Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

And Did Those Feethams, In Ancient......

bolty58

• Members

Posted by 'Monkey Hanger Mick' on our scooter club forum overnight (we call him that because it drives the Darlington pillock fcuking mental). A sad state of affairs.

Darlington football club its all over? After 128 years it looks like the club will play its last game this Saturday. We went into receivership this week for the third time in 9 years but this is the last time. Massive debts - no one will bail us out this time. This is a club that has played most of its 128 years in the lower leagues of English football . Receivership has got us relegated twice . It's hard enough for a club when they go into receivership as you lose any half decent players the club has but that's not all. The Football League deduct a minimum 10pts - another nail in the coffin. I think the Football Association couldn't give a s#it about the small clubs. This is grass roots football, real football, real fans . Saturday afternoon on the terraces with a pie and a Bovril before the Football Association took that away as well. We were always a small club and I liked it like that. We kept afloat by selling players to bigger clubs. You didn't like it but that's how the club survived. We just recently sold our keeper Stockdale to Fulham - too late to save us though. We aren't the first club this has happened to and we wont be the last.

Posted by 'Monkey Hanger Mick' on our scooter club forum overnight (we call him that because it drives the Darlington pillock fcuking mental). A sad state of affairs.

Darlington football club its all over? After 128 years it looks like the club will play its last game this Saturday. We went into receivership this week for the third time in 9 years but this is the last time. Massive debts - no one will bail us out this time. This is a club that has played most of its 128 years in the lower leagues of English football . Receivership has got us relegated twice . It's hard enough for a club when they go into receivership as you lose any half decent players the club has but that's not all. The Football League deduct a minimum 10pts - another nail in the coffin. I think the Football Association couldn't give a s#it about the small clubs. This is grass roots football, real football, real fans . Saturday afternoon on the terraces with a pie and a Bovril before the Football Association took that away as well. We were always a small club and I liked it like that. We kept afloat by selling players to bigger clubs. You didn't like it but that's how the club survived. We just recently sold our keeper Stockdale to Fulham - too late to save us though. We aren't the first club this has happened to and we wont be the last.

Could you please ask him how its the FA's fault that they built a staium they couldn't afford, and ran their business in such a bad way as to fail 3 times in 9 years, and report back to us.

Thanks in advance.

A good post on a Darlo forum. Let?s make Barrow on Saturday a celebration of the life of Darlington Football Club, not a wake or a funeral or an attack of those who have dropped us into this position.

Go to Barrow and show people around the world how proud we are of our team and our lads. Let?s show people that we still care, that we are still proud of the club and our town. Let?s show people that Darlington Football Club stands as an ambassador for our town and our area and we will not just give it up and slope off home. We will fight on.

Let?s show the players that that shirt still means something, that that shirt still needs to be worn with pride and that it is worth putting on that shirt and running out on that pitch and representing all of us one last time. One last go lads, everything you have got, one last time, 90 minutes of life as a Darlo player left. Shit or bust, hero or zero. Go out with a bang and not a whimper.

Use this game to thank them and the legend that is Craig Liddle for everything they have done recently, against so much strife, unpleasantness and uncertainty and tell them that we are so proud that they are carrying on, lets get behind whoever takes a place on that pitch, regardless of opinion, past reputation or performance on the day. Because this might be the last time!

Lets show people what it means to be a fan of Darlo, celebrate those 128 years of existence. Celebrate everything that has gone before, the good, the bad, and the ugly, show people that we although we have been here through thin and thinner, that we have suffered blow after blow we are still not beaten ,we are still not broken, we are still here and we still stand proudly behind Darlington Football Club.

Show them that although we have been on knocked down and might be on the canvas right now we will get back on our feet and come out punching. It will be us who land the knock out blow. Use this day to shame all of those plastics and couldn?t give a damns in the town into thinking about what they could have been a part of, make them see what have been about, what we are about and what we will be about again.

Lets celebrate the good times, the 85 promotion, Boro, the Conference win in 89/90, Welling away, 90/91 champions, Rochdale at home, Knowles, Little, Hodgy Platt, Hodgy (again), Wembley in 96 and 2000 and that sweet moment in May when a little fella headed home from half a yard to win us the cup.

Make everyone who has knocked us or laughed at us over the years understand that today we embrace all of the crap players, the terrible teams, the rubbish managers and the crazy chairman who have afflicted us. Why? Because all of that makes the few good times even better. Because all of those things are what Darlington Football Club is about. Let?s show them what it means to call your self a Darlo fan one last time.

Lets also think of all those people in the Tin Shed in the sky who aren?t able to stand with us on Saturday, think about what the club meant to them and how they passed on that love for the club to you, think about how one day you want to pass that love on to the next generation so that they know what being a Darlo fan is all about. I am sure they will be stood leaning on that crash barrier under the Sunday Sun board with their scarf?s and flasks of Bovril thinking "typical bloody Darlo" - but they would still make the journey if they could! In fact I am sure they will be there with us. Sing that bit louder for them.

If anyone is unsure about going and is able to go they should make the trip, it could be your only chance to say goodbye to the team you love. It could be your last chance to wear the black and white and get behind the lads. Do whatever it takes to get to Barrow, wear your shirts with pride and wave your scarf?s one last time. Tell anyone you meet where you are going and why. Tell them you are proud to support the lads!

And should this turn out to be the last time then lets celebrate all of that, lets support the lads and the manager, lets keep singing up to the final whistle and beyond because this club means something to each and every one of us, it has been part of our lives for so long, it is what makes us who were are, it is what makes us better than everyone else and it might not be there for much longer. Let?s make this day one of the greatest moments for this football club.

If it is to be the end lets go out on a high, all guns blazing giving it everything we have got and not for one minute forgetting that we are Darlington Football Club and we will bounce back!

Aye it's sad, a grand old club... then you get the likes of AFC Wimbledon and FC United of Manchester springing up and thinking they have a devine right to walk into the league because they didn't like what happened to their clubs. If Darlo go to the wall it will be a sad day for football.

Could you please ask him how its the FA's fault that they built a staium they couldn't afford, and ran their business in such a bad way as to fail 3 times in 9 years, and report back to us.

Thanks in advance.

The stadium was a vanity project by their ex-chairman George Reynolds, tough to blame the club fo it.

• Members

I just find it unconscionable. The Citehs, Uniteds, Spurs, Arsenals. Liverpools etc. spending like they do when a club that means so much to their town (yes, I know they don't get mega crowds but the fact remains that a football club is an extension of a towns identity and is often a cause for great pride) can go to the wall for relative peanuts.

Something stinks about modern day football. There needs to be a more equitable distribution of funds. The small clubs are often breeding grounds for players who end up at the big boys (although, admittedly, this is becoming rarer when they'd rather go and spunk millions overseas).

Aye it's sad, a grand old club... then you get the likes of AFC Wimbledon and FC United of Manchester springing up and thinking they have a devine right to walk into the league because they didn't like what happened to their clubs.

AFC Wimbledon have never thought they have a divine right to be in the football league*. They're a good club run and owned by the fans and have worked their way up on a tight budget. Having your club moved to a town 2 hours away by a bunch of speculators, what would you do? Starting up again seems a reasonable plan.

*the FA Cup business is totally different.

AFC Wimbledon have never thought they have a divine right to be in the football league*. They're a good club run and owned by the fans and have worked their way up on a tight budget. Having your club moved to a town 2 hours away by a bunch of speculators, what would you do? Starting up again seems a reasonable plan.

disagree... AFC Wimbledon have nothing to do with the Plough Lane Wimbledon at all apart from some fans and minor club officials.

MK Dons aren't Wimbledon either... it's not the AFC in yankified gridiron crap where franchises can be bought or sold and moved from state to state on the whim of a rich owner.

Wimbledon died.

They weren't an old long standing league club with a hundred years tradition of league football, they were a young club in league terms that did really well for themselves. fair play to them. The good times came to an end and the club died. end of in my opinion. Gretna were exactly the same in Scotland, they came through, flourished, and although they fell at the final hurdle when it came to inning something, they did well. then it all went tits up and they folded.

I have no problem with AFC Wimbledon playing their way into the league structure.. well done!! I have a problem with the poncey fans who are saying "We are back where we belong" (I have met a few)

It#s a new club and absolutely fuck all to do with The Crazy gang

I just find it unconscionable. The Citehs, Uniteds, Spurs, Arsenals. Liverpools etc. spending like they do when a club that means so much to their town (yes, I know they don't get mega crowds but the fact remains that a football club is an extension of a towns identity and is often a cause for great pride) can go to the wall for relative peanuts.

Something stinks about modern day football. There needs to be a more equitable distribution of funds. The small clubs are often breeding grounds for players who end up at the big boys (although, admittedly, this is becoming rarer when they'd rather go and spunk millions overseas).

What he said

What she said

I wonder how many would turn out if bolton were on the verge of playing our last game ever before going to the wall?

30,000? more?

We might not turn out week in and out but when it counts we are there

One would suggest in those circumstances, the fans were not there when it counts, but turned up later.

So darlo are 100k a month short

Most city players earn that in a week

Something is wrong somewhere

I wonder how much darlo's players earn?

My mates brother plays for Darlington, and he earns ?900 per week, so I can see why they're losing so much money if non league players are pulling that sort of wage.

disagree... AFC Wimbledon have nothing to do with the Plough Lane Wimbledon at all apart from some fans and minor club officials.

MK Dons aren't Wimbledon either... it's not the AFC in yankified gridiron crap where franchises can be bought or sold and moved from state to state on the whim of a rich owner.

Wimbledon died.

They weren't an old long standing league club with a hundred years tradition of league football, they were a young club in league terms that did really well for themselves. fair play to them. The good times came to an end and the club died. end of in my opinion. Gretna were exactly the same in Scotland, they came through, flourished, and although they fell at the final hurdle when it came to inning something, they did well. then it all went tits up and they folded.

I have no problem with AFC Wimbledon playing their way into the league structure.. well done!! I have a problem with the poncey fans who are saying "We are back where we belong" (I have met a few)

It#s a new club and absolutely fuck all to do with The Crazy gang

The core of their support were there in the old days and always wanted the club back in Merton. That's not going to happen, land in Merton is too expensive. But a mile out of the borough is better than at Selhurst. They've picked up a lot of new fans, youngsters especially, with decent prices.

If you're saying that they aren't the same club that played at Plough Lane, you can equally say Bolton aren't the same club that played in the 80s at Burnden - different fans, different stadium, different players and so on.

I do take issue with your description of the fans as poncey too, Rab.