Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Who On Here Was There?

DomRepWanderer

I was in a corporate box that evening, I think Sir Michael Caine was our guest of honour, or Pele, can't quite remember now.

Seem to remember the Soreen Canapes were a little too dry for my liking.

Edited by Smiley

• Site Supporter

I was in a corporate box that evening, I think Sir Michael Caine was our guest of honour, or Pele, can't quite remember now.

Seem to remember the Soreen Canapes were a little too dry for my liking.

bet you didn't get a t shirt though!!!!!!!

Just looking at a few Bolton old boys, i was surprised David Hoggan was a prolific scorer in the US

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hoggan_(footballer)

Read an article about him last year had a great career in the US it's a shame because I'm sure he he would have had a great career if he'd have stayed in England he had a lot of quality.

How many thousands did we take to Blackburn when we were promoted in 1978? Thats one Im always told about whenever I talk about big Bolton away followings

There was 27000 on Bolton all over the ground I would think about 15,000 Bolton on. Also seem to remember Bolton going in there end and scattering them, can anyone confirm my memory is not playing tricks?

Ps was Rovers end called the riverside?

There was 27000 on Bolton all over the ground I would think about 15,000 Bolton on. Also seem to remember Bolton going in there end and scattering them, can anyone confirm my memory is not playing tricks?

My estimate was 20,000

I was on " the Blackburn End" that night. At around kick off, about 150 Bolton fans,- mainly Barney's crowd,- moved up to the back & took it over with very little resistance.We stayed there all the match & most Blackburn fans left before the end (hardly surprising with the number of Bolton fans in the ground)

There is film of the Frankie Worthy goal ,which shows Bolton fans at the back of their end.

• Members

Town end, both sides, Darwen end - a complete takeover. If there weren't 20,000 Bolton there that night I'd be very surprised.

There were more than just Barneys barmy army in the Town End at the start. Some of em left half way through the first half and got into that Riverside paddock towards the Darwen End after all the Town End 'fun' had gone. It didn't last very long in there either.

Cassies right about Huddersfield in the FA Cup and Everton in that semi final too. Reidy scored at Hudderfield and Whatmore at Everton. Both times, half the stadium went mental.

One of my fondest memories of that Blackburn game was coming back over Tockholes afterwards. Nose to tail traffic jam and pissed up Bowtners everywhere - sat beside the road with bottles; took over the pub etc.

I can always remember the missus' words when I walked in at the weekend. "Where've yer bin?" - "Football match" - "3 bloody days!!!??" - "Well it were an away match".

• Site Supporter

Couple of us were walking past the No Name at Bradshaw heading for that Blackburn game. Bloke stopped his car and asked if we were going to the game . . . hop in.

He even waited for us to finish celebrating after the game and took us home.

I think, once they'd opened the turnstiles near the end, even more Bolton piled in all around the ground who had either never got in for the game or had been kicked out during the game. Happy days.

I was on " the Blackburn End" that night. At around kick off, about 150 Bolton fans,- mainly Barney's crowd,- moved up to the back & took it over with very little resistance.We stayed there all the match & most Blackburn fans left before the end (hardly surprising with the number of Bolton fans in the ground)

There is film of the Frankie Worthy goal ,which shows Bolton fans at the back of their end.

Never seen any footage of that night has anyone know where to find it?

Edited by Mounts Kipper

Never seen any footage of that night has anyone know where to find it?

Aye, that would be superb!

We were in the side terracing to the right of the away end, and that was solid Bolton up to about the half way line. But I can remember looking at the away end and thinking it was as crammed as anything I'd seen.

Now, how many others here were among the 1,987 at Wimbledon away in the LC in 1992?

Blackpool away at Xmas in promotion season - think their average crowd that season was about 5k and 25k was on that day -IIRC - 70% from Bolton

Seem to remember Luton away - probably same season - one hell of a turn out that day - all the coaches were parked up on a disused railway siding?

Aye, that would be superb!

We were in the side terracing to the right of the away end, and that was solid Bolton up to about the half way line. But I can remember looking at the away end and thinking it was as crammed as anything I'd seen.

Now, how many others here were among the 1,987 at Wimbledon away in the LC in 1992?

Was that a game at plough lane? Only remember going to plough lane the once when they battered us sat in the main stand sat near the Arab guy forgot his name who owned them what was his name? And what year was that?

• Moderators

Seem to remember Luton away - probably same season - one hell of a turn out that day - all the coaches were parked up on a disused railway siding?

the televised game?

when morgans back pass from the half way line gave a corner away?

thats on youtube