Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Anglo Italian Cup

Marc505

I'm sure this has been covered before in fact I think I might have even started a topic on it myself in the past but hey whatever, vaffanculo.

Article in BN about it today. In some parallel universe where football is still being played and this competition still exists, how many do you think we'd have taken to Pisa? 500 went back in the day before cheap and regular budget flights were a thing.

A week in Tuscany with a Wanderers game in the middle of it would be a dream trip.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/18390426.amp/?__twitter_impression=true

3 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

I’m sure some bolton fans went onto San Marino after this for the England game? 

Yeah was the day after I think, played in Bologna. Had a conversation with someone on Twitter the other day who put a photo up of him on a private coach from Bolton to Pisa, they picked up a load of WBA fans en route who were playing Fiorentina same night then all going to England game together. Different times.

• Site Supporter

Yep, I did the Pisa trip. 6 of us had 3 days out there, it was fcuking magic.

First day/night in Pisa, second day onto Bologna for England v San Marino, next day on it in Bologna.

I can see myself on the last photo in Pisa, Mounts is on there too.

A certain, present day director of BWFC was on the trip too.

Had a 'disagreement' with a Stoke fan in the concourse at the England game. 😁

3 minutes ago, Steejay said:

Yep, I did the Pisa trip. 6 of us had 3 days out there, it was fcuking magic.

First day/night in Pisa, second day onto Bologna for England v San Marino, next day on it in Bologna.

I can see myself on the last photo in Pisa, Mounts is on there too.

A certain, present day director of BWFC was on the trip too.

Had a 'disagreement' with a Stoke fan in the concourse at the England game. 😁

So the San Marino game would of been the failed qualification for USA World Cup? 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

So the San Marino game would of been the failed qualification for USA World Cup? 

Yep, it's when we conceded after 7 seconds, scored 7 but it still wasn't enough.

Holland & Norway finished above us.

Turnip was our leader.

Did I not like that!

Didn't stop us having a jolly good time though. 😉

• Moderators

The Anglo-Italian, I was gutted when Fiorentina were in Stoke's group. I think Oliver Bierhoff played for Ascoli, and obviously Hagi for Brescia in between his spells at Real Madrid and Barcelona. Burnden was packed to the rafters, as per!

9 minutes ago, Carlos said:

The Anglo-Italian, I was gutted when Fiorentina were in Stoke's group. I think Oliver Bierhoff played for Ascoli, and obviously Hagi for Brescia in between his spells at Real Madrid and Barcelona. Burnden was packed to the rafters, as per!

I remember hearing his name over the tannoy and thinking wtf??? 😂 

• Moderators

remember beating Ancona 5-0

they had a man sent off and the scoreboard showed someone walking off saying "early bath" or something

I really thought we'd gone big time with that scoreboard

I went to the Pisa & San Marino games. Bit of a thrown together trip. We went out on the piss in Bolton until around midnight & then got a national express coach to London where we flew out to Pisa for our game. After the Bolton match we planned to get a train to Bologna for the England game but there was a national rail strike. We ended up hiring the ice cream van that was near Pisa train station & he drove us there for a few quid! After the England game we didn't have anywhere to stay & nobody wanted to let us in because we were English - ended up trying to convince some small hotel that we were French - not sure they believed us but we got a room in the end!

I've got a few pics of the game somewhere & when we were in the ground I took a poster off the wall which I've still got framed at home somewhere & it's the same one that's Steejay's avatar.

I must be one of the only people to ever visit Pisa on a leisure trip & not see the leaning tower - don't remember why we didn't make the effort - just stayed in bars for the duration!

2 minutes ago, HazzyinBolton said:

I went to the Pisa & San Marino games. Bit of a thrown together trip. We went out on the piss in Bolton until around midnight & then got a national express coach to London where we flew out to Pisa for our game. After the Bolton match we planned to get a train to Bologna for the England game but there was a national rail strike. We ended up hiring the ice cream van that was near Pisa train station & he drove us there for a few quid! After the England game we didn't have anywhere to stay & nobody wanted to let us in because we were English - ended up trying to convince some small hotel that we were French - not sure they believed us but we got a room in the end!

I've got a few pics of the game somewhere & when we were in the ground I took a poster off the wall which I've still got framed at home somewhere & it's the same one that's Steejay's avatar.

I must be one of the only people to ever visit Pisa on a leisure trip & not see the leaning tower - don't remember why we didn't make the effort - just stayed in bars for the duration!

👋👋 brilliant love stuff like this 

11 minutes ago, HazzyinBolton said:

Fucking ice cream van that is superb! 😆

7 minutes ago, Traf said:

Crazy times, we played six games in about two and a half weeks, I think.

Dec 18th - Grimsby H

22nd - Ascoli A

27th - Sunderland H

28th - Portsmouth! A

Jan 1st - Notts County H

3rd - Wolves A

Only lost at Wolves....

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, HazzyinBolton said:

Ah, & I thought I was the only one in the country with that poster on my wall! Great minds...

Leo Sayer was on our flight out to Pisa, he posed for photos with us but we still burst out with 'I'm a one man band' every 10 minutes on the way over. He must have fuckin hated us by the time we got there.

Our paths must have crossed over a few times while we were there.

There were 2/3 Bolton flags at the England game & that's when the Stokie made some comment about us. He probably regretted it...

I got talking to some Chelsea lads at the game & they were planning a days shoplifting for clobber the following day. :ph34r: