Rip - Ian Greaves

Totty

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Special One

RIP Mr Greaves

You taught me many a swear word on the manny road terrace as a kid near the dug out :pardon:

I can remember like it was yesterday, not like the shite we have at the reebok

started watching the whites season before greavies became manager great times use go all over the country on hargreaves coaches 14yr old in 78 expecting us to win only rioch and toddy come close to matching it sorry for not posting b4 but really enjoy reading all your chat be too emotional for a minutes silence against the the team we dont mention a minute clapping then finish with IAN GREAVES SUPER WHITE ARMY pretending your stood on the lever end or burnden paddock or manny road wherever you use to worship or embankment as i did at that time for a couple of seasons ,rest in peace old stone face you got me addicted season ticket holder for 30 year keep the faith legend

Guest pansyroadwhite
R.I.P

Former Bolton Wanderers manager Ian Greaves has died at his Ainsworth home, aged 76.

Initially assistant to Jimmy Armfield at Burnden Park, Greaves took on the post in October, 1974.

He transformed the club?s fortunes, taking them to the League Cup semi-finals in 1977 and a year later, the Second Division championship.

He left Burnden Park in January, 1980, 76 with Wanderers bottom of the First Division but helped mould the careers of Sam Allardyce, Peter Reid and many others during his time at the club.

that news has upset me, Ian Greaves was a man who made me proud to support ouR wonderful club,

IAN GREAVES SUPER WHITE ARMY !!

• Site Supporter

Before my time

However, his legend has rung down the years and he is clearly as much a part of the fabric of BWFC as Burnden Park, Super John, Nat et ?l.

A minutes silence at the very least.

Before my time

However, his legend has rung down the years and he is clearly as much a part of the fabric of BWFC as Burnden Park, Super John, Nat et ?l.

He'll be before many people's time; many others, like me, will have started watching us during his spell here. But what links both sets of fans is the fact that where we are now and all the stuff od the last few years, from UEFA to Youri/JayJay etc can be traced back to what he did. That might seem an odd thing to say given in the late 80s we plummeted as far down as is possible and then the club has in effect been reborn and rebranded and relocated. But part of what drove that rise back up was the relationship between the fans and the team and the fact that - when push came to shove - we could mobilise great numbers and great atmosphere. When you think of the great away Cup followings of the early 90s this will have been people whose first taste of a great atmosphere was one of the 30k+ crowds at Burnden back in Greaves time. The great turnouts at the various Wembley events of the later 80s and early 90s much the same. OK Reading was 15 years on from Greaves time, but would we have had the turnout that we did, and would have kept the faith at 2-0 down in the way they did and would they have cheered them to victory in the way they did without the experiences of his time with us? I doubt it.

Bottom line is that if we hadn't got that side together (through Armfield's efforts as well of course) and hadn't generated the intense crowds and atmospheres we did, but just pottered round the lower divisions, then come the mid 80s we might have seemed no worse than we did in fact end up. We might never have even reached rock bottom. But i tell you what, we'd not have crawled our way back up to the top table either. The turnouts may be variable and the fans fickle, but when the chips are down we know we can blow yer Blackburns, Prestons, Burnleys and bloody Wigans out of the water - and that's his legacy.

I feel a tshirt coming on for the Arsenal game.

And from a programme in the first year back in Div 1:

gallery_7_32_134580.jpg

Anyone remember Jim McDonnagh (I think) singing re-worded version of Matchstalk Men? It was on the Town Hall steps at the 'let's show off the second division championship trophy' time.

"And old Ian greaves, his hair like snow, told Northern Folk it's time to go . . ."

I thought it was "And Ian Greaves with hair like snow told Barry Siddall its time to go, and then invited Jim to Burnden Park"

I remember the banner held up in the crowd infront of the Town Hall steps at the civic reception 'Ian Grieves No More'

RIP Mr Greaves :hi:

Before my time

Im with spider on this one,before my time however like Bolton Legends of years gone by never fogotten by the clubs fans!

R.I.P to a fellow Wanderer. A truly sad loss. :(

Ian Greaves - BWFC Legend, RIP.

Following on from what others have said, for the scum game it has to be a a minutes silence and then "Ian Greaves' Super White Army" all the way through the match!!

Back in the mid to late 70's I had just started secondary school and it would have been so easy to follow the rest of the glory hunting sheep and support a team that was on MOTD and Kick-Off every week. One of the main reason why I didn't was Ian Greaves and the team he had. Thank you Mr. Greaves, thank you for making me a Wanderer.

RIP

"IAN GREAVES SUPER WHITE ARMY........."

Ian Greaves - BWFC Legend, RIP.

Following on from what others have said, for the scum game it has to be a a minutes silence and then "Ian Greaves' Super White Army" all the way through the match!!

You would hope the Mancs will observe a minutes silence as he also played for them.

As everyone else has said on here, the man is a true BWFC legend. R.I.P.

"IAN GREAVES SUPERWHITE ARMY"

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.