Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Mark davies was the best technical player that robbie blake played with

Tungsten3

according to his interview on under the cosh football podcast.

You could tell when sparky had been on the town till 5am in the morning as he went and

hid on the left wing.

Some other interesting tipbits in that coyld strength was to blow smoke up his arse.

(well we knew he was a good cheerleader)

He got similiar money moving from champ to prem (burnley to bolton)

and he didnt want to come to bolton just brain laws was shit.

an interesting listen.

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Kane57 said:

All that analysis and you missed out the most interesting part - that Davies was a fortnight from moving to Chelsea when his knee blew out.

Would've been Mourinho peak era Chelsea too.

Yet folk didn't want him in the team. 🙄

• Members
6 hours ago, HomerJay said:

Yet folk didn't want him in the team. 🙄

He was quality, just utilised wrong. There was game I can’t remember who against when we had a trio of Holden Muamba and Davies and they were all a class above just ran the entire game. Shame injuries happened to all of them.

8 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

He was quality, just utilised wrong. There was game I can’t remember who against when we had a trio of Holden Muamba and Davies and they were all a class above just ran the entire game. Shame injuries happened to all of them.

Had a weird argument on Twitter yesterday with someone who claimed the loss of those three plus Lee through injury wasn't a big deal either for the team or the club as future assets.

Edited by Marc505

• Members
1 minute ago, Marc505 said:

Had a weird argument on Twitter yesterday with someone who claimed the loss of those three plus Lee through injury wasn't a big deal either for the team or the club as future assets.

It was massive absolutely huge. They were probably some of our biggest earners as well. 
Holden is one of the most natural players I’ve seen us have, Muamba on his day bossed anybody and Davies could really turn it on

When we went down we should have been in a position to sell some of those one for a bit of money, but we couldn’t sell any of them. 

For arguments sake if we got a £10m for all of them combined and got them off the books, how many decent Championship players could we have got? They probably would have made a difference to us bouncing straight back into the PL. 

We were unlucky, but we had some shocking injuries under Coyle, probably didn’t help he had them on a Krispy Kreme and Irn bru diet.

The short wearing tee total cunt 😁

The crux of his argument was

1. We were financially fine at the time so missing out on any large sale was no big deal ("and Lee got his move in the end anyway"... though I suggested a deadline day switch to Palace 3 years after he broke his leg isn't quite what he would have been angling for pre Newport)

2. We replaced them all with players of equal quality.

I had to just leave it in the end it sounded like a wind up. As much as it'd sicken us, I could picture Holden in United's midfield within a year, Lee playing at somewhere like Arsenal and Davies the next level up, which we now know would have been Chelsea.

• Members
1 minute ago, Marc505 said:

1. We were financially fine at the time so missing out on any large sale was no big deal ("and Lee got his move in the end anyway"... though I suggested a deadline day switch to Palace 3 years after he broke his leg isn't quite what he would have been angling for pre Newport)

I had to just leave it in the end it sounded like a wind up. As much as it'd sicken us, I could picture Holden in United's midfield within a year, Lee playing at somewhere like Arsenal and Davies the next level up, which we now know would have been Chelsea.

Thing is I doubt we were anywhere close to being financially ok, it just wasn’t under the spotlight as much 

13 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

It was massive absolutely huge. They were probably some of our biggest earners as well. 
Holden is one of the most natural players I’ve seen us have, Muamba on his day bossed anybody and Davies could really turn it on

When we went down we should have been in a position to sell some of those one for a bit of money, but we couldn’t sell any of them. 

For arguments sake if we got a £10m for all of them combined and got them off the books, how many decent Championship players could we have got? They probably would have made a difference to us bouncing straight back into the PL. 

We were unlucky, but we had some shocking injuries under Coyle, probably didn’t help he had them on a Krispy Kreme and Irn bru diet.

The short wearing tee total cunt 😁

A tee total jock 

wtf 

54 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

It'd have been interesting to see how their careers would've panned out. I could definitely see Holden being a mainstay in the engine room of a top six club, because not only did he have the talent but he also had the attitude.

I could be wrong but if Davies went to Chelsea it wouldn't surprise me if his lack of discipline lead to Mourinho quickly giving up on him and allowing him to join a club like Crystal Palace after a couple of seasons.

Lee I think would've gone on to be a quietly efficient, well-liked squad member at somewhere like Arsenal or Spurs. Or maybe more involved at somewhere like Everton.

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Kane57 said:

All that analysis and you missed out the most interesting part - that Davies was a fortnight from moving to Chelsea when his knee blew out.

Would've been Mourinho peak era Chelsea too.

The time line doesn't fit for this apparent near move

If Davies was going to sign for Chelsea it would've been in Jan 2013 when the window was open

At the end of feb 2013 he signed a 4 year extension

Two days later his knee went 

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2013/march/davies-out-for-up-to-ten-months/

Chelsea may have been sniffing around but it doesn't look like he was on the verge of anything, other than the beginning of the end

47 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

It'd have been interesting to see how their careers would've panned out. I could definitely see Holden being a mainstay in the engine room of a top six club, because not only did he have the talent but he also had the attitude.

I could be wrong but if Davies went to Chelsea it wouldn't surprise me if his lack of discipline lead to Mourinho quickly giving up on him and allowing him to join a club like Crystal Palace after a couple of seasons.

Lee I think would've gone on to be a quietly efficient, well-liked squad member at somewhere like Arsenal or Spurs. Or maybe more involved at somewhere like Everton.

There is that, I think the self proclaimed "King Of WS1" might have had some major distractions down in London village...

Loved Mark Davies, and certainly at his best I thought he should’ve been touted for England. 
Terrific dribbler who I thought went completely under the radar. I’ve not seen many better players that could beat a man and turn defence into attack as good as him in a white shirt.

Nonetheless, we were better with Holden and Muamba as a midfield two.
I think if you stuck him in our team in the Allardyce era he’d have gone a lot further. 

The best I ever saw of Mark Davies was at the night game at Arsenal where he was superb & destroying them single handedly ( which made their whining that we only ever beat them by bullying them, look pretty stupid ) so they crocked him with a nasty challenge. We didn't even get a free kick & while he was still on the ground, Arsenal played on, scored & went on to win. As MD was carried off on a stretcher, their fans booed him....complete shithousery from Arsenal. their fans & the referee.

If it had been the other way round, we'd never have heard the end of it.

His late goal at Wolves was good as well !!

• Moderators

I loved Nolan, but I always remember the difference in our midfield from his last game (I think Blackburn) to the following game (Spurs) with Davies in the middle instead was there for all to see

not sure these highlights will show it that much though

Smolarek, completely forgot we had him, I couldnt pick him out in an line up.  Possibly one of SKDs finest hour's that, went under the radar really.  As good a goal as he ever scored for us with his foot and an 87th minute winner against Spurs, a result that went a long way to keeping us up in hindsight.

I know its no secret that we've had more than our fair share of terrible injuries, but reading this really brings it home that a midfield 4 of Davies, Holden, Muamba and Lee that could arguably have been mainstays in the same team for years, all got career ending or threatening injuries within months of each other.  Absolute travesty, for the players themselves firstly but for the club's fortunes.  Although I will say I didnt get the whole Muamba love-in regarding his playing abilities.  I didnt enjoy watching him play at all and it summed up the joylessness of a Megson team, lacking so much in basic ability, he seemed to build a top flight career 90% on being athletic.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I know its no secret that we've had more than our fair share of terrible injuries, but reading this really brings it home that a midfield 4 of Davies, Holden, Muamba and Lee that could arguably have been mainstays in the same team for years, all got career ending or threatening injuries within months of each other.  Absolute travesty, for the players themselves firstly but for the club's fortunes.  Although I will say I didnt get the whole Muamba love-in regarding his playing abilities.  I didnt enjoy watching him play at all and it summed up the joylessness of a Megson team, lacking so much in basic ability, he seemed to build a top flight career 90% on being athletic.

aye, we were definitely unlucky with injuries

part of the problem was replacing Holden and Lee with Reo Coker and Eagles

during this time, we also had Sean Davies out with a long term injury as well

• Members
4 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

aye, we were definitely unlucky with injuries

part of the problem was replacing Holden and Lee with Reo Coker and Eagles

during this time, we also had Sean Davies out with a long term injury as well

I knew Eagles wasn’t up to it when I saw him and his plucked eyebrows