Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Past New Years Eve's.....

Bobcat

• Site Supporter

when that scaffold stage collapsed on the town hall steps,under the weight of what as described as " drunken revilers" who had previously bottled the band off it, I started the new year on the front page of the evening news along with other folk labelled "drunken revilers", memory blends into one all the different times there, but sure someone was up the tree throwing light bulbs then too.

do people still congregate in the town hall square or has that been done away with?

Town Hall steps singing Wanderers songs night before we drew 1-1 with WBA when Diouf scored late on.

That night in snowed in biblical proportions, stuck up near Smithills Hall with mates swigging from a bottle of Tia Luso, in the days of silly youth

Dave Pearce at Printworks a few years ago, supposed to see in the new year but he didn't turn up till 2

Last year Leeds away, clock struck 12 as dozens of people were scrambling around on the floor trying to find "£500" that was supposedly in one of the balloons this pub had dropped from the ceiling. Turned out it was food vouchers for Walkabout in nominations of £10 each haha

when that scaffold stage collapsed on the town hall steps,under the weight of what as described as " drunken revilers" who had previously bottled the band off it, I started the new year on the front page of the evening news along with other folk labelled "drunken revilers", memory blends into one all the different times there, but sure someone was up the tree throwing light bulbs then too.

do people still congregate in the town hall square or has that been done away with?

Same year...

Police vans rocking with people fighting inside them...

For some strange reason think they had large police presences after that...

Edited by Bobcat

• Site Supporter

Same year...

Police vans rocking with people fighting inside them...

For some strange reason think they had large police presences after that...

aye, I remember going after that time they had fences stopping you getting on the steps at all and police at every entrance, stopping you going in with ale and the like. stopped going shortly after due to the fact couldnt be arsed laving the pub to look at a clock

I remember my mum asking me if I was one of the drunken revellers in the picture.

Remember having a 2 hour blackout one NYE in town having done the Halliwell mile earlier that day.

• Moderators

WW's A listers only. Whatever happened to Brixton? Some say he lives in a house with 20 cats and only leaves the house when he needs a wee.

He can be found hanging round Atherton Tesco every Monday evening.