Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Mortgage

Winchester White

Mortgages have always confused me, I remember about 15 years ago, we decided to fix our mortgage rate for 5 years, but interest rates plummeted and we were miles worse off. I guess its pot luck though, if I was looking at a fixed rate, I certainly wouldn't go longer than a 2 year fixed.

I've been looking online to see if I can get a better deal than our current one, I think ours is just a bog standard rate with Lloyds (C&G) we have a mortgage of 90K currently and we're paying £409.00 a month, which seems pretty good, I can't get much better, so may as well stay put.

I understand the point your making but I suppose the counter argument would be that rates have been fuck all for a decade, it only leaves it going 1 way and that's up

It's certainly unlikely that you would lock in a fixed rate for 5 / 10 years then rates go even lower in that time, that would mean negative interest rates, I just can't see it

• Site Supporter

It was the first thing I did when I retired. The money it cost me would never have made what I've saved in interest by no longer having a mortgage. If you can afford it, get it paid off.

Things are truely out of the norm at the moment, not sure we can look on past events with any kind of assurance to today. Borrowing rate's are not going to stay let like they are now, ithe is a case of how long until they rise

Edited by Winchester White

The whole paying the mortgage off piece, I guess it's the way your wired up

My old fella has had a tracker with HSBC for nearly ten years (post crash) at 0.5% above base - it's basically free money at that - he's been bending over backwards to over pay and get it cleared. I told him to invest his overpayments in long term stock options instead as they only need to return more than 1% growth to make you more money than paying the mortgage down

The FTSE 100 has doubled since then

I was also told an anecdote which I quite like. When the iPod was first released if you had bought shares to the value of 1 iPod ($300 say) instead of the device those shares would now be worth over $40,000

Picking the next apple is obviously not as easy without hindsight, it backs up the theory though

I'm thinking Tesla would be a strong long term bet to return more than your mortgage rate

I understand the point your making but I suppose the counter argument would be that rates have been fuck all for a decade, it only leaves it going 1 way and that's up

It's certainly unlikely that you would lock in a fixed rate for 5 / 10 years then rates go even lower in that time, that would mean negative interest rates, I just can't see it

It depends on what rate you're borrowing at.

FA know nothing and you pay for their advice.

The FTSE is at a record high and nobody, but nobody saw it coming - 12 days of rises.

Interest rates can only rise, how soon who knows?

Pretty sure FA's do know what they are doing. There is a whole industry built around it

It depends on what rate you're borrowing at.

You cal lock in for 10 years at 3%, was as low as 2.5% with Coventry Building society in September

I bet you can get 5 year fixes around the 2% mark

I could understand if you locked in at 6% and rates dropped but at the prices they are currently giving away there is little or no risk of that happening

I was also told an anecdote which I quite like. When the iPod was first released if you had bought shares to the value of 1 iPod ($300 say) instead of the device those shares would now be worth over $40,000

Picking the next apple is obviously not as easy without hindsight, it backs up the theory though

I'm thinking Tesla would be a strong long term bet to return more than your mortgage rate

Ron Wayne.

Original shareholder in apple. Sold his 10% share for $800 in 1976.

That share would now be worth $60 billion.

Agree. Just depends how long it takes to go up. If you went for a 2-year fixed now and refinanced onto a 3-year fixes in two years' time, the rates over the five years could be lower than taking a 5-year fixed now. That assumes rates don't go up much in the next couple of years though. If they do go up, the 5-year could be better overall.

I don't think the Bank of England knows

when they'll change the rates, and how quickly. So no idea how the likes of us are expected to know which is best.

Bank of England base rates are only 1 piece of the pie anyway

It's up to the market and the banks to decide what margins they want to make

They have all increased the rates on the long term fixed rates over the past few months. That means they are either predicting the next ten years to have higher rates than they expected 3 months ago or alternatively they just want to make more money

Or a bit of both

• Moderators

Mortgages have always confused me, I remember about 15 years ago, we decided to fix our mortgage rate for 5 years, but interest rates plummeted and we were miles worse off.

Aye

Bought in 2006

Fixed ran out in 2008

Same time I switched jobs and took 5k pay cut

Advisor said stay on variable but panicked and went with fixed for another 3

Turns out I should have stayed on variable

When we moved into our current house 27 years ago, interest rates were 12% and jumped to 15% whithin 6 months!

I remember that well. We were 3 years into our mortgage and the interest rate had doubled. Only saved by the fact my new boss was giving me pay rises every 6 months.

Edited by bgoefc

I remember that well. We were 3 years into our mortgage and the interest rate had doubled. Only saved by the fact my new boss was giving me pay rises every 6 months.

They were tough times. We immediately went into negative equity and it took years to recover. Of course we were the generation that had it easy if you believe some.

I'd imagine it's swings and roundabouts

A mates Mum and Dad bought a great property in Croston for peanuts back in the 70's and it's now worth close to a million

Whilst house prices are ridiculous at the moment (in proportion to average incomes) the super low interest rates mean you claw it back over the life of the mortgage

Back in the 70's & 80's the purchase price would have been more reasonable (compared to average income) but then you get clobbered over the life of the mortgage with higher interest rates

I'd bet there is very little in the comparison over the life of a mortgage vs average household income

• Moderators

They were tough times. We immediately went into negative equity and it took years to recover. Of course we were the generation that had it easy if you believe some.

I do find it hard to imagine interest rates were so high or more to the point what would happen if they got that high again

On the other hand I would think anyone paying a mortgage in the 90s has a house thats probably doubled if not tripled in value since then

I do find it hard to imagine interest rates were so high or more to the point what would happen if they got that high again

On the other hand I would think anyone paying a mortgage in the 90s has a house thats probably doubled if not tripled in value since then

Typically house prices double every 10 years, not in every case mind

• Moderators

Typically house prices double every 10 years, not in every case mind

Bought mine 10 years ago

When I got my last deal sorted 2 years ago had it valued 3 times

One was 15k under, one was the same, one was 15k over!

New deal required this year so will be interesting to see where it's at

Edited by ZicoKelly

Only an opinion but a lot has to do with a change in social attitudes. When I was 18, I got engaged. We then spent the next 3 years saving for a deposit for a mortgage. The 12 months before we married, I had a full time job, part time job at a petrol station and I also worked Saturday nights at the papers in Manchester.

The building society rules on lending were 2 1/2 times my salary and half my wife's (we had to be married to qualify)

That's how it was in the 70's. Most of my friends went down the same path. Looking at both my lads and their friends, things are completely different now.

And a bit of MIRAS

Which I think they scrapped about 12 months into ours

Always the folk in the middle

As Brown said sneeringly at the time "A middle class perk" dismissing the fact it helped young people get a foot on the housing ladder.

Most countries rent anyway.

What's the point in owning a house? Most leave to their kids as part of their estate only to be fucked by inheritance tax. Kids should be self sufficient IMO.

Unless you're gonna sell it when u retire and enjoy the cash whilst renting somewhere smaller then owning is a waste of time, but something the U.K. has become conditioned to.

Edited by captainmed

Lots of retired folk won't have the cash to rent

What then?

True. I'm still amazed how many of my mates have no private pension and currently rent. Fuck knows what they'll do in their dotage.

My plan is to pay off, then when I'm older sell up and move to France or Spain and rent until I peg it.

At the minute, where i live, rent prices are more than my mortgage anyway, so itvmales sense to buy