Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Engagement Rings

royal white

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a mate who is after getting engaged, I know loser, well hes after getting a ring designed as the high street jewellers is way over priced, Has anyone done this before and can anyone give any good recommendations  

This means you're proposing to B, aren't ya? ha

I was once dumb enough to propose and be engaged - the ring (then) cost me a relative packet...

When she finally (inevitably) chucked it back at me and, eventually, I got rid of it, the proceeds of the sale were spent in an afternoon/early evening session around town.

Anyone thinking of the 'traditionally' romantic way of 'proving' your love should read this article first, then hopefully head down the travel agents for a nice holiday for two instead, pick up a Elizabeth Duke catalogue or visit one of those kid's egg machines on the way back.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2006/12/the-diamond-myth/305491/

a bit from the article...

the idea that diamonds make a good investment is a false one. Diamonds, he argued, are nearly impossible to sell once bought because “any gain from the appreciation of the diamonds will probably be lost in selling them.” He recounted one test conducted by a British magazine: the editor bought diamonds in 1970 and tried to sell them in 1978, but could not sell them for a price anywhere close to the one he had originally paid. Epstein also wrote of a wealthy woman who tried to resell a diamond ring she had bought for $100,000 from Tiffany & Co. in New York City. After shopping the jewel around in vain, she gave up...

Another good (and more concise) read here..

7 Reasons Why Diamonds are a Waste of Money.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ira-weissman/7-reasons-why-you-shouldn_b_1720870.html

An excerpt from this one...

The most common misconception about engagement rings is that they're some kind of ancient tradition that's deeply embedded in human history in societies around the world. This is completely false. The idea of a diamond engagement ring is roughly a century old. Guess who invented the concept? Not surprisingly, it's the same people who mined the diamonds -- the De Beers diamond syndicate...

Edited by Youri McAnespie

What's the general consensus on how much to spend on a ring?

Number of blowjobs a week, times by, acts of depravity squared. Add a zero and divide by number of irrational huffs & silences given out during rag week.

Scientifically proven to last no more than 18.4 months without a date set.

Friend of mine flew out to Dubai to get theirs made! Much better value for money and they make it there and then for you

Polygamist is he?

Since when do men wear them?

The world has gone mad...

My dad didn't even wear a wedding ring - striking an early blow for male emancipation there.

Number of blowjobs a week, times by, acts of depravity squared. Add a zero and divide by number of irrational huffs & silences given out during rag week.

Scientifically proven to last no more than 18.4 months without a date set.

Quality

• Site Supporter

My dad didn't even wear a wedding ring - striking an early blow for male emancipation there.

I don't wear one,

we bought a "token" one for the actual wedding, Wore it for about a week and broke it.. (I say broke, It was removed with a pair of pliers)..

worn it once since on an interview..

Blokes wedding rings just work like magnets attracting house wives... True Story...

Blokes wedding rings just work like magnets attracting house wives... True Story...

I tried that theory once, I wore a gold band I'd found for a week as an 'experiment' (OK, I was back in the saddle after ages and clueless as fuck and having no luck).

It attracted all the wrong (or right - I suppose?) types of women, and, when I sacked it off after a week or so, backfired shortly after, when a nice girl I was having a chat with blew me out when she saw the tanline I'd acquired - presuming me to be some philandering 'The Dog' type.

Anyhow, that sounds (Swanny's comment) like the openings of a promising letter to Razzle Readers Letters - Go on then, care to elaborate... :)

Friend of mine flew out to Dubai to get theirs made! Much better value for money and they make it there and then for you

I'd have thought RW would've gone down that route as well.

Sounds like a great excuse for a trip to Dubai! Might try it myself but plan a weekend when there's some religious holiday and all the jewellers are closed!!

I'd have thought RW would've gone down that route as well.

Sounds like a great excuse for a trip to Dubai! Might try it myself but plan a weekend when there's some religious holiday and all the jewellers are closed!!

Ha ha I wish mate, I am in Africa at the moment, I might see if I can get to some of the mines, to look for my mate obviously