Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Christmas Do's

bolton_blondie

• Members

Before all our contracts were changed to WFH our offices were in Earby which is just past Colne.  Most of my colleagues live over that way so Christmas Do's tend to be in that neck of the woods.  No chance I'm forking out for a hotel just to go to it ... and there's fucking no way I'd drive over and not drink.

18 hours ago, bolton_blondie said:

Just been informed I've been booked onto our works Xmas do (moat house, classy) anyone else being mythered to fucking death? It's like some of them don't go out. Dunno why they want me to go. I just get pissed and insult people. 

fuck me ive not put the big light on at night yet 

or the heating

1 hour ago, athywhite1958 said:

in years gone by you were guaranteed a scrap between a couple of lads from different departments, usually over a woman

There was always drama, usually a fight with the lads in media, again over ladies and too much coke.

One bloke had been there for two weeks came in and was promptly sacked and sent home for coming onto a girl.too strongly when she'd told him to fuck.off

He had a pregnant wife at home. Bet that went down well.

One bloke was done by the police for taking up skirt photos. 

Was carnage for a.few years.

18 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

There was always drama, usually a fight with the lads in media, again over ladies and too much coke.

One bloke had been there for two weeks came in and was promptly sacked and sent home for coming onto a girl.too strongly when she'd told him to fuck.off

He had a pregnant wife at home. Bet that went down well.

One bloke was done by the police for taking up skirt photos. 

Was carnage for a.few years.

Proper do's

I smashed a £1,700 table one year falling over on it, went over in front of everyone.

The best was one girl was in the lift, it was at centrepoint the top floor so folk were going up and down smoking outside all night. Doors of the lift open and she spews all over the CEO's wife. 

One bloke woke up in the lavs, been in there all.night, cleaners woke him up.

Media agencies are messy as fuck, or rather they used to be, younger folk are a little less liquid lunch and more about going to the gym.

• Moderators

back in 2001, had our works do at The Metropolitan in Didsbury

John Thomson was a local, who was always in there getting drunk and twatty, around the time he was well known for Cold Feet and the press were going after him with stories about being a drunk twat and pushing his pregnant mrs down the stairs and stuff like that

anyway

come closing time there's me, my boss and another guy left in the pub

and him and his mate chatting in the corner

I want to meet him becuase he's Fat Bob, and my boss was a fan of Cold Feet

so we go over and say hello

he invites us to join him and at first is dead friendly and chatty but quite clearly leathered

anyway, we're off, and my boss' parting words were "good luck mate and don't let those bastards at the press get you down", and then it went something like:

"you what?" (starts to turn)

"the press, bastartds"

"what you on about"

"well you know"

"what are you saying?"

"eh?"

"who are you?"

"no one"

"WHO ARE YOU"

"whats in your breifcase" (getting angry)

"nothing"

"open it"

"no"

"open it now" (visibily angry)

"no"

he starts to try and wrestle the breifcase off him, in the end, my boss said

"ok, ok, I'll open it"

fat bob then scatters the contents all over the place, then pulls out a phone charger - i.e. a plug on with a cable coming from it

"i fucking knew it, you're press, you're recording this"

and then he goes for us, but by now the staff have gathered and grab him and hold him back

and he's there with a few staff holding him back, looking at us, frothing at the mouth with bulging eyes giving it "you're fucking dead etc"

so we left

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Carlos said:

Fat blobby bastard.

he seemed to want to talk about serious acting roles and ideas for projects he wanted to do

but I kept going on about video diaries and all that

I did managed to get him to tell me that his favourite character he'd played was "Joe Beasley and Cheeky Monkey

I always thought Manchester was both uninterested and equally unwilling to grass or stitch-up their famous residents...

It was an open secret John Thompson was holed up in The Hilton - a Quarter Howard Hughes, quarter Ollie Reed, quarter Linton Alan Partridge, quarter poundshop Tony Montana.

As was the fact Craig Charles had taken residence at a smart expensive townhouse near Quay Street and turned it, almost overnight into a crackhouse cum Wino's den of unimaginable squalor...

I always thought around these parts people were uninterested in these sordid tales, apart from in passing conversation.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

• Members
1 minute ago, Not in Crawley said:

Something you want to say re Guardiola? 

Haha no definitely not.

More of when I was a student and working in places to get beer tokens. Some bosses would be getting knocks from the OB nowadays  

Christmas dos have the sole aim to put the workers in their place.

Get them pissed and let them loose, for months afterwards they're all quiet and embarrassed. Management fodder, you can walk all over them and not one of them will ask for a pay rise or extra holiday... well worth the investment of a free bar.