Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Non League Chatter

leigh white

again, not as much as others think

they have let players go who have wanted more money, they are sticking to a budget

I think they're sticking to a budget but it's a big one. I got told by a relative of salford city player that he was doing very nicely out of playing and that was a couple of years ago. I think it's a combination of things. The owners attract players as does the publicity of the documentary. The new ground they've built on the old one will bring players as well.

Salford season tickets are priced at £100 for an early bird which wouldn't generate the required money to cover the wages/running costs alone (500 @ 100 = £50,000), however they are trying to cash in on the back of the owners names, and are offering a corporate package (Class of 92 club  :bad: ) where the season tickets cost £1000 (includes a meal and to mingle with CO92 before & the players after the match :bang: )

£50,000 + £100,000 = £150,000 from ticket revenue plus any sponsorship (again increased on the back of the CO92 name) and you all of a sudden are looking at a workable budget especially in the National North.  The problem comes when you start looking at the national league budgets.  Tranmere averaged nearly 5.5k last season, Barrow's owner invested £1m and Eastleigh went big on wages, non of which got promoted!

Salford season tickets are priced at £100 for an early bird which wouldn't generate the required money to cover the wages/running costs alone (500 @ 100 = £50,000), however they are trying to cash in on the back of the owners names, and are offering a corporate package (Class of 92 club  :bad: ) where the season tickets cost £1000 (includes a meal and to mingle with CO92 before & the players after the match :bang: )

I know people love the whole "jumpers for goalposts" divisions and "getting back to grass roots" type shit, but surely this massively goes against all of that, especially if you are forking out £1000 a year, just so that you can see Paul Scholes ginger nudger in the bogs at half time.

What do the "original" (as oposed to glory hunting) Salford fans think about all this? - are they excited, or do they think it's a bit shit and worry that they're turning into a mini Man Utd?

Couple of mates who are old salford fans. One of them hates it and feels they've destroyed the club. The other one really misses the old days but is excited at how good they are. Read the other day that bilericay have a weekly wage bill of 25 grand! I'm guessing with all the publicity salford get very good sponsorship deals. The new ground has obviously been bankrolled though.

. Read the other day that bilericay have a weekly wage bill of 25 grand!

Yes, they're owned by some local millionaire, who bought them at Christmas last year, who is bankrolling them............and he also installed himself as manager!! - they had Paul Konchesky and Jamie O'Hara playing for them last season (I don't know if they will still be there this season) - apparently Konchesky is on £2500 per week

• Moderators

Even at our (colls) level, players are moving for decent money. I'm sure some at Runcorn Linnets are on £250 a week, doesn't sound much but you wouldn't turn it down.

Presume they have a day job at this level?

• 2 weeks later...

Neville said he's committed to league football. Can't see them leaving moor lane they've spent a fortune building 4 new stands. They could do with finding some new fans but if they keep winning they probably will, they've already found a thousand from nowhere. If Neville and co get bored though I imagine they'll be finished.

Fleetwood have gone from getting a couple of hundred on to a couple of thousand in similar circumstances

Salfords location should benefit them in some ways as they have a larger population to go at, but then again they have a lot of competing clubs

They will get a lot of support from United fans I suppose

I'd imagine e they could sustain league 1 / national league football easily enough

What's the end game for Salford city? The rugby team gets fuck all watching them, the football team surely is a dead duck. Any Bolton fans go watching them needs to give their head a wobble.

always thought you Mancs would be all over it :D 

• 3 weeks later...

Couple of mates who are old salford fans. One of them hates it and feels they've destroyed the club. The other one really misses the old days but is excited at how good they are. Read the other day that bilericay have a weekly wage bill of 25 grand! I'm guessing with all the publicity salford get very good sponsorship deals. The new ground has obviously been bankrolled though.

they've done some shady shit over the summer, spoke to one of the players dads this weekend, it's not good at all.

i wont be going again anyway

mon the colls