Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Scummy food that hits the spot

bolton_blondie

I'd forgotten some folk might buy 330ml cans of ale, hardly worth opening one.

Have a very nostalgic yearning for a tin of potatoes from time to time, reminds me of shit camping and caravan holidays.

Love some bacon grill as well but that's a premium item these days with the price of it.

Is bacon hotpot with just potato, wate, bacon, onion a scummy food or is the height of traditional Lancashire cuisine?

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Have a very nostalgic yearning for a tin of potatoes from time to time, reminds me of shit camping and caravan holidays.

Love some bacon grill as well but that's a premium item these days with the price of it.

Is bacon hotpot with just potato, wate, bacon, onion a scummy food or is the height of traditional Lancashire cuisine?

Tinned potatoes on a salad, covered with salad cream

That screams delicacy

• Members

The first sign of summer and me mam would make a salad consisting of lettuce, eggs, beetroot, coleslaw , roast chicken and those baby potatoes out of a tin. I don’t know why but they were delicious 

She would always make too much mash on a Sunday so what she would do is keep the mash in the fridge the next day she would flatten it out and fry them, crispy and fluffy 

Throw them on a couple of oven bottoms , plenty of salt and vinegar 

Thats probably as scummy as I would now get 

The scummy potatoes in a tin

my mum made em posh

served cold with mint sauce on em in a salad

salad was lettuce and tomato

god  bless her

couldnt cook to save her life

but I have fond memories of her keeping food warm till 10:30 at night for my dad

🥴

good job white horse in westhoughton didn’t serve food or he’d have never have come home

Edited by Mona

58 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Bacon grill, fried up...

Probably not had that since I was eight.

You're not wrong about the price...

£2.39 a can at the corner shop.

Used to love boiled ham from Fraser's with mixed pickles on light flourcakes as a kid, we only got them when our aunties visited, our mam would be obliged to feed them so...

Edited by Youri McAnespie

3 hours ago, bolton_blondie said:

I love pineapple on pizza

No. Just no

3 hours ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Don't mind fruit infused cheese either.

Don’t get me started you fucking Neanderthal. The only time fruit and cheese should ever come together is a slice of Christmas cake with a slice of Wensleydale. No fruit infused cheese. No fucking pineapple burned on top of cheap, tasteless, bottom end mozzarella 

3 hours ago, Spider said:

Pineapple exists only for pizza purposes.

Its one of few things Italians get wrongly upset about.

Pizza should only ever be tomato base, quality mozzarella and fresh basil. Pineapple. Fucking pineapple. If you want pineapple on pizza you should be forced to recover it from your rectum before serving

3 hours ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Fresh Pineapple on its own is one of the finest fruits.

Exactly. And that’s how it should be. Maybe with some Greek yoghurt and a sprinkling of granola to demonstrate one’s metrosexuality if required

I can see an argument for most food and snacks on this thread.  I've been a martyr to pot noodle buttys, bacon hoptpot, gravy on fish, etc etc.

Just 2 things I'd never touch.  The poor kids next door to us used to have sugar buttys! Slice of buttered warbys, coated in tate and lyles finest. However, even that's almost acceptable compared to those dirty mingers who put pineapple on pizza.