Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

How Long Do We Keep Patience With Skd?

YATESY

When did he last score?

Missed his kick totally against Wigan when it seemed easier to score

Very soft shot against Arsenal when it seemed easier to score

Header over the top against Man Utd when it seemed easier to score (don't care if it was offside or a goalkick the liner flagged for - that was a debate for after the ball hits the net)

I know he is being asked to play in a midfield position but this for me is because his goalscoring is poor and getting worse.

Many on here retain the SKD title but for me Kevin Davies is anything but Super.

For me, it is only injuries that is keeping him in the team.

=@ =@ =@ =@

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When did he last score?

Header over the top against Man Utd when it seemed easier to score (don't care if it was offside or a goalkick the liner flagged for - that was a debate for after the ball hits the net)

I know he is being asked to play in a midfield position but this for me is because his goalscoring is poor and getting worse.

Many on here retain the SKD title but for me Kevin Davies is anything but Super.

=@ =@ =@ =@

Muamba blasted the ball at him, no way he could of been expected to score that!! I agree though he needs a spell out the team and that will maybe get him his edge back, only problem is nobody to bring in!

He last scored in the defeat at Aston Villa,that was also the last time Elmander scored.

Davies has scored 6 goals this season,Elmander 5.

Davies is there to put himself about and win headers as much as score goals,Elmander is there to score goals.

I don't normally find myself defending Davies...

He last scored in the defeat at Aston Villa,that was also the last time Elmander scored.

Davies has scored 6 goals this season,Elmander 5.

Davies is there to put himself about and win headers as much as score goals,Elmander is there to score goals.

I don't normally find myself defending Davies...

I think Davies has lost a bit of his edge in his allround game as well as goalscoring. He's played virtually every minute this season and took a right battering, a couple of games out will do him good imo.

When did he last score?

=@ =@ =@ =@

it was offside flag went straight up.

Davies probably sets up most of the goals we get in the team, apart from him there is only gardner or taylor who actually create opportunities and gain assists for our goals, he is not just there for scoring. his workrate off the ball, strength on it and abilities to win many headers are also positives for the side and as george pointed out he has scored more than elmander this season. imo i would have him in the side week in week out!

We'd get more out of him if we used his assets more playing a nippy striker off him upfront in a 4-4-2 - Leroy Lita as a cheapish option this window / worth a go now we've got all the crap teams to play?

I think his lack of pace costs us defensively put matty taylor on the right riccy left.

Davies has never been prolific.He has a knack of making a good chance look like only a half chance.

A minute before Chelsea scored this season he missed a great heading chance. Saying that its his presence

that creates most of our opportunities and i would keep in the team for that alone.

I think we should only be playing him if we're going to play to his strengths - which, for me, is as lone frontman with a 5 man midfield behind him. He can win headers all day long & hold the ball up for midfielders running through & can do that as well as anyone. As we're playing him now, I don't think we're getting the best of him & I think we could probably play another midfielder (smolarek?/New signing?) who would be better for the team overall. I don't blame Megson for playing Elmander upfront as first choice - I would if I'd paid ?8m+ for a striker.

• Members
When did he last score?

=@ =@ =@ =@

Yatesy - I always remember that you reckoned Nicola Anelka was a powder puff waste of money who fired blanks. With this in mind, I am completely comfortable consigning your post to the bin marked 'dross'.

The man should be revered for what he is. A true, English 100 percenter who asks no quarter and gives none. First name on the teamsheet for my money too.

• Moderators

i'd be after a proper wide right midfielder

davies aint that

elmander is as good a footballer as we have and needs to play

hes also the best finisher in the club, so needs to play

unless elmander plays as the attacking midfileder, davies hasn't got a place in the team

Yatesy - I always remember that you reckoned Nicola Anelka was a powder puff waste of money who fired blanks. With this in mind, I am completely comfortable consigning your post to the bin marked 'dross'.

The man should be revered for what he is. A true, English 100 percenter who asks no quarter and gives none. First name on the teamsheet for my money too.

My thoughts on Anelka related to how long do we keep patience with him for, after all it took him 12, 13 or 14 games to get his first Premiership goal. I asked how many goals the Borg would have scored given a similar run in the team.

I can't recall ever calling Anelka shite though. His level of skill was never a doubt.

My point with Davies is something similar. If Megson has now lost faith with playing him as the lone striker (i.e. playing to his strengths), then when our midfield injuries clear up - how can a place be justified by Davies.

• Site Supporter
My thoughts on Anelka related to how long do we keep patience with him for, after all it took him 12, 13 or 14 games to get his first Premiership goal. I asked how many goals the Borg would have scored given a similar run in the team.

I can't recall ever calling Anelka shite though. His level of skill was never a doubt.

My point with Davies is something similar. If Megson has now lost faith with playing him as the lone striker (i.e. playing to his strengths), then when our midfield injuries clear up - how can a place be justified by Davies.

Have you just compared Borgetti to Anelka?

:blink:

We'd get more out of him if we used his assets more playing a nippy striker off him upfront in a 4-4-2 - Leroy Lita as a cheapish option this window / worth a go now we've got all the crap teams to play?

I think his lack of pace costs us defensively put matty taylor on the right riccy left.

I've read this post 17 times and still can't find any Megson bashing in it.

• Site Supporter
i'd be after a proper wide right midfielder

davies aint that

elmander is as good a footballer as we have and needs to play

hes also the best finisher in the club, so needs to play

unless elmander plays as the attacking midfileder, davies hasn't got a place in the team

cant argue with any of that

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.