Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Them Wigan C **nts.

Burndens Bogs

I'm in my early forties. If your my age, Blackpool just don't register (unless your name is Gonzo for obvious reasons). I'm well aware of the history, and love PaulHanleys takedowns, but the truth is we've hardly played them in 30 years.  Wigan, my natural instinct is to be aloof, but them being our main rival is where we have been at for a decade or so to be honest. Does feel like times are changing, but thought they were goners last time so don't want to assume to much this time. 

I have no hatred for Blackpool. Or PNE or Blackburn for that matter. They are rivals. It’s an age thing. Inherited from my dad who was from the 30’s era onwards. Proper Lancashire clubs with history. No hatred just rivalry 

To pinch a description from someone on here, “Wigan are a skid mark of a club”. Small, offensive, stink the place out and need flushing. Same as Tranmere

3 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

I have no hatred for Blackpool. Or PNE or Blackburn for that matter. They are rivals. It’s an age thing. Inherited from my dad who was from the 30’s era onwards. Proper Lancashire clubs with history. No hatred just rivalry 

To pinch a description from someone on here, “Wigan are a skid mark of a club”. Small, offensive, stink the place out and need flushing. Same as Tranmere

If its a question of hatred rather than rivalry , who do we hate the most ? and dont say man utd its a given .  I got taken to matches against blackburn  and burnley in the late 70s /80s and it was fuckin hideous, but I was a nipper.  didnt understand that seeing Jim McDonagh score a goal was the whistle to beat the shit out of anyone near you. 

Fast forward 10 years or so and Tranmere were irrelevant , then suddenly instant hatred , bury just cos they hated us so hated them back .  donkeys and lillys never registered , neither did blackburn .  In 93 after our promotion I went on a night out round blackburn in me bolton top , bit of banter but nothing else other than handshakes , even went up cavendish/peppermint place a year later in a bolton top and nothing. 

Suddenly out of nowhere , stockport piss me off as much as when they had kevin francis and sold him for 2 mill where as we only got 550 for andy walker , and now I hate hate hate wigan more than tranmere , wtf did that happen ? 

So is it the more you play the more you hate ?  One of the most bizzarre hatreds in football must be the Bolton/Arsenal , now I couldnt give a shit as they have to suffer VAR and we dont . 

So now who do I hate ? cant even bring myself to hate ipswich ........so wigan it must be ......tho I could go and start a punch up in Clitheroe , Its just down the road. 

2 hours ago, Krimzon said:

If its a question of hatred rather than rivalry , who do we hate the most ? and dont say man utd its a given .  I got taken to matches against blackburn  and burnley in the late 70s /80s and it was fuckin hideous, but I was a nipper.  didnt understand that seeing Jim McDonagh score a goal was the whistle to beat the shit out of anyone near you. 

Fast forward 10 years or so and Tranmere were irrelevant , then suddenly instant hatred , bury just cos they hated us so hated them back .  donkeys and lillys never registered , neither did blackburn .  In 93 after our promotion I went on a night out round blackburn in me bolton top , bit of banter but nothing else other than handshakes , even went up cavendish/peppermint place a year later in a bolton top and nothing. 

Suddenly out of nowhere , stockport piss me off as much as when they had kevin francis and sold him for 2 mill where as we only got 550 for andy walker , and now I hate hate hate wigan more than tranmere , wtf did that happen ? 

So is it the more you play the more you hate ?  One of the most bizzarre hatreds in football must be the Bolton/Arsenal , now I couldnt give a shit as they have to suffer VAR and we dont . 

So now who do I hate ? cant even bring myself to hate ipswich ........so wigan it must be ......tho I could go and start a punch up in Clitheroe , Its just down the road. 

Aye its definitely where you live, the generation you're in and all a result of not having a proper traditional rival. Or having one that went on to be a global enterprise.

I will be pleasantly shocked if Wigan don't beat Blackpool.

The issue with Wigan of course is that for 25 years they have had owners who put more money into their football team than Bolton do.Having owners who put more money into the football team they have generally had better players and a better team than Bolton for getting on for 15 years.Bolton were so well managed by Allardyce it was not easy for Whelan to pay for a 4th Division team in a non league stadium to become that standard.Before the Dave Whelan spending spree started 25 years ago there were not any strong feelings towards Wigan.In the early days of Whelan's spending spree i wanted them to beat Man City in the 3rd division play offs but unfortunately they didn't.

21 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

The issue with Wigan of course is that for 25 years they have had owners who put more money into their football team than Bolton do.Having owners who put more money into the football team they have generally had better players and a better team than Bolton for getting on for 15 years.Bolton were so well managed by Allardyce it was not easy for Whelan to pay for a 4th Division team in a non league stadium to become that standard.Before the Dave Whelan spending spree started 25 years ago there were not any strong feelings towards Wigan.In the early days of Whelan's spending spree i wanted them to beat Man City in the 3rd division play offs but unfortunately they didn't.

Any stats to support this assertion?

The problem with Wigan is the fans.

They are like the new kid on the block that is desperate to be part of the gang but goes about it in the wrong wsy

Their hatred of us is ingrained. It is passed on from old to young and part of the club's DNA.

That bit i would have no issue with if they had any respect. They don't they are classless fucking scrotes . The club has no history apart from its recent glory and it shows in how they behave.

Generations of my family have been white my seventy year old uncle has tales to tell about the wanderers that his dad told him.Wigan fans have none of that.

We might have a rivalry with other old Lancashire clubs but there is a mutual respect and that comes from our shared histories.

Wigan have nothing and they are nothing.

Wigan can get to fuck

7 minutes ago, batton carrier said:

The problem with Wigan is the fans.

They are like the new kid on the block that is desperate to be part of the gang but goes about it in the wrong wsy

Their hatred of us is ingrained. It is passed on from old to young and part of the club's DNA.

That bit i would have no issue with if they had any respect. They don't they are classless fucking scrotes . The club has no history apart from its recent glory and it shows in how they behave.

Generations of my family have been white my seventy year old uncle has tales to tell about the wanderers that his dad told him.Wigan fans have none of that.

We might have a rivalry with other old Lancashire clubs but there is a mutual respect and that comes from our shared histories.

Wigan have nothing and they are nothing.

Wigan can get to fuck

That's about right. This thread would not have been possible even 5-10 years ago. The behaviour of their support during our darkest days has prompted this. If the turd finally flushes over the next two years and the two clubs go in opposite directions then they'll fade like Tranmere did.

45 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

Have you recovered from your 7-0 twatting at Anfield yet Roger? What an enjoyable little interlude that was. 

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, Krimzon said:

Superb stuff.

You can’t beat a 4am post 😂🍺🍺🍺

I am struggling with the arsenal bit though

I agree it’s all about the generation and location you were in. At school in Salford I was the only Wanderers fan amongst a sea of Utd and City fans, both who had top teams so it was kind of character building. That said, apart from micky taking there was no real animosity and certainly not hatred. At games there was no segregation and fans could mingle until the idiots took over and it became mayhem. I always respected the other old Lanky clubs as much the same as us with proud history’s. Wigan of course were still amateur so they didn’t really come into it then and to be fair Bury were a club we rarely played but many fans did Wanderers one week then Shakers the next when we were away. Times have obviously changed but I can’t say I actually “hate” any club. I might not like them but frankly I’m more content supporting Wanderers than wasting my time disliking others.

Locality matters, as does a bit of mutual respect or otherwise, a bit of 'history', plus, opportunity.

We, currently, have little opportunity to feel like rivals to Everton so they're just that perennial Premiership stragglers who it's about time went down.

We've barely played Blackpool or Preston recently. Preston I'll always recall being helpful to us in our darkest time.

Our views of Bury were always tempered by not playing them that much ... a situation not likely to change ... and it being a rather one-sided dislike. We saw them as noisy upstarts. I suspect Stretford feel that way with us, sadly.

Wigan, a new rivalry, geography based and the behaviour of their locals exacerbates this. Tranmere, are another example of a short term rivalry made worse by gobby fans & a gobby manager. Hopefully gone for good. Salford could replace that if they eventually ever get their act together.

They come & go. But we'll always be Bolton.

I live and work in Wigan so I have to listen to the drivel they spout and how much they hate us etc etc etc ! For me   I go back to the mid to late 70s loved playing Blackpool Burnley and Blackburn and showing them who we are . 

2 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Locality matters, as does a bit of mutual respect or otherwise, a bit of 'history', plus, opportunity.

We, currently, have little opportunity to feel like rivals to Everton so they're just that perennial Premiership stragglers who it's about time went down.

We've barely played Blackpool or Preston recently. Preston I'll always recall being helpful to us in our darkest time.

Our views of Bury were always tempered by not playing them that much ... a situation not likely to change ... and it being a rather one-sided dislike. We saw them as noisy upstarts. I suspect Stretford feel that way with us, sadly.

Wigan, a new rivalry, geography based and the behaviour of their locals exacerbates this. Tranmere, are another example of a short term rivalry made worse by gobby fans & a gobby manager. Hopefully gone for good. Salford could replace that if they eventually ever get their act together.

They come & go. But we'll always be Bolton.

Good summary Dr, much as I feel about it and Salford could as you say become the new rival. Wigan I expect to continue their fall as all the decent players leave and are replaced with kids and freebies, a bit like us in many ways, except we have the resources to bounce back which they don’t Unless their owner fesses up more than he already has.

An interesting read, can see the merits of all the arguments of who to dislike/hate/respect.

But the Salford thing is a head scratcher.   People call Wigan or Tranmere tinpot but they look like they have the history of Real Madrid with the support of Barcelona compared to Salford.  They could win the treble and there will never be a time I consider them to be rivals any more than Atherton LR, you need some sort of fanbase to be rivals with anyone.

13 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

I agree it’s all about the generation and location you were in. At school in Salford I was the only Wanderers fan amongst a sea of Utd and City fans, both who had top teams so it was kind of character building. That said, apart from micky taking there was no real animosity and certainly not hatred. At games there was no segregation and fans could mingle until the idiots took over and it became mayhem. I always respected the other old Lanky clubs as much the same as us with proud history’s. Wigan of course were still amateur so they didn’t really come into it then and to be fair Bury were a club we rarely played but many fans did Wanderers one week then Shakers the next when we were away. Times have obviously changed but I can’t say I actually “hate” any club. I might not like them but frankly I’m more content supporting Wanderers than wasting my time disliking others.

What school in Salford?