Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

30 And 25 Years Ago

paulhanley

82/3 is my favourite season, it was the first I started to go with my mates. Love meeting players from that era; John McGovern tells you how skint the club was, Jeff Chandler still could have any woman he wants and Gerry McElhinney is one of the soundest blokes you could meet.

82/3 is my favourite season, it was the first I started to go with my mates. Love meeting players from that era; John McGovern tells you how skint the club was, Jeff Chandler still could have any woman he wants and Gerry McElhinney is one of the soundest blokes you could meet.

Could you imagine meeting todays prima-donnas

Just looked at his record...Seven goals, and that's it? I thought he'd more than that?

Two in the play-off final, one against Wimbledon, Blackburn at Burnden, one in the 'Boro drubbing :)...

Any more? There's more than two, I'm sure of it.

Theres a video from a Forest season review on youtube of the game he scored in at Burnden, really good goal too

Didn't go to that Wimbledon home game, but was at the reverse 0-4 defeat (shades of Scarborough).

Was at Southend - back in the 'big time'.

Didn't we lose at home to Wimbledon in the 96/97 League Cup, after beating Chelsea 2-1 and thrashing Spurs 6(7)-1 ?

Bit like losing at home to Oldham after beating Everton & Arsenal away and Villa at home.

Edited by Rembrandt

Didn't go to that Wimbledon home game, but was at the reverse 0-4 defeat (shades of Scarborough).

Was at Southend - back in the 'big time'.

Didn't we lose at home to Wimbledon in the 96/97 League Cup, after beating Chelsea 2-1 and thrashing Spurs 6(7)-1 ?

Bit like losing at home to Oldham after beating Everton & Arsenal away and Villa at home.

yeah after spurs we got beat 2-0 by Wimbledon.

I don't think i've seen an end empty faster than Southend's that day. Next time we played at Southend (over Xmas) they made it an early kick off to try & put Bolton fans off travelling but we took on the challenge & still got in the pubs before the locals.  Happy days.

Poor fucking gibby getting nicked at the end of the video, he had to go to court three times in Southend.

I don't think i've seen an end empty faster than Southend's that day. Next time we played at Southend (over Xmas) they made it an early kick off to try & put Bolton fans off travelling but we took on the challenge & still got in the pubs before the locals.  Happy days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bFiexw270Y

Me and my old man are on that clip.

What a top day out.

Days like that will never happen again with CCTV and the like.

Can remember it like it was yesterday, 12 midnight -friday- luton van with 48 lads in the back heading for borough market pub in london, probably the shittest pub ever, but it opened at 6.30am never seen as many not rights in my life .never to be repeated, but never forgotten

we went down in a van driven by Brixton,11 travelled down,20 odd came back due to the driver of the above mentione 7.5 ton van/lorry getting arrested and loads piling into ours. Pretty sure C86 was with us ?  There was a glass partition in the van,I was lucky to be in the front seats,those in the back almost dehydrated  :thumbsup:

• Moderators

we went down in a van driven by Brixton,11 travelled down,20 odd came back due to the driver of the above mentione 7.5 ton van/lorry getting arrested and loads piling into ours. Pretty sure C86 was with us ?  There was a glass partition in the van,I was lucky to be in the front seats,those in the back almost dehydrated  :thumbsup:

saw a proper mongy looking cunt on the pitch

was it you :)