Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

On 26/11/2021 at 08:48, Mounts Kipper said:

It’s clear from the letter Johnson been trying to work with the French and they are clearly not engaging, he’s called them out publicly, 100% correct to do so. I’m also sure the Germans & other countries will now pull rank and things will now get resolved. Great diplomacy, tried the carrot now the stick. Well done Boris. 

As predicted. 

Channel migrants: France to propose deal with UK - BBC News

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Completely the opposite actually Mick.

Given his previous comments, I was interested in how he formed his opinions, as they do have more resonance than most. He has also stated previously that he did some sort of charity work. 

His response, doesn't actually contradict my view neither. It confirms what I've always believed; we are far too accommodating in general, which makes it all that bit harder for genuine cases to be picked out from all the "fluff".

Doesn't make the gif less funny

7 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Completely the opposite actually Mick.

Given his previous comments, I was interested in how he formed his opinions, as they do have more resonance than most. He has also stated previously that he did some sort of charity work. 

His response, doesn't actually contradict my view neither. It confirms what I've always believed; we are far too accommodating in general, which makes it all that bit harder for genuine cases to be picked out from all the "fluff".

To be honest mate, most stories that I came across were genuine.

There's a lot of dangerous places in the world. Countries like Belarus or even Turkey can be dodgy if you're actively opposing the government.

We can't take them all, but I don't see 'getting tougher' as being the answer either. Got to work together better with as many countries as possible.

Unfortunately, with the climate crisis about to really start biting, and how little COP26 offered for countries on the frontline, I think we will be seeing much, much bigger numbers in the next decade.

The only answer to immigration is humanity. Those who think 'soft touch' and all that nonsense about being hardline are being naive.

Simple solutions are not the answer to complex problems.

Plays well at the ballot box though, and given how fucked over some parts of the country have been, I don't blame them for sticking their cross against someone who says they understand them despite pushing policy after policy through showing they couldn't give a flying.

I trust we wake up at some time.

• Site Supporter
27 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

The only answer to immigration is humanity. Those who think 'soft touch' and all that nonsense about being hardline are being naive.

Simple solutions are not the answer to complex problems.

Plays well at the ballot box though, and given how fucked over some parts of the country have been, I don't blame them for sticking their cross against someone who says they understand them despite pushing policy after policy through showing they couldn't give a flying.

I trust we wake up at some time.

“Humanity” is fine if you can afford to welcome all-comers with open arms. The problem is, someone needs to draw a line with “Accept” on one side and “Fuck Off Home” on the other. We simply can’t afford to have too many staying because the greater the chance of being accepted the greater lengths they will go to to get here. Those lengths may be financial or risk to life (or both).

2 minutes ago, MickyD said:

“Humanity” is fine if you can afford to welcome all-comers with open arms. The problem is, someone needs to draw a line with “Accept” on one side and “Fuck Off Home” on the other. We simply can’t afford to have too many staying because the greater the chance of being accepted the greater lengths they will go to to get here. Those lengths may be financial or risk to life (or both).

How do you draw a line out of interest?

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, tomski said:

How do you draw a line out of interest?

There lies the problem. I wasn’t attempting to provide the solution. That’s the job of some MP or group of MPs  who are well paid to make such decisions.

18 minutes ago, MickyD said:

And that's why being hardline is a vote winner....

It's the economy, stupid!

2 minutes ago, MickyD said:

There lies the problem. I wasn’t attempting to provide the solution. That’s the job of some MP or group of MPs  who are well paid to make such decisions.

It can’t be done as the nation currently doesn’t have the skill or resource.

I think this is what sadly pushes people into the all or nothing extremes

4 minutes ago, MickyD said:

It goes beyond asking MPs, these are global issues - the cabinet, the leadership. No one is asking them in a 4 year term to 'sort out immigration' (ok, some are) 

These issues were seeded 20/30 years ago, asking your local MP to sort it out is pissing in the wind.

But what you can do is not vote people in who play to the lowest common dominator and promise easy answers to huge, global issues.

If they do, charlatan. And not the 25th tour version.

25 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Also how much of the UK's money (our money) is spend on immigration issues? Housing, staff time, money to exist....

If you say 'we can't afford' I'd like to know where you draw the fiscal line.

I'm also interested, because other than  Gonzo who quite rightly talked about housing and difficulties- who has had their life or their family life impinged by immigration.

21 hours ago, London Wanderer said:

To be honest mate, most stories that I came across were genuine.

There's a lot of dangerous places in the world. Countries like Belarus or even Turkey can be dodgy if you're actively opposing the government.

We can't take them all, but I don't see 'getting tougher' as being the answer either. Got to work together better with as many countries as possible.

Unfortunately, with the climate crisis about to really start biting, and how little COP26 offered for countries on the frontline, I think we will be seeing much, much bigger numbers in the next decade.

A certain UK politician is the great-grandson of a Turkish opponent of their government. Soon after producing an offspring he returned to Turkey and met a grisly end.