Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pompey (H)

Ani

It takes you back to Bruce Rioch who needed just the one season to get Bolton out of the 3rd Division.Match number 45 of the season.Top of the league Stoke cIty were gven and sold 6,000 tickets in a 19,000 crowd and Bolton only had one fit striker.Despite the huge away following and only having one striker. Bolton won.

• Moderators
53 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

It takes you back to Bruce Rioch who needed just the one season to get Bolton out of the 3rd Division.Match number 45 of the season.Top of the league Stoke cIty were gven and sold 6,000 tickets in a 19,000 crowd and Bolton only had one fit striker.Despite the huge away following and only having one striker. Bolton won.

To be fair most of them wanted us to win and cheered our goal as it meant we over took port vale that night and they'd already won the title anyway

1 hour ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

Are you sure? Where did we put 6000 Stoke fans? I’d of been at the game but have no recollection of an away following of 6k back then. 

30 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Are you sure? Where did we put 6000 Stoke fans? I’d of been at the game but have no recollection of an away following of 6k back then. 

That would be correct, they had half of the Embankment, Julian Darby scored the winner.

8 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Did that section hold 6k? I’m surprised if it did. 

Yes, easily at that time. In its hey day, before the Normid and the narrowing of the terracing at the back, it held over 20,000. Im sure when Newcastle came in the FA Cup in the seventies, they brought 17,000, and Bolton fans were also present in the Embankment then, obviously that was before the decrease in capacity.

PS just googled it, the capacity was 28,000 when at its biggest.

Edited by woolli
more info

11 minutes ago, SatanGreavsie said:

Posted this from a 1978 programme a while back

gallery_7_32_58452.jpg

I’m still not having it was 6k in the 90s, the corner section of the embankment was further pushed back and made smaller when the superstore was built.  The whole ground held 20k at the end. That’s 14k for both stands and lever end, those stands didn’t change much from 1978 and add up to over 26k on that list. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I’m still not having it was 6k in the 90s, the corner section of the embankment was further pushed back and made smaller when the superstore was built.  The whole ground held 20k at the end. That’s 14k for both stands and lever end, those stands didn’t change much from 1978 and add up to over 26k on that list. 

They had the embankment and a bit down the side on the burnden terrace below the away seats 

Liverpool had same in the cup 

5k maybe? Would say 5 max

Not sure who had the bit down the side on the last day v PNE 

20 minutes ago, Zico said:

They had the embankment and a bit down the side on the burnden terrace below the away seats 

Liverpool had same in the cup 

5k maybe? Would say 5 max

Not sure who had the bit down the side on the last day v PNE 

Couldn’t remember if they had section on paddock. Back of my mind says 4.5k. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Couldn’t remember if they had section on paddock. Back of my mind says 4.5k. 

More likely then 6k 

No way it was 6k

• Moderators

good shot of the away end here - the embankment, that section of the BT and the seats above it

Liverpool and Stoke definitely had that section down the side

2024-03-22_10-02-33.jpg

8 minutes ago, Zico said:

good shot of the away end here - the embankment, that section of the BT and the seats above it

Liverpool and Stoke definitely had that section down the side

2024-03-22_10-02-33.jpg

Everybody did until we got in prem.

5 hours ago, SatanGreavsie said:

Posted this from a 1978 programme a while back

gallery_7_32_58452.jpg

42k in 1978?!…….year before of course we squeezed 50k in for the Everton LC semifinal.  Christ knows where the other 8k went!

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Bertie said:

Of course 🙄.  Even so, over 12k in the Lever End - wow - hard to imagine.

It is.

Never had the pleasure of standing there- seats went in before I started going.

Amazing to think that the embankment and the Lever end as a terrace held pretty much as many back in the day as the Toughsheet does now.

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

A bit surprised that the burnden terrace was double the capacity of the Manchester road terrace. Bigger obviously, but didn't think it was that much bigger.

Exactly the same length (give or take a bit) less the tunnel but Burnden Terrace was at least three times bigger front to back than the Manchester Road.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, MickyD said:

Exactly the same length (give or take a bit) less the tunnel but Burnden Terrace was at least three times bigger front to back than the Manchester Road.

Then why didn't it hold three times as many?

It never looked anywhere near that much bigger, dunno how you get that.

• Site Supporter
Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Then why didn't it hold three times as many?

It never looked anywhere near that much bigger, dunno how you get that.

There were about three tunnels pretty much bottom to top each about 10’ wide so knock 30’ off the length but the rest is from my mind’s eye.

10 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

It was 6k. Liverpool were given 6k that season for the FA cup tie but didn't sell them all.They brought 5.3k.