Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

This 'ere Howard Webb

Burndens Bogs

I think he did well in what was a very bad tempered game. How can you let a game flow when players are going to ground so easily, with no interest of playing advantage? The 1 time Robben stayed on his feet he'd have been better off going down and getting Puyol sent off which says a lot about the way football is going.

Guest Frandsen08

i thought he had a good game, all the headlines are about the cars he issued but he didnt have any choice, de jong and van bommel should of both walked, and yeah ph31 is right it was hard to let a game like that flow.

I didn't think the Spanish were soft at all, the Dutch just kept kicking them. De Jong and Van Bommel showed that they are a couple of dirty fvckers - Van Bommel was lucky to be in the final in the first place and wouldn't have been if previous refs had done their job. Webb was very good all tournament and did all he could to keep at an 11 v 11 final. However, next year I expect he'll have a shocker every time he refs a match involving BWFC.

Just had a quick read on the Beeb website, the Dutch Coach having a moan about our Howard, who I thought handled the game quite well.

Has the Dutch coach moaned about Robben missing a one on one....Has he Bollox, he's nit picking at minor details.

De Jong should have gone, if he's seen that he's got it totally worng.

I was hoping the Spliff Smokers would win at first but changed after about 20 mins when their filthy tactics came apparent.

• Moderators

given he'd shown about 5 yellow cards inside the 1st 20 mins, you knew the spanish were going to go down easy all night after that

webb did his best to try and keep the dutch in line, did well to keep it down to just 1 red card

the dutch fans can boo him all they want, just show them de jong's tackle on alonso

I didn't think the Spanish were soft at all, the Dutch just kept kicking them. De Jong and Van Bommel showed that they are a couple of dirty fvckers - Van Bommel was lucky to be in the final in the first place and wouldn't have been if previous refs had done their job. Webb was very good all tournament and did all he could to keep at an 11 v 11 final. However, next year I expect he'll have a shocker every time he refs a match involving BWFC.

The point is why should the final be reffed in such way that the ref does more than he would in any other game to keep everyone on the pitch.

It is like when a player gets away with something because it is early in the game or the ref lets something go late in a game

The point is why should the final be reffed in such way that the ref does more than he would in any other game to keep everyone on the pitch.

It is like when a player gets away with something because it is early in the game or the ref lets something go late in a game

Shouldn't at all and De Jong should have been off without a doubt, but was just saying that he wasn't giving out cards all the time, in fact he should have given out more. Apart from that he did well though.

When a referee issues as many yellow cards as Webb did, he has had a bad game. He should have stamped his authority on the game by showing the red card for the first red card offence but he is a bottler. Just like when he bottled out of sending Vidic of in the League Cup final. Still at least Man U had a representative in the World Cup final.

• Site Supporter

When a referee issues as many yellow cards as Webb did, he has had a bad game. He should have stamped his authority on the game by showing the red card for the first red card offence but he is a bottler. Just like when he bottled out of sending Vidic of in the League Cup final. Still at least Man U had a representative in the World Cup final.

Very good point made there.

And that's why I gave him a 6.

That is rubbish.

• Site Supporter

And FWIW I don't agree that Webb is a bottler, I just think he made a mistake.

But a red card for De Jong may well have made that a better game, the fact he didn't get one, seemed to make it a free for all.

Why is it rubbish?

Did you not read the rest of the post.

It's rubbish because the statement said if a ref issues as many yellow cards as Webb did then he has had a bad game. If the fouls or offences deserve yellow cards then that doesn't mean he had a bad game. The rest of the post doe not really back up the first general statement in the first sentence.

Edited by jolly-olly

Guest Frandsen08

what makes me laugh is all the dutch banging on about webb not getting the key decisions right. if he would of got the so called key decisions right the dutch would of been down to 9 men in the first 20 minutes.

what biffo is saying is that if a parent has to keep smacking their kids, they're doing something wrong

he's reet

I don't think that it's a fair analogy as players are directed by coaching staff that set a gameplan, not the referee, despite what the ref says/does

Anyway, take the hype and bollocks out of it and I thought Webb was poor and I gave him a 4.

what biffo is saying is that if a parent has to keep smacking their kids, they're doing something wrong

he's reet

I can't see how the ref can be said to have a bad game when he has to give yellow cards for certain kinds of fouls, persistant fouling, removing a shirt, dissent and the likes.

World Cup Final, damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Thought he did pretty well all things considered. The Dutch have more to answer too than Webb does.

Anyway did I not like Ronald Koeman in '93. What goes around............

• Members

World Cup Final, damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Thought he did pretty well all things considered. The Dutch have more to answer too than Webb does.

Anyway did I not like Ronald Koeman in '93. What goes around............

'93? Can't be World Cup or Euro Championship related? Gay bar in Amsterdam?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.