Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Dave Higson

Garrp

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just read this thread with a lump in my throat & a big smile on my face, this guy was a true BOLTON legend & should be remembered in some way by the club.

I've also e-mailed soccer am to see if the can play some of his roadrunner vid's as a mark of respect.

RIP Dave.

toodle pip

This is very sad news indeed. My fondest memories of Dave was when we used to go such exotic locations such as Exeter,Aldershot and the like with a half empty coach. I remember the rub offs and also the daft songs we used to sing about him.

"we want David as our leader

cos hes big and bloody daft

hes got a big fat wobbly arse

and his body is a farce

but we still want David all the same"

We were only teenagers then but we all had so much respect for the guy and he used to like all the banter from the back of the coach.

Even in those days his enthusiasm and optimism were second to none as we wre pretty terrible in those days.

Also the only reason for ever purchasing a Wanderers video was because of daves brilliant commentary and it was because of this he earned CULT status and ended up making a few appearances on Fantasy Football.

The last time I spoke to him was at Norwich this season and he was so proud that we were doing so well .He always recognized all us fans from the old days even though we were now a lot older and had time for everyone.

He was a great guy and will be sorely missed by everyone that ever came across him and I hope Bolton do the decent thing in.

1/ Having a minutes silence before the Arsenal

2/Putting the news on the front of the web site before Coldplay/Elton John and any other corporate money making scheme for Bolton.

But I will be surprised if they do.

Finally I hope all the fans who can do pay their respects at his funeral as I think he would love to know how we all felt about him.

RIP Dave,

I fear it will be left to the fans to remember Dave. I am sure "one Dave Higson" could be song loud and proud just before Kick-off at City?

I fear it will be left to the fans to remember Dave. I am sure "one Dave Higson" could be song loud and proud just before Kick-off at City?

What a great tribute that would be, especially with it being a live game on TV - I'm sure he would love that.

Anybody thought about getting a collection for some flowers/donation for him from WW? - I would contribute, and I sure many others would, I'm just crap at administaring that kind of thing

We have to have a minutes silence.

If there were minutes silences for Ken Bigley sure we can have for one of the most genuine loyal Boltonians there will ever be.

We just need to pester Gartside and the like into doing it.

If there is nothing done it will confirm that Bolton have forgotten were they were a few years ago as without people like Dave there would probably be no club today.

If there were minutes silences for Ken Bigley sure we can have for one of the most genuine loyal Boltonians there will ever be.

This will never happen and I can see your point, but Ken Bigley was a National tribute.

The club have acknowledge his passing with their own tribute to DH on the Official website, they didn't have to do that, and I'd like to thank them on behalf of all those that know Dave for the mention.

RIP

RIP Dave.

Lots of stirring memories on this thread, his comments have become legend amongst all of my mates, most of whom are not whites.

He even commentated when we played at Burnden in one of them do's the club had before the move to Reebok; anyway, the game must've been a cracker as the commentary picked him up sat in the decaying Manny Road wodden stand saying "eee look at that juicy maggot, that'll be cracking bait for tomorro'"

Personal faves (probably not quite right as memory slips...) include the infamous "it's the police they're behaving like animals, like pigs so as to speak"

"Mr J, R Racey with the red and yellow flag, he got it wrong on this occasion"

And his singing attempt whilst so excited at Goodison, where he couldn't quite get it right:

"Owen Coyle, Owen Coyle, he gets a goal, Owen Owen Coyle"

This will never happen and I can see your point, but Ken Bigley was a National tribute.

The club have acknowledge his passing with their own tribute to DH on the Official website, they didn't have to do that, and I'd like to thank them on behalf of all those that know Dave for the mention.

RIP

I think the club has a duty to have a minutes silence, dave higson was a great ambassador for bolton wanderers and for the town of bolton, it is the least they can do, also a representative of the club should pay there respects at his funeral.

RIP

I think the club has a duty to have a minutes silence, dave higson was a great ambassador for bolton wanderers and for the town of bolton, it is the least they can do, also a representative of the club should pay there respects at his funeral.

to be fair to the club i think they were vary good for fernys funeral (i was not a close friend of his but sure this was mentioned at the time).

i am sure they will do the same for ding dang do.

it is the clubs desicion if they hold a minutes silence and i would be surprised if they did n't, but lets see.

I'm sure there will be a minutes silence for Dave before the next home game. Dave was well known by both the players and back room staff at the club.

BEN article about Dave

http://www.thisisbolton.co.uk/lancashire/b...ENTOPNEWS0.html

Death of Whites legend 'Ding-Dong-Do' Dave

Last posted: Wednesday 2 March 2005 13:09

ONE of Wanderers' most famous supporters has died.

Dave Higson, whose legendary catchphrase was "Ding-Dong-Do", collapsed in his driveway in Morris Green on Tuesday morning from a suspected heart attack.

His wife Barbara tried to resuscitate him, followed by paramedics, but he was pronounced dead soon after arriving at the Royal Bolton Hospital.

Mr Higson, aged 58, provided the commentary on Bolton Wanderers videos for more than 10 years when the club was based at Burnden Park.

He also appeared on TV as a Wanderers super fan.

Today Mrs Higson was trying to come to terms with her husband's death, along with the couple's two daughters, Fiona and Melissa.

The couple had been married for almost 34 years.

Mrs Higson said: "We are all absolutely devastated. He only visited the doctors last Tuesday and was told he was fine."

Dave Higson worked at British Aerospace in Lostock before being made redundant in February, 1993.

He had suffered a stroke in 1992 and was visited in hospital by many Wanderers players, as well as Bolton legend Nat Lofthouse.

Mrs Higson said: "After that stroke, he was absolutely determined to get back to the Wanderers, and back to work.

"I remember when he went to his first game back. He was walking with a stick and I thought he looked awful and shouldn't have gone back so soon.

"He knew I wasn't happy with him for that, but he loved the Wanderers so much."

Apart from when he was ill, he only ever missed three matches in his life - one for his own wedding in 1971, once for his daughter Fiona's wedding and another for another family wedding, in which he sneaked in a radio to listen to the game.

As well as his beloved football, he was a keen fisherman and was a member of Over Hulton Angling Club.

He was also group Scout leader for the 4th Bolton Scouts and had been involved in the Scout movement for many years. But he will mostly be remembered by the thousands of Wanderers fans who bought videos on which Mr Higson commentated in the 1980s and 1990s.

David Baddiel and Frank Skinner made him a national hero, introducing his commentating skills to the millions that tuned into their BBC2 show Fantasy Football every week.

In his last year, he was also signed up by Sky TV and given the chance to get behind the microphone at the Reebok once again for Sky's Fanzone slot.

Mrs Higson said: "That was the first time he had commentated at the Reebok and he absolutely loved it.

"It really did make his day and he was so chuffed. He loved all the fans chanting his name. He lived for the Wanderers."

A Bolton Wanderers spokesman said: "This has come as a complete shock to everyone at the club and our deep condolences go out to his family.

"Dave was a larger-than-life character and was his usual self at Sunday's game at Newcastle, when he was doing his regular coach steward job.

"Most fans will remember Dave for his legendary catchphrase and he will always be remembered as one of the club's most ardent supporters. He will be sadly missed."

Kath Brown, Bolton Wanderers Supporters' Association membership secretary, has asked club officials to hold a minute's silence as a tribute to Mr Higson.

"He wasn't just a supporter, he was an institution," she said. "He was well known throughout the country through his Roadrunner videos, his support of the club and his media work on Wanderers' behalf.

"He was a true supporter throughout the decades.

"It would be fitting if the club could consider asking the FA if they could hold a minute's silence at the next home game to allow his fans the chance to pay their respects to a man who was a Bolton Wanderers champion as well as a friend."

• Moderators

Didn't he do the award on the last ever Fantasy Football?

If he had still been commentating, that Notts Carney bloke on SoccerAM wouldn't have got a look in.

Shame on the club for getting rid of him to produce "professional" videos of games, 10 years later they still haven't got it right, their highlight videos have always been a shadow of Roadrunner's.

Didn't he do the award on the last ever Fantasy Football?

If he had still been commentating, that Notts Carney bloke on SoccerAM wouldn't have got a look in.

Shame on the club for getting rid of him to produce "professional" videos of games, 10 years later they still haven't got it right, their highlight videos have always been a shadow of Roadrunner's.

they could have produced 2 videos, one with proffesional commentary one with ding dong dave, i know which one would have sold better, it was an opportunity missed, sadly now missed forever, still feel gutted as i am sure everyone true bolton fan is, ding dong Dave Higson was part of all our lives although he probably did not know it.

R.I.P.Dave and thanks for the memories

I would like to ask who buys the videos nowadays? Even though we have a lot more success and there have been some great times over the last few years the videos seem a bit empty somehow.

Give me Roadrunner and Dave Higson anyday. My son who is 10 loves watching them even though he was not born at the time and the quality of football wasn't great either.

The highlights videos they used to do have never been equalled.

eg when we gained promotion the "official" club video only had highlights of the home games even though we won 15 away that season.

Yet another piece of great marketing by BWFC.

When you were watching the old videos you were listening to a proper fan who was feeling exactly what you were at the time and like a few people have already said it was one of Boltons biggest mistakes getting rid of him.

Oghani still George Oghani still George Oghani

YEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Sherpa Van Northern Final 1986

and his body is a farce

I was digging deep for that song this morning.... and just could not remember it. Great days on the Travel Club! (it was cool and a cult thing to travel on the club coaches in them days... honest!).

• Members
chris santley wrote:

and his body is a farce

we must have traveled on the same coaches fella :D

RIP HIGGY...............BWFC FINEST AMBASSADOR

Guest Shunky_Mun_Kano

Probably the ultimate accolade a true Bolton fan could have, is a minutes silence held in respect of their death at the Reebok Stadium.

I think it's safe to say, having read this thread, that Dave Higson is above true!

So am I right in thinking that the paying supporter need's the club to decide if and when they can have one ?

Since when !?

All we have to do is to ask RV, to announce before the next home game that during half time, there will be a minutes silence held in respect of the late Dave Higson.

And who could object to that ?

Actually, thinking about it, if this idea was put forward to the club, I can't see how they could face the embarrassment of not holding an official one anyway ?

POWER TO THE PEOPLE

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.