Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Goal Posts

Happy Wanderer

4 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

Did any team have nets like QPR, must have been 4 inches deep.

My mate at school was a Stockport fan and I went to about 10 games with him on because they were always played on Friday or Monday nights, 1980 to 82.  We sometimes stood literally behind the goal leaning against the wall on that railway end and I couldn't quite touch the net, its the shallowest football league net I've ever seen.  And it was a disappointing orange colour like what we'd use at school.  I used to see Lou Macari with his son too.  God I'm bored.  

2 hours ago, Kane57 said:

The blue stripe nets at Burnden were my favourite. A sad day when everyone adopted the same square nets. Give me a nice and deep South American set of nets any day.

We went through that period of having old school nets around 2000 into the first season back in PL that was really unusual compared with what everyone else had. 

I do like a ball getting smashed and stuck in the stanchion, it's a fetish.

11 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

We went through that period of having old school nets around 2000 into the first season back in PL that was really unusual compared with what everyone else had. 

Bloody massive space between goal line & back pegs them 

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Happy Wanderer said:

The photo in the 1923 thread got me thinking about how goal post evolved over the years and the history behind the changes. Strange to think that once they used string tied to the tops 🙃

Here are a few links with some history.

Even though they are not made from wood now we still refer to hitting the 'woodwork'.

https://www.harrodsport.com/advice-and-guides/a-history-of-the-football-goalpost

https://gdfra.org.au/history_of_goalposts.htm

45c418e9b9e90d8451e7a97acd564d5f.jpg

I'll be honest, when i read this first post in a thread about goalposts, i had no idea i would enjoy half as much as i have

Anyway

Who was it who first did Square nets?

(That's a genuine question btw, not a quiz question)

Edited by ZicoKelly

• Moderators
56 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

I'll be honest, when i read this first post in a thread about goalposts, i had no idea i would enjoy half as much as i have

Anyway

Who was it who first did Square nets?

(That's a genuine question btw, not a quiz question)

No idea, but will go with a South American club

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Marc505 said:

That is a work of art. Theres one that Palace scored at Wolves in 90s, might have been Chris Armstrong where he crashed it into the angle too. Certain goal nets can make goals look better!

Neil Whatmore free kick at Sheff Utd in a 3-2 win, Christmas 76 I think. I'd just got in late as he was taking it 😊