Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Claims To Bolton Fame!

gonzo

heres your chance to stake your bolton claim to fame!

mine are....

ive got the penatly spot from burnden park when super john scored that penalty against preston 93..(albeit its now just a piece of mouldy mud)

i officialy had my life life saved at hull....by my dad 93

im on roadrunners bolton goals complitation 1993 in the bradford end celerating mcginlays awfull goal in the middle of thousands of angry bradford fans.

i was on telly when we lost to newcastle at burnden 3-1 in 95 throwing cup of bovril on david ginola,who had just fell 3ft from the pitch to the paddock fence after a tackle from scott green.

met phil neal in tenneriefe and asked for his autograph on post card of a naked lady on the beach....3 weeks after hed been sacked!

met brian edwards and got invited into club lounge..he eventually became physio at braford after leaving bolton.

also my great uncle is the great tommy banks,his brother ralph was not a bad player either!..taught my dad all he knew!

Edited by gonzo

scored a goal on "road to wembley" on soccer am

When Frankie Worthy scored "that goal" against Ipswich and ran over to the paddock to celebrate on his knees, i was in the crowd next to mi dad - Can see my head bobbin in and out of shot. BBC TV fame! You have to pause and rewind it but its me jumping up on a crate!

Oh yeah, another boyhood tale of mischief...Was mucking about under the viaduct near the astro when i got hit in the eye with a stone chucked by one of the lads ( boys will throw stones). Was leggin it home under subway when 2 Bolton players were walking back to Burnden after training at the old ground on Bromwich St. They whisked me into Burnden and i was attended to by the medical staff. Warren Joyce was one but cant for the life of me remember t'other!

• Site Supporter

We played Arsenal on my 16th birthday we won one nil Super John scored, it was on sky, they zoomed in to the Terrace I was there arms aloft with embassy number one blazing away in the mouth, When I got home I paused it and when the parents saw it I got a bollocking!

I never made the game against Plovdiv.......

I had a birthday message read out on that scroeboard at Burnden!

My pals father in law is Jack Dearden

I have a piece of wood from the Terrace

All in all not that exciting

Been on tele a few times.

Was behind Rufus Brevett (I think) when he was taking a throw in in the FA Cup game between Leigh RMI and Fulham at Hilton Park

Was also interviewed by Sky Sports News in Bolton Town Centre while on my lunch break at work. Was asked my feelings about Big Sam getting the Newcastle job. Said wasn't surprised and good luck to him.

Guest Frandsen08

was interviewed for sky sports when sammy lee was sacked and they asked me who i wanted as the next boss i said mourinho.

was interviewed for sky sports wrapup up show last year, got asked about 6 questions.

was mascot when i was 6 against villa we drew 1-1

Whilst at college i was a 'Orange Warrior' and my boss always told me off the next match

for jumping up and down after we scored, i was on the Lever End track behind the goals, always on tele.

Met Peter Kay when i worked at the BEN because some of the reporters reckon i looked like a slimmer version of him.

Our Sir Nat was president of my old football team, Darcy Lever in the Bolton Sunday League. Met him a few times.

My Brother-In-Law is the next mayor of Bolton

Ive been to a couple of civic receptions in the town hall celebrating promotion with the Wanderers team and stood on the steps with them.

I also went to the swearing in of The Duke Of Lancasters Regiment and own the flag that was flying over us during the ceremony.

Was 1 of 4 that got put on the players coach back from Middlesboro after winning 1-0 at

Ayresome Park on a sunday afternoon (in the snow)

The coach had broken down and there was only 4 of us left with no lift.

Phil Brown bought us fish and chips, gave us all a beer and collected us all the autographs.

Scored a goal on Soccer AM when when we were fans of the week. (champions league star)

The year we played West Ham and drew 1-1 (Ricketts scored)

Got threw in the back of the police van in 1997 for breaking and entering Burnden Park, god knows what i was trying to nick, the security guard caught me doing "Klinsmann's" on the pitch and dragged me upto the Police Control room at the end of the Great Lever End. The guard wasnt too happy as I asked if he were Scott Green (he had no front teeth), so he rang the police and they drove me home

My grandad went to matches at Pikes Lane (according to family tradition).

Got Jimmy P's autograph on the match poster at Pisa airport (he scored the Wanderers' goal).

Got the 1994 team's autographs on a picture of the White's cup run team.

Twice on Soccer AM when they used to have a Sunday morning program with a couple of real fans, not showbiz guests.

Interviewed in the trophy room for the 'End of an Era' video, but ended on the cutting room floor (but my name survives over my dad's contribution).

On BBC NW News last Friday - quickie interview pre-Wigan (no-one else was around).

Erm ...... that's not much for 60 years, is it.

heres your chance to stake your bolton claim to fame!

mine are....

ive got the penatly spot from burnden park when super john scored that penalty against preston 93..(albeit its now just a piece of mouldy mud)

i officialy had my life life saved at hull....by my dad 93

im on roadrunners bolton goals complitation 1993 in the bradford end celerating mcginlays awfull goal in the middle of thousands of angry bradford fans.

i was on telly when we lost to newcastle at burnden 3-1 in 95 throwing cup of bovril on david ginola,who had just fell 3ft from the pitch to the paddock fence after a tackle from scott green.

met phil neal in tenneriefe and asked for his autograph on post card of a naked lady on the beach....3 weeks after hed been sacked!

met brian edwards and got invited into club lounge..he eventually became physio at braford after leaving bolton.

also my great uncle is the great tommy banks,his brother ralph was not a bad player either!..taught my dad all he knew!

Ralph Banks is Wayne Cramps grandad. Tommy is his great uncle.

Guest Frandsen08

my old next door neighbour claimed that back in 1966 when the world cup was on, he was down at burnden to get a glimpse of the brazil squad training, when the coach pullled up , off stepped pele and patted him on the head, not sure if he was bullshittin me but he used to love to tell that story

Edited by Frandsen08

my old next door neighbour claimed that back in 1966 when the world cup was on, he was down at burnden to get a glimpse of the brazil squad training, when the coach pullled up , off stepped pele and patted him on the head, not sure if he was bullshittin me but he used to love to tell that story

My dad and uncle went down to Burnden to watch the Brazil team train. My uncle was hit in the face by a stray shot which knocked him over and cut his head open. They were only about 9 and 11 at the time and were taken into the dressing room to be looked at by the medic. My dad said he was just staring at Pele the whole time. My uncle was given a little comemorative medal that he's still got now.

Guest Frandsen08

My dad and uncle went down to Burnden to watch the Brazil team train. My uncle was hit in the face by a stray shot which knocked him over and cut his head open. They were only about 9 and 11 at the time and were taken into the dressing room to be looked at by the medic. My dad said he was just staring at Pele the whole time. My uncle was given a little comemorative medal that he's still got now.

bloody hell, tell him keep hold of that medal

[/size]

Ralph Banks is Wayne Cramps grandad. Tommy is his great uncle.

not forgetting in the fifties,the bloody rag and bone man was your uncle.

right,my grandmas brother,as in my great uncle,was married to francis banks,who was the cousin off ralph and tommy.all lived on same streets,my dads lot lived at 10 merrion street,which ran along the bottom of thorne street where ralph,tommy and rest of family lived.all this being in moses gate,farnworth.

so mr whitewhizz your honour,my sinscere apologies for calling him my actual great unlce! :sorry: ..but like i say three families all living within two streets..theyre all your uncles and aunties!

oh and david hatton futre bolton captain lived 3 doors away in the same street and was in my dads class at st thomas' school in moses gate.

Got a few,but i've been a Wanderers fan for a good few years, anyhow here goes....

My second cousin was Boltons record signing (at the time) Terry Wharton - 70,000 from Wolves in the 70's

My great uncle referee'd in the World cup finals in'66

I was mates with Roy Hartles son at school,and regularly went to games with Roy and his lad.

I can see myself on T.V. celebrating in the Burnden Terrace, when Frank Worthy scores the wonder goal v Ipswich.

Played football against Roy Greaves,Peter Nicholson,Phil Brown etc.

Met Ian Greaves, Bruce Rioch,Sam Allardyce,Frank Worthy,Nat Lofthouse,John Mc Ginlay,Keith Branagan, Mc Ateer,Alan Thommo,Gudni Bergsson etc etc.

Went out with Peter Reids ex-girlfriend, before she'd actually got round to telling him she'd finished with him.

That's all i can remember for now.

My few..... Nowt exciting

Both kids have been mascots, one at Pompey and the other at our last game at Highbury.

My dad was at Burden in 46 when the stand collapsed. He got out unscathed and never really knew anything about how serious it was at the time (he was only 14).

My youngest daughter (after her Highbury trip) swapped letters with Henrik Pederson a few times, even after he had left us. She considered him a "pen friend".

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.