Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

24 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

We can accept uncertainty isn't helping, but plucking figures of £66bn; no doubt another remain centred expert has derived that from tea leaves.

However, as it isn't helpful, then someone finally putting a definite time limit on it is doing the right thing.

And investment in that process is also the right way to go.

S&P report so as independent as you get. Not a problem if you don't agree but what is your estimate of the loss of GDP? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro.co.uk/2019/04/04/britain-already-66000000000-poorer-brexit-9113538/amp/

Edited by Salford Trotter

43 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

S&P report so as independent as you get. Not a problem if you don't agree but what is your estimate of the loss of GDP? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro.co.uk/2019/04/04/britain-already-66000000000-poorer-brexit-9113538/amp/

I'm sure he won't agree. Just because.

I see that the Bank of England has cut its growth forecast for this year and next year, even if we do get a deal.  No deal and it will be even worse.

As you say, it's very clear that the amount we save in payments to the EU has been obliterated by the much greater economic losses we are suffering and will suffer.

• Site Supporter
45 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

Not a fucking clue. And frankly, given governments and all sorts of expert groups continually get "estimates" wrong I don't care.

I could equally say, if we'd left when we should have, we'd now be 50bn better off, and with no way of proving it otherwise, you would be in the same situation.

All too easy to come up with negative info when it suits.

Funny, when the chancellor and his crew analysed TM deal, they came to the conclusion that it would yield a smidgen less than remaining. He announced it to the HoC and said it surprised him.

Well then if that was the case, why the hell did he spend so much time pre vote denouncing it along with his accolytes Osborne at Al, with immediate devastating consequences? All proved complete and utter horse shit.

Moreover, does it not seem a tad coincidental that the new figures conveniently fit into the narrative of the government at the time he said it?

You, and lots of others keep posting links with various levels of doom associated with them.

Folk don't believe it, those horses bolted long ago and are now grazing with shergar, they don't trust them and on that basis don't give a fuck.

But they do see things and have life experiences, and make judgements upon that. Thick cunts they are.

• Site Supporter
18 minutes ago, Jol_BWFC said:

I'm sure he won't agree. Just because.

I see that the Bank of England has cut its growth forecast for this year and next year, even if we do get a deal.  No deal and it will be even worse.

As you say, it's very clear that the amount we save in payments to the EU has been obliterated by the much greater economic losses we are suffering and will suffer.

I prefer not to read into it the convenient bits and not the other stuff.

You know, how it refers to political paralysis in the house of commons. Strange that, the very folk who didn't want it, slowing it down, showing no leadership, and introducing uncertainty.

The same uncertainty that applied when the public were told a recession is coming; what did they do- slowed spending making a recession happen quicker.

Whichever way you choose to dress it, the spending and in investment drops come about when leadership is poor and significant amounts of conflicting information appear in the public domain, from people who should know better.

These spending drops aren't as a result of a poor economy and jobs are strong and wages are growing (I'll take that with a pinch of salt though as it's easy to just say).

However, if left to continue, then it may switch over and become a problem, at which point it will become brexit's fault.

And the loathsome anti democratic MPs can pat themselves on the back and say "didn't we do well"

Like it or not Johnson has introduced a positive attitude which hopefully will go some way to allaying people's concerns and stop a downturn.

Edited by Tonge moor green jacket

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Not a fucking clue. And frankly, given governments and all sorts of expert groups continually get "estimates" wrong I don't care.

I could equally say, if we'd left when we should have, we'd now be 50bn better off, and with no way of proving it otherwise, you would be in the same situation.

All too easy to come up with negative info when it suits.

Funny, when the chancellor and his crew analysed TM deal, they came to the conclusion that it would yield a smidgen less than remaining. He announced it to the HoC and said it surprised him.

Well then if that was the case, why the hell did he spend so much time pre vote denouncing it along with his accolytes Osborne at Al, with immediate devastating consequences? All proved complete and utter horse shit.

Moreover, does it not seem a tad coincidental that the new figures conveniently fit into the narrative of the government at the time he said it?

You, and lots of others keep posting links with various levels of doom associated with them.

Folk don't believe it, those horses bolted long ago and are now grazing with shergar, they don't trust them and on that basis don't give a fuck.

But they do see things and have life experiences, and make judgements upon that. Thick cunts they are.

Maybe you could point to all the positive economic data over the last 3 years to give this debate some balance? As far I can see you can choose to ignore the negative data but it doesn't make it go away. The fact is whichever way we leave, if at all, then we have lost so much ground and the growth prospects you refer to are not likely to deliver anything for decades to come.  

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

You know, how it refers to political paralysis in the house of commons. Strange that, the very folk who didn't want it, slowing it down, showing no leadership, and introducing uncertainty.

The same uncertainty that applied when the public were told a recession is coming; what did they do- slowed spending making a recession happen quicker.

Whichever way you choose to dress it, the spending and in investment drops come about when leadership is poor and significant amounts of conflicting information appear in the public domain, from people who should know better.

These spending drops aren't as a result of a poor economy and jobs are strong and wages are growing (I'll take that with a pinch of salt though as it's easy to just say).

However, if left to continue, then it may switch over and become a problem, at which point it will become brexit's fault.

And the loathsome anti democratic MPs can pat themselves on the back and say "didn't we do well"

Like it or not Johnson has introduced a positive attitude which hopefully will go some way to allaying people's concerns and stop a downturn.

So if it all goes tits up in November when we leave with No Deal, would you admit you were wrong?

23 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Granted, Johnson has lots of positive messages to share but this is only empty rhetoric when you take into account the damage a No Deal Brexit will do to the economy. How would feel being a Welsh farmer facing crippling tariffs should we go WTO? How does he keep his staff employed if 50% of his business relies on tariff free access to the EU?  You can't buy things with positive messages, what businesses need is certainty that those markets are still accessible after 31st October 

2 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

Granted, Johnson has lots of positive messages to share but this is only empty rhetoric when you take into account the damage a No Deal Brexit will do to the economy. How would feel being a Welsh farmer facing crippling tariffs should we go WTO? How does he keep his staff employed if 50% of his business relies on tariff free access to the EU?  You can't buy things with positive messages, what businesses need is certainty that those markets are still accessible after 31st October 

I don't think he has any intention at all of going "no deal" anyway

7 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I don't think he has any intention at all of going "no deal" anyway

Well he has said we are leaving on 31st October.

How does he do that without no deal ?

An extension would cause him a great deal of embarrassment.

4 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

I know, doesn't mean it won't happen

It also might not be the first time he have changed his mind on something either. Hopefully we will leave on 31st October, I just can't see it, as I don't think either side will let "no deal" happen

Do you think that we're definitely leaving on 31st October, and there is no way at all that we'll still be in on 1st November?

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

Theresa said exactly the same. 

The only difference this time is - there's no excuse. Brexiters can't accuse Johnson of being a secret Remainer. Can they....? 

Edited by Cheese

3 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

He and Cummings will already have an excuse lined up - why do you think he was one of the first appointments...? 

Get ready for “Out of my hands”... “the current parliamentary maths that May left behind”.... “remainer MPs who want to frustrate the will of the people”.... “Labour and Lib Dem democracy deniers”... “help me to beat the sore losers”.

His audience will lap it up.

The question is, will he need to go to a GE to succeed? I imagine so and that’s why Cummings is really there.

• Site Supporter
27 minutes ago, Jol_BWFC said:

He and Cummings will already have an excuse lined up - why do you think he was one of the first appointments...? 

Get ready for “Out of my hands”... “the current parliamentary maths that May left behind”.... “remainer MPs who want to frustrate the will of the people”.... “Labour and Lib Dem democracy deniers”... “help me to beat the sore losers”.

His audience will lap it up.

The question is, will he need to go to a GE to succeed? I imagine so and that’s why Cummings is really there.

He's already said it's all the EU's fault.

48 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I know, doesn't mean it won't happen

It also might not be the first time he have changed his mind on something either. Hopefully we will leave on 31st October, I just can't see it, as I don't think either side will let "no deal" happen

Do you think that we're definitely leaving on 31st October, and there is no way at all that we'll still be in on 1st November?

I expect we'll still be in on 1st November, I'm just wondering how he saves face with his supporters. He was absolutely adamant we are leaving in October during the leadership campaign.

48 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Theresa said exactly the same. 

The only difference this time is - there's no excuse. Brexiters can't accuse Johnson of being a secret Remainer. Can they....? 

She did but BJ has just won a leadership election based on that promise. 

• Site Supporter
Just now, Jol_BWFC said:

He can’t blame the EU for us failing to leave on a no-deal basis. He can only blame the EU for us failing to agree a deal.

Which is why No Deal is his preferred outcome.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

It’s quite clear that what Johnson is doing is what the EU have done from day 1, the EU precondition is they won’t change the backstop, and the EU have tried their level best to frighten the U.K. into accepting the deal that suits the EU, funny that when our PM does the same it’s all wrong and that an ex civil servant jumps on Johnson’s negotiating stance. Shove it up them Boris your doing a great job. 🇬🇧

The backstop was put in at the request of the UK

As you were

• Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

That’s why she’s sacked and so is Olly. 

So remind us what the current bunch have come up with to replace the Backstop/resolve the Irish Border situation? Or are you simply trusting them to come up with something in the next 3 months, after having had 3 years to think about it?