Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Does Anyone Remember?

trotter58

The 'Bidding War' thread has made me realise just how many of us sad old gits are still hopelessly pining for the 'good old days', so f**k it, let's have an official thread where we can share our memories before the alzheimers sets in!

Hugh Curran's sideburns. Discuss.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 'Bidding War' thread has made me realise just how many of us sad old gits are still hopelessly pining for the 'good old days', so f**k it, let's have an official thread where we can share our memories before the alzheimers sets in!

Hugh Curran's sideburns. Discuss.

Hugh Hugh Curran Hugh Hugh Curran Hugh Hugh Curran :D

losing home games to carlisle and york, i think in consecutive seasons

poss 75 and 76

games when i realised the best team in the league was gonna blow it again

Nottingham Forest being promoted at our expense in 1976/77 while they were away on holiday! The very next season they won the old First Division title and the season after that, the European Cup. Brian Clough = football genius.

Lit fag ends being dropped into the hoods of parkas - Lever End,early 70's

Wolves fans invading the pitch when they won the title 1976.

The so called "win or riot" game v Sheff U in the 80's (Sheff U lost)

Gary Jones hat trick against Citeh in the early 70's

The "Cauldron of passion" game v Wolves in the play off semi in 1995, the greatest atmosphere i ever witnessed at Burnden.

Tony Kelly scoring a wonder free kick v Arsenal....... and the ref instead decided to send off Keown & make him re-take it.

Oldham fans looking petrified when they beat us in the cup.

David Lee scoring that screamer v Norwich in the League Cup.......he only ever played well went't cameras were at Burnden.

That pie shop facing BP...... can't argue with 4 for ?1.

Rice & Easy

When sitting at a match was your dad shoving you on the railing at the front for Burnden Paddock.

How kids of today are missing out on such a unique experience.

And when those railings were cold - damn!!!

I scaled those fences on more than one occaision. Once when we beat Wigan in the semi-final of the FRT. One wrong move and you would have been impaled through the 'nads!

I scaled those fences on more than one occaision. Once when we beat Wigan in the semi-final of the FRT. One wrong move and you would have been impaled through the 'nads!

aye i think they got cut down to a normal (ish) size in the early 90's didnt they

the pitch invasion after we beat North End in '92 was a superb day

still got a matchwinner corner flag from that afternoon

When sitting at a match was your dad shoving you on the railing at the front for Burnden Paddock.

How kids of today are missing out on such a unique experience.

And when those railings were cold - damn!!!

and if a ball came flying over towards you, it wasn't a good idea to let go!

them loos at burnden... made the toilets at the macedonia checkpoint look like a throne!

Going to the Baseball ground in the late 1970's and beating Derby, who had been League Champions a couple of seasons earlier, 2-1 in the League Cup (when the League Cup was a big competition!) We got to the semi-final that year and lost to Everton over two legs. Drew the first leg 1-1 and lost the return at Burnden 0-1. Didn't we take something like 15,000 to Goodison for the first leg?!

Going to the Baseball ground in the late 1970's and beating Derby, who had been League Champions a couple of seasons earlier, 2-1 in the League Cup (when the League Cup was a big competition!) We got to the semi-final that year and lost to Everton over two legs. Drew the first leg 1-1 and lost the return at Burnden 0-1. Didn't we take something like 15,000 to Goodison for the first leg?!

The clocks that use to be on top of the Burnden paddock and Manchester road ends.

The axe that use to fly around the Great Lever end in the early seventies (:::::lol:::::).

George Wood, and the Everton game called off at half time in the snow after he did Reid's leg.

Did I dream it or did they used to have collections at half time for StJohns Ambulance - lobbing coins over the fence?

I went to a reserve match a while after and relentlessy booed Wood for what he did to Reidy. He later talked in an interview about a loud mouthed yob who did just that at a reserve match at Bolton. Result! He deserved it, dirty get.

the trolleys going round the pitch during the game selling bovril,

the brass bands on the pitch at christmas with the band leader throwing his stick in the air and keep dropping it,and recieving abuse of the EMBANKMENT and burnden paddock,

newcastle fans ripping the henry's resteraunt sign down after he scored against them (keegans 1st away match) and the battling going on in the manny road

battling at york city when we were getting relegated to division 4.

oh happy days

notts county away 6 nil half time. sheff utd new years eve 5 niller.

that big guy black crouch type playing for stockport and scoring.

bradford away with the albion coach.

chesterfield away last game of season.

pie heads away boxing day on the free buses.

churchill's 'beer garden' and the waggon and horses

super john cuffing that wolves lad and lofty being attacked

tony caldwells debut and his alcoholic army :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.