Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Preston h

globaldiver

13 minutes ago, bwfc2003 said:

Anyone having problems with on line ticketing?

Just get the blue squirly circle thing go round and round

Too many people trying to access it, house full signs going up soon. 

(Try it in a different browser, just worked ok for me on Chrome although a bit slower than usual)

I can never get worked up for this lot either. Preston remind me a bit of Bradford City or Peterborough. You know they've got a football team but you're not really sure what for.  In my 50 years the only remarkable thing I can think of them doing was having a plastic pitch. They were even late to the party with that one.

I'm impressed with their ticket sales tbf. One of those rare things - An expected away win -must have had some bearing.

4 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Fair fucks to Preston. Impressive by anyone’s standards to take 50% of your home support to an away game. 

Can look at it the other way too, I bet there's loads going that don't bother with many home games. Which suggests they don't support their team very well at home. It's the same with Blackburn, Wigan, Bury & in particular Oldham. They appear to take great away followings compared to home crowds but it comes across as apathy for their boring home games where the atmosphere is flat. We can all get up for a party twice a year but reading on a Tuesday night is no fun.

• Site Supporter
25 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Can look at it the other way too, I bet there's loads going that don't bother with many home games. Which suggests they don't support their team very well at home. It's the same with Blackburn, Wigan, Bury & in particular Oldham. They appear to take great away followings compared to home crowds but it comes across as apathy for their boring home games where the atmosphere is flat. We can all get up for a party twice a year but reading on a Tuesday night is no fun.

Perhaps there's more fun to be had on an away day. Pints with the lads, game of football to watch, more pints with more lads. It isn't peculiar to PNE games. We have our own groups of lads who would rather enjoy away trips than the sterile home games and over-zealous orange jacketed warriors, 

I think Wigan/Blackburn/Preston enjoy coming to our stadium at the moment because they're fairly sure they'll get a result + the likelihood of trouble is reasonably slim.

None of them brought such numbers to Burnden, which was a bit more moody back in the day to be fair.

We've gone soft and the team are a soft touch.

56 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Perhaps there's more fun to be had on an away day. Pints with the lads, game of football to watch, more pints with more lads. It isn't peculiar to PNE games. We have our own groups of lads who would rather enjoy away trips than the sterile home games and over-zealous orange jacketed warriors, 

Yeah I get that and I'm no different in preferring a good away day to a normal home game. I just think as well as recognising good away support from PNE,  especially at KA prices, we can question why so many don't seem to bother with home games. There is no reason why they should be getting lower gates than a basket case club like us. Same with Blackburn.

2 hours ago, Biganddaft said:

If u go on their forum all they can talk about is how many they are bringing a couple of them are close to orgasm talking about it, we regularly take 4000 to them and Wigan and Blackburn but its hardly ever mentioned on here, I am more interested how we play than how many we take, different if its a few hundred away at Reading on a Tuesday night then I will comment on Loyal supporters but a 15 minute drive down the motorway nah

Fucking hell, you don't half exaggerate.  

Proper ott saying all we're talking about is how many we're bringing, and a couple are close to orgasm. 

In fact, it's pretty much a mirror image of this thread: 

If anything, with a bit less tugging involved.

You don't "regularly" bring 4k to ours either. Not that it matters like, but try and reel the dramatics in a bit next time you have a pop.

You sound like a Blackpool fan. They're notorious for their lying bollocks.

53 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Yeah I get that and I'm no different in preferring a good away day to a normal home game. I just think as well as recognising good away support from PNE,  especially at KA prices, we can question why so many don't seem to bother with home games. There is no reason why they should be getting lower gates than a basket case club like us. Same with Blackburn.

I don't think you can underestimate the impact that a sustained period in the Premiership can have on the support of a club. Loads come crawling out of the woodwork. You'll obviously lose a few due to relegation, but a decent amount do stick around...... just look at Wigan for example.

It'd be interesting to compare the crowds of PNE, Bolton, Blackburn and Burnley, if none of the clubs had ever been in the Prem, but spent a decent amount of time together at the same level.

Edited by PrestonCha

2 hours ago, MickyD said:

It's a good point.

Some clubs just seem to be 'away clubs' - pretty poor/mediocre home support, but consistently good away support (in comparison to home crowds).

Carlisle, Oldham, us and Tranmere immediately come to mind. 

Leeds are the major example. Always have absolutely top table away support, but home support is poor for a club of their size, if they aren't doing anything in the League.