Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

A question about not eating meat

Rudy

• Members
3 hours ago, bolty58 said:

All this extremism.

A little bit of everything. Don't eat much red meat but have no intention whatsoever about cutting it out of my diet completely.

Think it’s the case with most things, all in moderation.

That being said I don’t eat lamb at all and don’t really miss it, if I wanted to I could cut out other meats, maybe not chicken. 

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, jayjayoghani said:

I eat some red meat, not much, but processed meat a different ball game altogether. Strong links with cancer. 

Fucking hell, those hot dogs they sell at the ground are processed. Looking at the positives, the pandemic has got many football fans staving off cancer by not being allowed in the ground. That added to the lack of butter to stave off heart issues and fluffy arteries, we’re all healthy eaters.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Rudy said:

Think it’s the case with most things, all in moderation.

That being said I don’t eat lamb at all and don’t really miss it, if I wanted to I could cut out other meats, maybe not chicken. 

I've gone the other way over the past few years

less chicken, more lamb - though this is really only where curries are concerned

and kebabs

definitely also enjoy a fish a lot more than I used to

• Members
26 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

I've gone the other way over the past few years

less chicken, more lamb - though this is really only where curries are concerned

and kebabs

definitely also enjoy a fish a lot more than I used to

It’s the morality of eating an infant that has stopped me eating it 

Buy mutton then.

I've been told that a lot of places that do curry goat have sourcing issues and often substitute with mutton.

It gets a bad press - there's just a bit more care needed in prep and cooking.

When lambs go to slaughter, yes they're juvenile, but they're big lummoxes by this point - they're not the cute 'easter' style little 'uns seen jumping around the pastures.

• Members
15 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Buy mutton then.

I've been told that a lot of places that do curry goat have sourcing issues and often substitute with mutton.

When lambs go to slaughter, yes they're juvenile, but they're big lummoxes by this point - they're not the cute 'easter' style little 'uns seen jumping around the pastures.

They’re still 6 months old, I’m happy to not eat it , I don’t miss it 

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Buy mutton then.

Aye. Mutton is good.

I also reckon Rudy's chickens are particularly old neither.

https://www.ciwf.org.uk/farm-animals/chickens/meat-chickens/#:~:text=Chickens can live for six,at around 12 weeks old.

Hmm :(

Edited by Tonge moor green jacket

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Aye. Mutton is good.

I also reckon Rudy's chickens are particularly old neither.

https://www.ciwf.org.uk/farm-animals/chickens/meat-chickens/#:~:text=Chickens can live for six,at around 12 weeks old.

Hmm :(

i never touch Broilers and always try for Free Range to settle my conscience. After building an extension at a chicken processing plant and sticking my head around into where the live chickens arrive and have their initial processing I didn't go anywhere near chicken for ages, probably years.

• Members

All good heart warming stuff this not eating veal, lamb etc. - more mutton,only free range chickens - admirable. 

Problem is that when one quarter of the worlds population in one country which doesn't give a shiny about animal welfare/species extinction plus burgeoning populations in 'less enlightened' countries then our efforts are a drop in the ocean. Still a worthwhile effort nonetheless even if only to massage the guilt complexes so prevalent in recent times.

14 hours ago, bolty58 said:

All good heart warming stuff this not eating veal, lamb etc. - more mutton,only free range chickens - admirable. 

Problem is that when one quarter of the worlds population in one country which doesn't give a shiny about animal welfare/species extinction plus burgeoning populations in 'less enlightened' countries then our efforts are a drop in the ocean. Still a worthwhile effort nonetheless even if only to massage the guilt complexes so prevalent in recent times.

Have you seen this yet?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000mn4n

Pretty much puts to bed all the myths about 'less enlightened' countries & 'burgeoning populations'. The efforts of the UK & similar nations are of huge importance & will make a difference.

A massive reduction in meat intake & how it is farmed is part of the solution. 

It's shit for many farmers.. but we all have to adapt, or face a bleak future. We just need to make sure that those whose livelihoods are affected are given the support & incentives to adapt.

Edited by London Wanderer

15 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Is this one country China? I understand the Covid virus made the jump because of factory farms pushing the peasant farmers into the forest margins. I have always felt the pandemic has been nature's check & balances kicking in.

I prefer to eat locally shot pheasant and venison and trout from Rutland Water. I am friends with the local deer stalker who tells me the deer are doing "too well" and has to cull them to my benefit but I refuse to eat factory broilers, you are correct that I eat free range chicken to relieve my conscience but in the end they still have to be factory processed which is harrowing.

A balanced diet is what is required at the end of the day, trying to avoid processed food and meats at all costs as they will knacker your guts and clog your arteries.

• Members
6 hours ago, London Wanderer said:

Have you seen this yet?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000mn4n

Pretty much puts to bed all the myths about 'less enlightened' countries & 'burgeoning populations'. The efforts of the UK & similar nations are of huge importance & will make a difference.

A massive reduction in meat intake & how it is farmed is part of the solution. 

It's shit for many farmers.. but we all have to adapt, or face a bleak future. We just need to make sure that those whose livelihoods are affected are given the support & incentives to adapt.

Won't bother mate. The British Board of Communists outpourings are most often best left unread.

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Won't bother mate. The British Board of Communists outpourings are most often best left unread.

Where’s the best place for balanced news? I’m looking for a new website to get my daily fix from and the guardian and telegraph aren’t doing the trick

8 hours ago, bolty58 said:

It's an Attenborough documentary mate 😆. With some of the world's leading climate scientists and biodiversity experts presenting the facts and solutions. 

Not a Budenovka in sight. Though the African ranger lads could easily be mistaken for a commie....

Good to see someone as respected as Attenborough putting to bed the population myth and the idea that we aren't significant. It's the most important piece of work he's ever done. 

Huge reductions in meat consumption can stop deforestation, emissions and pandemics in their tracks. 

• Site Supporter
15 hours ago, Dimron said:

Is this one country China? I understand the Covid virus made the jump because of factory farms pushing the peasant farmers into the forest margins. I have always felt the pandemic has been nature's check & balances kicking in.

I prefer to eat locally shot pheasant and venison and trout from Rutland Water. I am friends with the local deer stalker who tells me the deer are doing "too well" and has to cull them to my benefit but I refuse to eat factory broilers, you are correct that I eat free range chicken to relieve my conscience but in the end they still have to be factory processed which is harrowing.

A balanced diet is what is required at the end of the day, trying to avoid processed food and meats at all costs as they will knacker your guts and clog your arteries.

You ever done squirrel?

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

You ever done squirrel?

Nope but I'm thinking about it, I have two big fat 'uns in my garden, Mrs Dimron has been feeding them. they are waiting outside her garden workshop door every morning for their nuts

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, deane koontz said:

How much meat do people have in there diet? Everyday?

Just thinking i maybe have it once or twice per week. Normally some fish or chicken. Probably could live off scrambled egg though ::lol::.

More than that. Most days, but reduced quantities.