Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Ani said:

Look who wrote the article they sound foreign.

Project Fear. 

Id happily see folk who voted for brexit unable to afford to eat, but could we not just buy british food

Hard i know when imported lamb is cheaper than uk stuff, but thats another debate

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Happily?

Oh aye, those who voted, not their families, kids, etc

Theyve got what they voted for

Fucked us right up

Winners and losers

Anyone on here that can't afford food?

Or know anyone personal to them that can't?

I know a few that work in providing food for the most vulnerable. Just a hot meal a day.

Doesn't matter if you voted Brexit or not. 

• Site Supporter
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, wanderer1984 said:

I know a few that work in providing food for the most vulnerable. Just a hot meal a day.

We were all lied to - we were all told voting to Leave the EU would improve our lot. It's as simple as that. And those already struggling were more likely to believe it, or at least take the chance, because they had less to lose. And now they're the ones suffering the most as a result. You might be alright. I'm alright. But we're both undeniably poorer as a result of Brexit - unless you've got an offshore investment fund or something. Imagine being poorer when you didn't have a pot to piss in anyway.

Edited by Cheese

2 minutes ago, Cheese said:

We were all lied to - we were all told voting to Leave the EU would improve our lot. It's as simple as that. And those already struggling were more likely to believe it, or at least take the chance, because they had less to lose. And now they're the ones suffering the most as a result. You might be alright. I'm alright. But we're both undeniably poorer as a result of Brexit - unless you've got an offshore investment fund or something. Imagine being poorer when you didn't have a pot to piss in anyway.

I think you're wrong. For a start ... Someone that has nothing to lose has exactly that. Things stay the same for them or it gets better. You've got to go out and do it yourself.

Before brexit I lived month to month and rented. Everything me (council employee) and my wife (NHS Nurse) earned ... we spent on bills and debt. No going out, no holidays away (except local camping) No fancy cars or takeaways, debt collectors at the door ... it was grim.

I worked more and set up a second income making outdoor furniture for schools, community centres etc. Making more money wasnt down to Brexit, its what we needed to do for a better life. Most the debt we had was in my wife's name. She decided to get a IVA. Still has it now.

We fucked up in the past with our money. But WE made it right through hard work. If your mindset is to blame others for your misfortune without doing anything about it ... you deserve to be miserable.

You're saying without Brexit I'd be better off? I guess it's the case for some. Mostly to those that already have enough money.

I still rent a house worth a lot more then I could ever afford. I've two decent cars and now go on 3 holidays abroad a year. If that's down to brexit I'm a lucky one. But I know it isn't ... we've just work hard and now live comfortably. 

42 minutes ago, Cheese said:

How are you poorer? 

29 minutes ago, wanderer1984 said:

I think you're wrong. For a start ... Someone that has nothing to lose has exactly that. Things stay the same for them or it gets better. You've got to go out and do it yourself.

Before brexit I lived month to month and rented. Everything me (council employee) and my wife (NHS Nurse) earned ... we spent on bills and debt. No going out, no holidays away (except local camping) No fancy cars or takeaways, debt collectors at the door ... it was grim.

I worked more and set up a second income making outdoor furniture for schools, community centres etc. Making more money wasnt down to Brexit, its what we needed to do for a better life. Most the debt we had was in my wife's name. She decided to get a IVA. Still has it now.

We fucked up in the past with our money. But WE made it right through hard work. If your mindset is to blame others for your misfortune without doing anything about it ... you deserve to be miserable.

You're saying without Brexit I'd be better off? I guess it's the case for some. Mostly to those that already have enough money.

I still rent a house worth a lot more then I could ever afford. I've two decent cars and now go on 3 holidays abroad a year. If that's down to brexit I'm a lucky one. But I know it isn't ... we've just work hard and now live comfortably. 

Great post…Brexit did not define anyone’s life, to improve your lot takes time & effort, some folk work hard and make a better life, others use Brexit as an excuse not to achieve. 

16 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Great post…Brexit did not define anyone’s life, to improve your lot takes time & effort, some folk work hard and make a better life, others use Brexit as an excuse not to achieve. 

Some do some don't. It's to easy to blame others for your misfortune.

I'm only talking from MY experience ... but I could give lots of examples from others I know that lived month to month before brexit and do so now after.

Imo it's those that are/were well off and wanted to make more money and didnt moan the most. Missed opportunities etc. Folk like Spider losing 2 mill pffft. Then try make out how it effects the the poor. The poor they couldn't give a fuck about.

If you're daft to believe anything ANY government tell you when it comes down to massive amounts of money what you could or might get then you're fucking stupid.

Just glad I did what I wanted to to do.

• Moderators

Also, I guess you don't work in manufacturing

Maybe you wouldnt be quite so amazed at my comments

And no, I dont really want anybody to starve, but if anybody does, I hope its due to their actions, not others

I am sick of all this Brexit didn’t fuck us. It did and it has. All so people could pretend they are stopping foreign people coming over. Brexit was a racist vote generally backed by folk who think we shouldn’t have foreign people in the uk but want to spend their retirement in Spain, Portugal etc

it royally fucked one of my work opportunities as it is harder and more expensive to get a visa for me as a British person than an EU citizen. 

52 minutes ago, Big E said:

I am sick of all this Brexit didn’t fuck us. It did and it has. All so people could pretend they are stopping foreign people coming over. Brexit was a racist vote generally backed by folk who think we shouldn’t have foreign people in the uk but want to spend their retirement in Spain, Portugal etc

it royally fucked one of my work opportunities as it is harder and more expensive to get a visa for me as a British person than an EU citizen. 

You’re just not trying hard enough, obvs 

9 hours ago, wanderer1984 said:

The problem is, is that you are describing things at a micro not a macro level, that and its utter inanity.

'Its the work hard and it doesn't matter what happens with the national economy you will be fine' line so beloved of those that don't see the problems until they are there or the I worked hard and have a house rather than buy fancy coffee mob, which is so utterly wrong that'd I'd be tempted to ask you to sit in some of those school classes rather than build them furniture.

The country is poorer, this even effects those school budgets, and as budgest get cut work decreases for those reliant on the public sector as wages are stagnant in the face of inflation, or in the private where there is less money in the public purse to afford things.

Some people do well out of downturns, always have, but the vast majority get increasingly poorer, no matter how many hours are put in. Mortagages and Rents soaring and if you don't have the means for a second job or ability to engineer new clients to cut the cloth then goodbye.

The arrogance, and lets be honest sheer stupidity, of some to even ask the question - 'well are you hungry?' 'No?' 'Well, no problem then is there, pal' In the face of millions of people in the UK being fed by foodbanks in the seventh richest economy in the world is breathtaking, shameful and pinpoints just how fucking low we've fallen as a collective country; whilst all the time the government weedles at those divisions to remain in power and those idiotic enough to bite do.

Apologies, there is some strong perjoratives there, but after everything we've been through in the past decade, the state the country is in and everything that was warned about or even visible throughout history, that some people can still spit Tebbit-esque rot is something really starts to stick in the craw - although is shows how so many people were led to drink from this particular Brexit trough.

Personally I'm chasing late billing clients, I've not had a day off since christmas and thats literally not in an oh that was a nice bank holiday weekend back to Mon-Fri sort of way, not one day where I have not been with clients, working, billing, whatever - was hoping for a few days next week with the kids but a potentional new job has come up so I'm lucky enough to still have parents I can ask down to look after the kids whilst I pitch but still I understand I'm luckier than most but - and get this - it doesn't mean:

- Brexit hasn't economically impacted the country

- As a country we are poorer

- People have less money 

- and finally that Hard Work isn't just the magic arrow, as many equally hard working Britains would I'm sure, love to tell you.

• Site Supporter

I’ll say it again

As a manufacturer in the steel industry, Brexit has negatively affected us. We lost customers in the EU and still cannot get them back, a DIRECT result of the vote. Despite being told it would make things easier.

As a result, I know lads who have been in less well paid jobs for the last few years and their quality of life has deteriorated when we were told it would IMPROVE. These are grafters, genuine self-reliant lads that have had their careers knocked by it.

1 hour ago, Big E said:

Brexit was a racist vote generally backed by folk who think we shouldn’t have foreign people in the uk but want to spend their retirement in Spain, Portugal etc

Everyone that voted brexit is racist?

10 hours ago, wanderer1984 said:

Well those people who are just about making ends meet are going to see their food bill rise. The food banks are just going to get busier. It is totally self inflicted.

2 minutes ago, wanderer1984 said:

I am going with yes. From the people I have come across. Maybe not EDL racist but many people did it to stop certain people 

14 minutes ago, Spider said:

I’ll say it again

As a manufacturer in the steel industry, Brexit has negatively affected us. We lost customers in the EU and still cannot get them back, a DIRECT result of the vote. Despite being told it would make things easier.

As a result, I know lads who have been in less well paid jobs for the last few years and their quality of life has deteriorated when we were told it would IMPROVE. These are grafters, genuine self-reliant lads that have had their careers knocked by it.

I get that mate. Thing is nobody knows what could have been if everything stayed the same.

Things have improved for some since brexit.

I've said before ... I don't know if brexit has impacted me good or bad. I'm doing good but I personally don't think it's down to brexit.

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, wanderer1984 said:

Not everyone who voted Leave is racist, but you can guarantee that every racist voted Leave.

6 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Not everyone who voted Leave is racist, but you can guarantee that every racist voted Leave.

Most were just ill informed and were taken in by leave lies. 

9 minutes ago, wanderer1984 said:

I get that mate. Thing is nobody knows what could have been if everything stayed the same.

Things have improved for some since brexit.

I've said before ... I don't know if brexit has impacted me good or bad. I'm doing good but I personally don't think it's down to brexit.

Yes we fucking do, in that our trading relationships would have been maintained.

And it's done worse for more than have benefitted - who are overwhelmingly the richest in society anyway.

Honestly, I swear if some folk had brains they'd be dangerous. Apologies for the exasperation but this isn't just about opinions, there are facts that you either aren't aware of or choose to ignore (I'm thinking it's the latter)