Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

12 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Have you not told him it's just  "tough shit" and he should just retrain in another career/industry

Sadly that’s precisely what happens, it’ll occur more and more as our economy changes and employers need employees with different skills. The key is are we creating more jobs and are they good quality jobs. 

2 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Hardly rampant!

You said there was no inflation post the referendum when clearly there was and if you think food deflation of -2% prior to June '16 to +4% inflation isn't significant then you live in a different world to everyone else. Just for your info the company I worked for at the time didn't get full recovery on those price increase negotiations because they didn't have the scale of larger companies in their category so we had to make 10% of the workforce redundant. I know already they will be in the same position following the recent fluctuation in the $ rate

4 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Can't see anything that refers to past 5 years?

Just a comment from1989 to present.

Wouldn't this fluctuate with oil prices anyhow? All farming is based around the combustion engine as are deliveries across the sea.

click on the 5y tab below the chart and you will see the detail...i wish i knew how to embed a pic

The prices we paid was a 'landed' price. The oil price impacted on the fuel rates and indeed added to the overall cost inflation as they were buying £100k of fuel a week. Not to mentioned the impact on packaging that was also impacted by rising oil costs  

32 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

You said there was no inflation post the referendum when clearly there was and if you think food deflation of -2% prior to June '16 to +4% inflation isn't significant then you live in a different world to everyone else. Just for your info the company I worked for at the time didn't get full recovery on those price increase negotiations because they didn't have the scale of larger companies in their category so we had to make 10% of the workforce redundant. I know already they will be in the same position following the recent fluctuation in the $ rate

You quoted food inflation, I quoted inflation, I really can’t see why you focused on a one narrow aspect.

16 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

You quoted food inflation, I quoted inflation, I really can’t see why you focused on a one narrow aspect.

It's the same with general inflation as well.... My reference to food inflation was made as i was very close to the detail at the time but the same cost pressures apply to all industries that source raw materials outside of the UK. The facts are not your friend mate

https://www.statista.com/statistics/270384/inflation-rate-in-the-united-kingdom/

2 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

It's the same with general inflation as well.... My reference to food inflation was made as i was very close to the detail at the time but the same cost pressures apply to all industries that source raw materials outside of the UK. The facts are not your friend mate

https://www.statista.com/statistics/270384/inflation-rate-in-the-united-kingdom/

Inflation is +1.84% v last year?

46 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Inflation is +1.84% v last year?

I'm not an economist but my understanding of inflation is it's the rate of increase in a basket of comparables over time so yes, the rate they quote will be v the previous year. The 2017 rate was 2.7% higher than 2016 and the rate hasn't been as low since. 

Edited by Salford Trotter

1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Sadly that’s precisely what happens, it’ll occur more and more as our economy changes and employers need employees with different skills. The key is are we creating more jobs and are they good quality jobs. 

More jobs? Good quality jobs? Where is this from, or have you just made this up?

• Members
On 03/08/2019 at 04:19, paulhanley said:

How very typical. I deviate from your liberal world view, therefore I am intolerant. An absolute classic of the genre. The way you people do this is quite staggering. I call out Muslim rape gangs and the people who turned a blind eye to it - and that makes me intolerant.

The prevailing intolerance in this country is toxic, didactic liberal intolerance. You won't find conservatives trying to no platform or silence points of view. You win debates with the power of your arguments, not by silencing the opposition. 

I am a conservative. I want to see a society where people thrive as a result of their own efforts and are able to do so as a result of the state getting out of their way as much as possible. I'd like to see the efforts of these individuals unhindered by bureaucracy and regulation as much as possible but assisted by education and the provision of transport and social infrastructure that provides them with the platform. I'd like this to be a country where people have a total respect for and connection with democracy because they are close to the people they elect. I believe in the nation state as the upper limit of democracy. I'd like the views of everyone to be respected - and that includes people who have the hubris to refer to themselves as "progressive" respecting conservative trains of thought even if they disagree with them.

There was a famous quote from an American politician. "The trouble with our liberal friends isn't that they are ignorant, it is that they know so much that isn't so."  Never a truer word spoken. You don't know everything. Your world view isn't the only one in town. 

I would vote for this man.

Excellent post.

• Site Supporter
11 hours ago, Salford Trotter said:

I'm not an economist but my understanding of inflation is it's the rate of increase in a basket of comparables over time so yes, the rate they quote will be v the previous year. The 2017 rate was 2.7% higher than 2016 and the rate hasn't been as low since. 

Don't economists say a certain amount of inflation is beneficial?

Deflation (as you showed in your wheat analysis) isn't good.

Low interest rates etc following on.

There are pros and cons to any situation, unless it's rampant increases/decreases.

An old gaffer of mine paid off his mortgage in about five years iirc in the seventies, as inflation and subsequent wages went through the roof. Lucky sod :)

50 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Don't economists say a certain amount of inflation is beneficial?

Deflation (as you showed in your wheat analysis) isn't good.

Low interest rates etc following on.

There are pros and cons to any situation, unless it's rampant increases/decreases.

An old gaffer of mine paid off his mortgage in about five years iirc in the seventies, as inflation and subsequent wages went through the roof. Lucky sod :)

The point raised by BD was that it was his assertion that inflation hadn't been impacted by the £ losing value against other currencies and my point was that it had been, which i proved. Food inflation moved 6 percentage points and general inflation quadrupled over the following 2 years. The fact that we are now seeing the same pattern happening points to another spike in inflation as the increased costs feed through the supply chain. 

The merits of low inflation/deflation is a completely different point entirely and though i have my personal view i wouldn't feel qualified to comment further. 

16 hours ago, Salford Trotter said:

He has been guilty of making lots of things up in this thread so I'd be interested to see the detail

It seems you and I may be waiting for a while, although I wait in hope.

He’s taking the Trump approach - just brazenly make things up and claim it’s true. It doesn’t matter if someone calls bullshit, just ignore it and carry on.

51 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Read my post again, I said the key is ARE we creating new jobs, you are clearly not reading what I said and making up in your own mind what you think I said. 

The use of the rhetorical question in response to my neighbour’s job loss and article about the job market in the City going into reverse was clearly intended to suggest that it’s ok because new good quality jobs are being created.

If you’re now trying to suggest that you didn’t mean that and that it was a genuine question / a point of consideration, then can I say that the answer is no. As per the article, which you misinterpreted.

6 minutes ago, Jol_BWFC said:

The use of the rhetorical question in response to my neighbour’s job loss and article about the job market in the City going into reverse was clearly intended to suggest that it’s ok because new good quality jobs are being created.

If you’re now trying to suggest that you didn’t mean that and that it was a genuine question / a point of consideration, then can I say that the answer is no. As per the article, which you misinterpreted.

I was talking about the overall picture and not your friends situation. The article states there has been a short term blip but vacancies are now begin to increase. Of course as a remainer you choose to interpret the article in the most negative light.  

14 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I was talking about the overall picture and not your friends situation. The article states there has been a short term blip but vacancies are now begin to increase. Of course as a remainer you choose to interpret the article in the most negative light.  

Wow. If you can read that article and come up with that interpretation, you really are beyond rational thought.