Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

World Cup

madthatter

this is the worst england squad i've seen in my lifetime

something to build on though hopefully, now the old guard and most of the deadwood have been flushed out

I bet it does better than most of the previous ones have though. Energy and pace is what we've missed for years and this squad has it.

Midfield a bit weak, but still, the right selection. 

outside of the UK. he doesnt qualify through any member of his family

Grandparents born in UK would meant eligible for any home nation (at some point), even now born in England would make him ok...

Pretty sure Southgate would have checked before dropping his name into press conferences

I like it.

There’s a few players in there that I’m not overly fussed about but not all of them will get game time... there’s a good first 11 and back up 5 or 6 in that lot.

One area I think will see us come unstuck is centre mid. I like Henderson but would much rather have seen him play next to Ox/Shelvey/Wilshire rather than what looks set to be Dier (unless Loftus Cheek gets shoved in there). Shame about the Ox’s injury, he was playing the best football I’ve ever seen him play and was forming a good partnership with Henderson.

A front 3 made up of Kane, Ali and Sterling/Rashford should be creating plenty of chances and scoring goals

fairly balanced overall

my only question mark is both Young & Delph. theyve had decent seasons but played LB. we wont need 3 LB's in a tournament. If they were picked to cover midfield along with Dier & Henderson its much of a muchness.

Lallana would be the one in place of either of those for me 

Grandparents born in UK would meant eligible for any home nation (at some point), even now born in England would make him ok...

Pretty sure Southgate would have checked before dropping his name into press conferences

yes exactly. think it was more the rumour mill more than cast iron reference to him possibly being included.

fairly balanced overall

my only question mark is both Young & Delph. theyve had decent seasons but played LB. we wont need 3 LB's in a tournament. If they were picked to cover midfield along with Dier & Henderson its much of a muchness.

Lallana would be the one in place of either of those for me 

Delph plays in midfield for me. I rate him above Dier and Henderson personally.

Lallana isn't fit is he? Also his end product isn't good enough IMHO. 

Delph plays in midfield for me. I rate him above Dier and Henderson personally.

Lallana isn't fit is he? Also his end product isn't good enough IMHO. 

he wont get a look in in the 2 DM roles. Henderson will probably captain and Dier is always in

yes Lallana played last weekend for Liverpool (well last 30 mins) end product is questionable at times but hes more creative than Delph and Young and keeps the ball. Our best player for 2 years prior to his injury 

i do think with that limit of 23 managers can easily fall in to a trap of covering all bases 2 or 3 times over all over the park. So you end up with a number of players who wont add anything particularly. Just safety nets, not game changers anyway. tournament football at times needs game changers. Lallana fits that bill better 

Edited by barrycowdrill

i've never seen loftus-cheek play, i even had to google who he plays for, so can't really comment on him

I wouldn't have Jones or Welbeck anywhere near the squad though

And Wilshere should have been going

Other than that, i'm OK with it

Edited by L/H White

Lallana too much of a risk but would be nailed on if he’d played more games.

Good to see the hyphens in the squad.

Forwards are a fairly unappealing bunch.

I’d have taken Wilshere too.

Edited by enzo gambaro

he wont get a look in in the 2 DM roles. Henderson will probably captain and Dier is always in

yes Lallana played last weekend for Liverpool (well last 30 mins) end product is questionable at times but hes more creative than Delph and Young and keeps the ball. Our best player for 2 years prior to his injury 

i do think with that limit of 23 managers can easily fall in to a trap of covering all bases 2 or 3 times over all over the park. So you end up with a number of players who wont add anything particularly. Just safety nets, not game changers anyway. tournament football at times needs game changers. Lallana fits that bill better 

See, I think Henderson, is absolute rubbish. I really do. He runs a lot. Granted. But to little effect. 

Mind, I'd rather have even Henderson in there than perma-crock Wilshere. 

Think Shelvey would have gone for me, but there we go. 

See, I think Henderson, is absolute rubbish. I really do. He runs a lot. Granted. But to little effect. 

Mind, I'd rather have even Henderson in there than perma-crock Wilshere. 

Think Shelvey would have gone for me, but there we go. 

Weird one Henderson, doesnt get any credit at all from anyone on the outside of his club and national team yet hes the probable captain of both?

think the work he does for Liverpool is valued greater because he does all the dirty work to let the attacking players do their thing. with England we havent got those luxury's and play in a more controlled way. he keeps everything ticking over but non of it seems effective  

Edited by barrycowdrill

• Moderators

only one that really surprised me was Wellbeck but still think we long strong going forward

midfield just looks non existent / weak

should be enough to get to the 1/4s but no further

Exactly. Dier to Henderson to the Left sided CB, back to Henderson, to the right sided CB, back to Dier, short pass to Henderson, in to Alli's feet, possession lost 

We're setup to use pace, so sit deep, invite teams on then hit them on the break. Frankly irrespective of who was in the squad, that is England's best chance. 

• Site Supporter

Exactly. Dier to Henderson to the Left sided CB, back to Henderson, to the right sided CB, back to Dier, short pass to Henderson, in to Alli's feet, possession lost

I have a feeling Loftus Cheek will be playing. Like the look of him and Southgate knows him and the other youngsters from junior levels.

Guess we'll see.

We're setup to use pace, so sit deep, invite teams on then hit them on the break. Frankly irrespective of who was in the squad, that is England's best chance. 

we wont get that in the first 2 group games, Tunisia and Panama will predominantly sit in. we'll need to break them down.

thats why for me Vardy hasnt replicated his club form. he needs space. He doesnt get it. As we progress then the roles will change and we will be sat in and playing on the break

I have a feeling Loftus Cheek will be playing. Like the look of him and Southgate knows him and the other youngsters from junior levels.

Guess we'll see.

could be right, think theres one midfield place up for grabs in front of henderson & Dier. it it started tomorrow i think he would go

Pickford

Walker, Stones, Maguire

Trippier, Henderson, Dier /  Loftus Cheek, Rose

Sterling, Kane, Alli 

Edited by barrycowdrill

could be right, think theres one midfield place up for grabs in front of henderson & Dier. it it started tomorrow i think he would go

Pickford

Walker, Stones, Maguire

Trippier, Henderson, Dier, Rose

Loftus Cheek?

Sterling, Kane, Alli 

He definitely wouldn't. Unless we wanted to be thrown out of the tournament!

Pickford

Walker, Stones, Maguire

Trippier, Henderson, Dier, Rose

Loftus Cheek?

Sterling, Kane, Alli 

It's not NFL pal

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.