Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Moshing

whats all this about then?

went to manchester academy last night to watch the fratellis, and being a bit frigid on the gig scene could not understand why dozens of sweaty kids with wonky hair do this moshing thing.

Now I imagine it was quite tame to other occassions but still, my tolerance to it only increased in direct proportion to the amount of stella I threw down my neck.

It is dangerous and one day someone will hurt themselves. The scruffy c?nts.

• Moderators

went to manchester academy last night to watch the fratellis, and being a bit frigid on the gig scene could not understand why dozens of sweaty kids with wonky hair do this moshing thing.

Now I imagine it was quite tame to other occassions but still, my tolerance to it only increased in direct proportion to the amount of stella I threw down my neck.

Moshpits are great, especially when some speccy pussy is stood near the front and has no idea of what is about to happen. People have died in them, I've been in some dangerous ones, compared to standing at football it's mental that it's allowed.

Were you not lobbing pints of piss at them?

No.

However, I was most annoyed that my newly purcashed Massimo Osti jacket got sprayed with (what I hope) was ale. Its one thing throwing liquids about when your wear army surplus rags, but not when there is decent cloth about.

Scruffy c?nts.

No

Its the one with the fold down ironing board.

Anyway.has anyone ever seen The Chapman Family?

They opened up last night and were absolutley f?cking dogshit. Noisy shit who should have had piss thrown at them.

Edited by Smiffs

I fancy watching the Pigeon Detectives there in a couple of months. If I go then I shall wear overalls, wellies, and a big hat.

Oh, did I tell you there were loads of students there too? Understandable considering the venue, however, they are a set of wonky haired f?ckers as well.

I think I need to stay at home with my National Geographic magazines.

went watching greenday several years ago and stood near the front,after a few songs a big circle opened up woth all these kids pushing people across it,i thought i'de try i nearlly killed a few of them, hence the circle quickly closed and didn't appear again :roll:

went watching greenday several years ago and stood near the front,after a few songs a big circle opened up woth all these kids pushing people across it,i thought i'de try i nearlly killed a few of them, hence the circle quickly closed and didn't appear again :roll:

Don't tell me, you farted. :blink:

Saw Pixies at Brixton Academy around 1990.

There is a slope towards the stage and two thirds of the place was a continual "pit".

Bit like being on a decent terrace after an important goal but carrying on for an hour.

Edited by green genie

I fancy watching the Pigeon Detectives there in a couple of months. If I go then I shall wear overalls, wellies, and a big hat.

Oh, did I tell you there were loads of students there too? Understandable considering the venue, however, they are a set of wonky haired f?ckers as well.

I think I need to stay at home with my National Geographic magazines.

Most students will be skint by Dec therefore you will find there will be less students there, I'll hopefully be at the Pidgeon Detectives in December too! Thinking on, wasn't it a cheap gig (?12) to watch the Fratellis? That'll explain large amounts of students!

Yes it was ?12, which is a bit of loose change to many, but 18 cans of beans, 6 tins of corned dog, 2 tins of spam, 4 loaves, a tub of marg, 1/2 oz of burn and a packet of rizlas to those bedwetting commie scruffs.

aah, the "moshpit"

Quite certain Scott Ian from Anthrax coined the phrase - but I stand to be corrected.

Been in the centre of quite a few.

Nearly had my nose broke at the Sex Pistols last year - where I was informed the mosh pit was nearly the size of a football field - it was THAT big!

It was rather tame at SLF last night - and with my current ankle injury, I decided to stand on the fringe of it and appreciate the music!

One of the best I ever got into was at Wembley this summer for Foo Fighters - it was MENTAL from the start of the opening bars of The Pretender right the way until the acoustic set. Beer flying, fists flying, heads banging - pure chaotic! You're typical Radio 1 JCL's stood by and watched in total amazement and then fcked off somewhere much safer.

Got Subways at Academy this Sunday - now they do have a very large Yoof following - so expecting that to mental - when Billy Lunn decides to climb his stacks and jump into the crowd - you know its going to be a good 'un.

Moshed up and down the land and loved it. Best mosh was chicken jumping to the Offspring at the Academy in 94 and the Wildhearts/Almighty tour was a bit mental as well. Worse was getting my contact lens knocked out watching Supergrass at Galstonbury in 95 and spending the rest of the weekend with an eye patch on. Although Metal moshpits can be dangerous were always safer than indie ones I thought. In a metal one if a girl was getting in trouble or a youngster was getting crushed people gave them room and helped them out by pushing them over the barriers or clearing a space. Indie ones are often filled with more youngsters/kids at their first gigs who don't give a poo. Always go in elbows up!

To my shame a nearly passed out in the Verve at the Academy but I put that down to the weed. And now attending gigs with the mrs means standing at the back pint in hand.

Not forgetting the stage diving at gigs like Mudhoney, Napalm Death, Senseless Things, Neds Atomic Dustbin, etc.

Now that is an art that has been lost forever due to silly health & safety legislations!

And you don't seem to see all out fighting at gigs anymore.

Only saw King Kurt once - but that was full of slamdancers and they really did go in elbows and knees first! Very brutal.

Not forgetting the stage diving at gigs like Mudhoney, Napalm Death, Senseless Things, Neds Atomic Dustbin, etc.

Now that is an art that has been lost forever due to silly health & safety legislations!

And you don't seem to see all out fighting at gigs anymore.

Only saw King Kurt once - but that was full of slamdancers and they really did go in elbows and knees first! Very brutal.

Ouch, bit too violent for me! I always though moshing was the audiences chance to make the gig special - like singing at football. Smiff, if you didn't want to take part - just stand to the sides and let the kids do all the hard work for you!

Senseless Things - there is a blast from the past. I copied all their albums from Bolton Libraries Audio Visual Dept! Did the same with the Manics.

I've had a few incidents in mosh pits over the years.

Nose broke, when I was watching Rancid at Leeds Festival.

Smack, in the gob off some tart at Manchester Academy in my younger years.

Kicked in the face, off a crwod surfer watching Arctic Monkeys at LCC. Which brought blood to my nose.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.