Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Gary Speed Has Died

no balls

I watched football focus yesterday and said to myself what a cracking bloke and what a lucky lad was Gary Speed had everything and with a good dash of humility thought one day we might be lucky enough to have him back at BWFC as our manager, the news he had died today hit me like an express train I was and am truly upset, what his wife,parents and his kids feel like I dread to think. Thanks for the memories Gary Speed a true football warrior and a football good guy and legend of the game, RIP.

Always thought we were lucky to have gary because he was such a class act, and looking back he was worth every penny we paid for him. he was without doubt the fittest player in the team and considering their were players a lot younger shows how remarkable he was. as skipper he was inspirational,and i feel privalaged to have watched him play for bwfc. i have been in shock all day and my thoughts are with his wife, 2 lads, his mum and dad , and the rest of his family. and finally my heart and thoughts go to you garry, hope you find some peace.

When I asked my mum if she had heard about Gary speed she said 'is he the new Bolton manager?'. This would be the last thing to cross our minds. Hope Bolton can pay a fitting tribute.

Like fighting hard for 90 minutes?

I'm normally just a cynical old cunt, but I was absolutely gobsmacked & gutted to hear the news.

I was born in the same year as Speedo and you just don't envisage people your own age dying and leaving kids behind.

There's obviously a troubled mind behind all this which ended up being too much to take.

I just hope he's at peace with himself right now.

Goodnight Gary, thanks for the memories.

Edited by Traf

I've not been on W/Ways for a very long time but had to come on to say how shocked and taken a back I was to hear the news earlier today about Gary Speed. Hours later I still find it hard to take in. Even though I didn't know him on a personal level it feels like I've lost a mate. Sounds strange that I know because Im not an emotional type of bloke, but it knocked me for six when I heard. Im 42 also and have a couple of kids and to think what his family are going through right now, it will be unimaginable. My heart goes out to them all, especially his kids.

RIP.

Lost a friend through suicide earlier this year & this has touched a wound that has not healed yet. Can't get my head round it at all. Had the privilege of meeting Gary Speed on a few occasions what a gentleman, character & footballer he was, numbed, well & truly numbed. Watched Shay Given cry his eyes out prior to the Swans vs Villa game earlier & I can understand his pain. RIP Gary Speed.... Top bloke.