Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Football Books; Any Recommendations?

Guest not_even_irish

The Damned United by Dave Peace.

Novel based on Cloughies short time at Leeds

Very very good.

• Members

Bovver - Chris Brown. ISBN 1-903402-85-9

Recollections of the crazy years from a Tote Ender. Little bit overblown with the Tote Ends importance but a cracking account of the early 70's terrace battles and underground music scene. Highly recommended.

nah... still say get Phil Stants... good accounts of shop lifting from sports shops in astley bridge, watching the wanderers as a kid, the falklands assault , bomb disposal, the s.a.s. scoring goals in the lower leagues and the odd fierce tackle along the way...

what more could you want written on pulp ?

:good:

Edited by Plums

Not a football book, but a sports one:

Moneyball, by Michael Lewis. Docu-book on how the Oakland Athletics constantly manage to keep up with the big boys, despite only having a fraction of the spending power. Once you get over the baseball aspects, makes a wonderful read, and its onteresting to compare the methods employed by Billy Beane to those of Allardyce (getting hold of short term signings, players that other teams dont want etc.)

One of the best factual books I've read in many years.

I've just finished reading Alan Brazils autobiography, it is absolutely crap, don't get that one.

I stopped reading it just over half way through, a w?nker of the highest calibre....just champagne charlie whose been free loading it all his life, loves rimming the rich and famous but pretends he comes from a hard Glaswegian up bringing when in reality he was spoon fed by mummy and daddy in the suburbs of that city.

There is a couple by Mark Hodkinson a Rochdale fan called Life Sentence and Believe in the Signs are are very well written and a reflection of life in a north west town as well as being a fan of a no hope team.

I stopped reading it just over half way through, a w?nker of the highest calibre....just champagne charlie whose been free loading it all his life, loves rimming the rich and famous but pretends he comes from a hard Glaswegian up bringing when in reality he was spoon fed by mummy and daddy in the suburbs of that city.

There is a couple by Mark Hodkinson a Rochdale fan called Life Sentence and Believe in the Signs are are very well written and a reflection of life in a north west town as well as being a fan of a no hope team.

The only reason I completed it is because I was bored. From start to finish I did the whole thing in 4 hours, what a load of old pap. It is now in the local charity shop

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.