Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

2024 Holidays

Smiley

5 minutes ago, royal white said:

Priced up New York Knicks against LA lakers for the end of the month. Cheapest seat is over $300, fuck that. They seem to play at home every 2-3 days. God knows how their fixtures are sorted 

In the baseball they play the same team 4 or 5 times in the run over the same number of days. Not sure if same in basketball. Think they invented squad rotation to make it work. 

6 minutes ago, royal white said:

Priced up New York Knicks against LA lakers for the end of the month. Cheapest seat is over $300, fuck that. They seem to play at home every 2-3 days. God knows how their fixtures are sorted 

Same mate. Booked the cheap seats for the Mets because I'm not sure if my daughter will wanna sit through a 3 hour game. $33 each. 

14 minutes ago, Ani said:

In the baseball they play the same team 4 or 5 times in the run over the same number of days. Not sure if same in basketball. Think they invented squad rotation to make it work. 

Yeah had a choice of 3 days v LAD

On 19/01/2024 at 22:41, royal white said:

Mate. Been doing a little research on boat trips and this popped up. Absolute bargain. Few different lines going North to the Bronx and south to Rockaway beach. Get off where you want. $4 a ticket. The app seems easy to use too.

Edited by wanderer1984

43 minutes ago, wanderer1984 said:

Mate. Been doing a little research on boat trips and this popped up. Absolute bargain. Few different lines going North to the Bronx and south to Rockaway beach. Get off where you want. $4 a ticket. The app seems easy to use too.

Cheers for that, I have got one of those go city passes which gives you the use of the open top buses, but I will have a look at this as well. Ta. 👍

Egypt - Red Sea (Safaga) for 7 days in Feb. All-inclusive with tons of sporty activities.

India - 12 days in March mooching about and watching grown men in white outfits throwing sticks and red balls about. Have lumped on a 1 night stopover in Doha, may lounge on a beach or see if there’s a footie stadium tour to be had.

Cala Mijas - 7 days in June (mate’s apartment, so self catering, probably hire a care to mooch)

Lapland - December (think its 4 days, wife sorted it).

Looking at Bluestone in Pembrokeshire, anyone been, shed any light on the place? Well located for Tenby and the likes. Meant to be cheaper and better than Centre Parcs, but never been so cannot make that judgement. Still looks pricey for school holidays.

• Site Supporter
On 19/01/2024 at 22:41, royal white said:

I’ll save you a fortune here and tell you that basketball is utter fucking dogshit.

23 minutes ago, Smiley said:

Egypt - Red Sea (Safaga) for 7 days in Feb. All-inclusive with tons of sporty activities.

India - 12 days in March mooching about and watching grown men in white outfits throwing sticks and red balls about. Have lumped on a 1 night stopover in Doha, may lounge on a beach or see if there’s a footie stadium tour to be had.

Cala Mijas - 7 days in June (mate’s apartment, so self catering, probably hire a care to mooch)

Looking at Bluestone in Pembrokeshire, anyone been, shed any light on the place? Well located for Tenby and the likes. Meant to be cheaper and better than Centre Parcs, but never been so cannot make that judgement. Still looks pricey for school holidays.

Loaded 

12 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Loaded 

Got nearly £1500 back from a 26 hour flight delay and taking daughter out of school to make the Egypt trip very cost-effective.

India, absolutely no idea how much this is costing.

Spain – did a deal with a mate/client, he’s not charged me for the week, I’ve not billed him for work I’ve done for his business. Winner winner.

Lapland booked over 12 months ago, which we’ve chipped away at.

2 minutes ago, Smiley said:

Got nearly £1500 back from a 26 hour flight delay and taking daughter out of school to make the Egypt trip very cost-effective.

Spain – did a deal with a mate/client, he’s not charged me for the week, I’ve not billed him for work I’ve done for his business. Winner winner.

Massive difference taking them out of school, we took lad out week before he finished (do nowt anyway on the build up to summer hols) 

15 minutes ago, Smiley said:

I could have made them even more cost-effective 😉

Just saying.

8 minutes ago, Traf said:

I could have made them even more cost-effective 😉

Just saying.

Egypt is at Magic Life with Tui. Didn’t think you could undercut them on their own flights and own hotel.

35 minutes ago, Smiley said:

From what I've heard Bluestone is pretty decent. Lots of activities and a nice indoor water park that I've been to a few times. Perfect for when it's pissing down.

Never been further then the water park which is close to the entrance so not sure about other facilities (restaurants/bars) on site. Think all the accommodation are cottages.

You'll need to drive when visiting other locations, its quite a secluded area. Bluestone is a couple of mins from Oakwood theme park. Hangar 5 (trampoline park) is about 15 mins away (Haverfordwest). Heatherton Activities (St Florence) has a very good range of things to do. Go-karts, mini golf, archery, treetops etc. Folly Farm Zoo is a fantastic day out (Narberth). So a great location if going with kids.

Loads of castles within a 20 min drive. Carew, Manorbier, Pembroke etc.

Tenby, Saundersfoot and St David's are perfect for a mooch.

• Moderators

Going to Brisbane in April for 3 weeks to see family 

Will get a camper and do our own thing for a week 

Taking #1 daughter out of school for a week after the 2 week Easter break

28 minutes ago, wanderer1984 said:

From what I've heard Bluestone is pretty decent. Lots of activities and a nice indoor water park that I've been to a few times. Perfect for when it's pissing down.

Never been further then the water park which is close to the entrance so not sure about other facilities (restaurants/bars) on site. Think all the accommodation are cottages.

You'll need to drive when visiting other locations, its quite a secluded area. Bluestone is a couple of mins from Oakwood theme park. Hangar 5 (trampoline park) is about 15 mins away (Haverfordwest). Heatherton Activities (St Florence) has a very good range of things to do. Go-karts, mini golf, archery, treetops etc. Folly Farm Zoo is a fantastic day out (Narberth). So a great location if going with kids.

Loads of castles within a 20 min drive. Carew, Manorbier, Pembroke etc.

Tenby, Saundersfoot and St David's are perfect for a mooch.

Cheers. Does look a great place with tons to do both on and off site.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, radcliffe white said:

Massive difference taking them out of school, we took lad out week before he finished (do nowt anyway on the build up to summer hols) 

I’m fairly sure some political party or other identified this as part of an election manifesto a while ago. 

I was speaking to the Cretan friends who own the complex where we stay. They’re now exclusive to Jet2 and get a fixed room-rate for the season. They (and presumably other apartment/hotel owners throughout the world, don’t cash in on the school holiday premiums, that’d just be the greedy package holiday companies.

1 hour ago, Smiley said:

Cheers. Does look a great place with tons to do both on and off site.

No problem pal. Forget to say ... no idea how much it costs to stay there. So don't know about value for money. Think it'll be very expensive at peak times

On 21/11/2023 at 23:11, wanderer1984 said:

For those that have been to NYC. I'm going in May and need to start planning things to do.

Hotel is on 6th Ave, near Central Park so close to where its most busy. 

Wanna see a sporting event. Knicks, Mets or Rangers. Would prefer NHL but think the season ends just before I go. Looks pricey though.

Daughter wants to see the Friends experience and maybe a show, Aladin has been mentioned.

Any sights that are under the radar worth seeing / visiting?

Not sure how long you're going for, but below should keep you going for a couple of days (we walked a lot but you can always get a subway for a bit if you want, but it's a fantastic city to walk around in).
I lived there for a few years in the early 90s but never really went to many of the tourist spots, went back last year with wife and kids and really enjoyed it. 

Day 1.
Walk down 6th Ave to Rockefeller centre, you will go past Radio City Music Hall.
Go to Top of the Rock Observation deck, earlier the better as it gets busy.

Walk to Bryant Park, sit and get a bite to eat from "Waffles and Dinges".
New York Public Library is right beside it if you want to take a look.

Keep walking and at 34th Street you will pass near Empire State Building.
Veer left onto Broadway and continue to Madison Square Park, this is right beside the Flatiron building.

Take 5th Ave down to Washington Square Park for a look around - always something going on there.
McSorleys is nearby if you want to visit for a pint, they only serve their own ale, and it's cash only.

After that head west over to Bleecker Street for some proper NY pizza, Johns's of Bleecker St is one of the most famous but there are others too.
You can walk past the Blue Note Jazz club on the way. 

Nearby is the Friends Apartment building if your daughter wants a look.

Walk from Friends Bulding west to Washington Street, then north for a few blocks and that brings you to the High Line.
You can walk along the High Line north to Hudson Yards.

Day 2
Subway down to Brookly Bridge, walk across the bridge - do it in morning before it gets too crowded.
Time Out Market for breakfast.
Walk over to Dumbo for famous Manhattan Bridge view/photos.
Parks near the water have great views back to Manhattan too.

Get East River Ferry back across to Pier 11 and it's a short walk to Wall Street.
Walk over to Battery Park for a look around and you can get the ferry from there to Ellis Island.
I wouldn't bother getting off for Statue of Liberty, you will go right past it anyway.
When you come back the World Trade Centre and 911 Memorial are only 10 mins walk.

Baseball game in the evening well worth a go - either the Mets or Yankees stadiums are easy to get to.

46 minutes ago, kagni said:

Not sure how long you're going for, but below should keep you going for a couple of days (we walked a lot but you can always get a subway for a bit if you want, but it's a fantastic city to walk around in).
I lived there for a few years in the early 90s but never really went to many of the tourist spots, went back last year with wife and kids and really enjoyed it. 

Day 1.
Walk down 6th Ave to Rockefeller centre, you will go past Radio City Music Hall.

Veer left onto Broadway and continue to Madison Square Park, this is right beside the Flatiron building.

Take 5th Ave down to Washington Square Park for a look around - always something going on there.
McSorleys is nearby if you want to visit for a pint, they only serve their own ale, and it's cash only.

After that head west over to Bleecker Street for some proper NY pizza, Johns's of Bleecker St is one of the most famous but there are others too.

Walk from Friends Bulding west to Washington Street, then north for a few blocks and that brings you to the High Line.

Day 2
Subway down to Brookly Bridge, walk across the bridge - do it in morning before it gets too crowded.

Get East River Ferry back across to Pier 11 and it's a short walk to Wall Street.
Walk over to Battery Park for a look around and you can get the ferry from there to Ellis Island.
I wouldn't bother getting off for Statue of Liberty, you will go right past it anyway.
When you come back the World Trade Centre and 911 Memorial are only 10 mins walk.

Baseball game in the evening well worth a go - either the Mets or Yankees stadiums are easy to get to.

Good ideas, but baseball is, in my view, a waste of an evening in NYC. However, if you do go, don’t forget ID, you won’t get a drink without it. 

A walk around Harlem is rewarding, pop into The Apollo and there is a great evening jazz tour. That said, there’s plenty of jazz around and we always take in a show; Tickets available at the discount place in Times Square.

2 hours ago, kagni said:

Day 1.

Day 2

Cheers for that mate. Going for the week and pretty much most of what you recommend has been placed on Google maps. 😂

SmartSelect_20240125_203618_Maps.thumb.jpg.45f8583172c80524282f82d4ac5c496c.jpg

Chosen to go up the Edge Observation Deck but not booked it yet. Got tickets for a Mets game v LAD and also tickets for Back to the Future at winter garden theatre.

Seen that Pier 11 the other day. Thinking of getting the ferry to Rockaway beach and maybe the North route past Roosevelt island. Only $4.

As you can see from the map. My daughter been doing alot of research and has pinned loads of food places. Most are takeaway or food carts. Wants to try a Bodega.

Thinking of getting the ferry over to Dumbo the walking back over Brooklyn Bridge. We'll do the financial district, Stone Street and 9/11 memorial. Seen the Time Out Market and downloaded the app.

Is the Friends experience different from what you mentioned? Think the experience ends at the end of April.

Also the seen that the Library has some sort of outside viewing area wich will be worth a look. Definitely look into going to some of the parks you mentioned. 

Lots have been mentioned by others on here the last few months, High Line, McSorleys, Flatiron building etc. All on my map 🙂

Thanks again pal.

*The Library with the outside viewing area is the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Library.

Edited by wanderer1984

41 minutes ago, wanderer1984 said:

Is the Friends experience different from what you mentioned? Think the experience ends at the end of April.

No idea what the Friends experience is, just if you are in that part of Manhattan you can walk past the Apartment Building from Friends.