfer. He can play on the left side of a 3 or at left wing back, was linked with Wigan and Preston in January.

Think he's out of contract this summer. 6ft 3, only 25 and been well regarded for a while. I imagine we'll have a fair amount of competition for the lad but if Championship sides don't show interest we'd be a front-runner.

5 hours ago, paulhanley said:

He played with Gethin Jones in the Carlisle side in 2019/20 so that link might stand us in good stead.

Carlisle released both Gethin and Iredale in Summer 2020. Both now catching the eye a division above. Poor judgement at Brunton Park! 

On the face of it seems very poor judgement.  But at this level when contracts are often just a year, players will walk away for either a longer or better paid contract elsewhere. Jones and Iredale may have been offered another year for all we know.  There's also the fact that a new manager comes in at that level, and maybe never heard of half the squad or never seen them play, he'll have his own ideas who he wants to spend his (low) budget on.  We definitely benefitted with Gethin.

Mate of mine is a Carlisle lad and spoken to him about Jones. Said he started off superb and everyone was amazed they got him but with the revolving door of mangers and other stuff going on at the club he looked like he lost interest and didn’t want to be there. They offered him another 1 year deal on similar terms and the response was thanks but no thanks 

The family I work for are Carlisle fans and one of the owners’ sons is my age. 

Speaking over Skype when working from home in the summer of 2020 ahead of the League Two season, he said Jones was decent but pretty much just a 6/10 player every week. 

It’s amazing how much he makes us tick. What I especially like is how good he is in when playing as a right-sided centre half in a back three.
Would never have guessed he could do that job a year ago. His positional sense is excellent.

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, BWFC_LOVE said:

The family I work for are Carlisle fans and one of the owners’ sons is my age. 

Speaking over Skype when working from home in the summer of 2020 ahead of the League Two season, he said Jones was decent but pretty much just a 6/10 player every week. 

It’s amazing how much he makes us tick. What I especially like is how good he is in when playing as a right-sided centre half in a back three.
Would never have guessed he could do that job a year ago. His positional sense is excellent.

To be honest, that’s where I had him last season too. I wasn’t sure he could make the step but he’s either much improved or just more suited to L1. Probably both.

With Gethin he was always highly regarded in the Everton & Wales youth set ups. He was a central midfielder who got transitioned into a full back during one of his loans which may explain why his crossing isn't really natural to his game but everything else is top notch at this level. Can see him staying at us for a very long time becoming a cult hero, even if we go up & for some reason may not finds himself as a starter you can easily see him being a dependable, capable utility player. 

1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I’d go more with a new Phil Brown type of character. 

I'm going with him being more of a Gudni Bergsson, quietly leads by example, unflappable, capable at right back or potentially C/B.  Brownie probably a lot more annoying to be around day after day!

14 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I'm going with him being more of a Gudni Bergsson, quietly leads by example, unflappable, capable at right back or potentially C/B.  Brownie probably a lot more annoying to be around day after day!

Good call! I was thinking more about the level we are at using Browny as a comparison, his signing was a catalyst for turning our fortunes around. 

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

I'd go with Mick Whitlow or Anthony Barness as Gethin comparisons from the past. Going back a bit further, Mick Walsh.

Aye would go with Barness, solid, effective but nowt spectacular  

Bergsson is pushing it a bjt

6 hours ago, paulhanley said:

I'd go with Mick Whitlow or Anthony Barness as Gethin comparisons from the past. Going back a bit further, Mick Walsh.

I'd completely forgotten about the immaculate Anthony Barness, great shout.  Cracking, underrated defender, unfortunately as good as he was his influence on the team was limited by never playing more than 21 league games in a season, and a bit injury prone towards the end. 

5 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Good call! I was thinking more about the level we are at using Browny as a comparison, his signing was a catalyst for turning our fortunes around. 

Yes, in that respect, definite comparisons.  I think Browny came as a ready made experienced 1st team regular (we even paid money for him!) and it was clear from day 1 he was the right back for that season.  Jury was out on Jones for months, not helped by being picked out of position on the left.

5 hours ago, Zico said:

Aye would go with Barness, solid, effective but nowt spectacular  

Bergsson is pushing it a bjt

Indeed - certainly not comparing ability levels, unless we make a 2 division allowance for Gethin!