Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Gazza

auckland_bwfc

He's not dead.....

Will we ever see another like him for England? Or does the production line churning out a steady line athletic sameazoids prevent that?

Does playing for england mean as much for this crop as it did the likes of Stuart Pearce, Terry butcher....even Shearer ..? 

Is it just me getting older and meaning less? I can't get up for an England game unless it's a tournament or a game like the Beckham free kick v Greece qualifier. 

Still thrown a tenner on a bet builder for this to help me get through it. 😁

I think he's somewhat overrated by people who were around when he was playing but perhaps underrated by people who didn't see him play

As for England contributions, Saka at 21 has scored more goals for the national team than Gazza did

Edited by jmjhb

18 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Different types of player but Bellingham will go down as a great if he remains relatively injury free. The kid has everything

Bellingham at 19 or 20 or whatever he is at Real Madrid and mirroring Ronaldos start there is mental. I hope he wins us the world Cup. 

I'll gladly eat humble pie when I quietly laughed when Birmingham retired his shirt number 

Just now, stevieb said:

Bellingham at 19 or 20 or whatever he is at Real Madrid and mirroring Ronaldos start there is mental. I hope he wins us the world Cup. 

I'll gladly eat humble pie when I quietly laughed when Birmingham retired his shirt number 

I'd forgotten that 😁

It'd still be a ridiculous decision if he wins us multiple tournaments for me

4 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Le Tissier was a better around footballer than Gazza in my opinion. Both great players like!

All round? You may have to explain that as Le tissier was a cracking player but one dimensional would be a fair accusation. 

Apologies if I’ve read wrong.

4 minutes ago, tomski said:

All round? You may have to explain that as Le tissier was a cracking player but one dimensional would be a fair accusation. 

All rounder because he's a top vaccinologist like me. 

• Site Supporter

Gazza was a fantastic player but Bellingham can do what he did & then some.... Ghosts past players like they aren't there, can defend, is strong, athletic, has an excellent temperament & can score goals. If he can stay relatively injury free he's going to be one of our all times greats imo. 

17 minutes ago, tomski said:

I must can't remember that many moments of brilliance from Gazza. It was more about his personality and his presence on the pitch. Le Tissier just scored worldie after worldie throughout pretty much his entire career. I'm not sure I've ever seen a more naturally gifted English footballer. 

Lazy twat like but what a player! 😁