Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sunday Blues

gonzo

• 1 month later...

Started at 11am yesterday. Haydock races. Massive house party back the FY5. Got home at 4:30am.

Pestered the wife with a flaccid willy for about an hour then tried to stuff it in once she gave in. It was trying to stuff play doh in to jam jar.

McDonald's and dominoes plus 4 pints in the golden eagle and the doom is gradually setting in.

My pillow feels hot already.

A few days in the sun and no work phone was empowering. Switching it on to find 350 emails, suicidal.

CV brushing up time :)

always take mine with me

Brush most aside and delegate others each day

Much prefer that and returning to a normal workload than ignoring and returning to thousands and stressed to the eyeballs

Each to their own...I can't switch off so prefer to "view from a distance"

A week in and I have very little extra to what I had a week ago and I know exactly where we are so feel relaxed for week 2; if I was completely in the dark I would be shitting it

IMO this approach is massively subjective

• Site Supporter

I do the same as Jules.

Each to their own, but coming back to a million emails, several of which will be angry because that's how life is, is not for me.

Plus, I find it much more pleasant and relaxing to spend half an hour each day of my holiday dealing with a bit of work stuff, makes me enjoy the holiday more knowing everyone else isn't reading their email whilst drinking icy lager in the shade of a palm tree.

It's the first time I've left my work phone at home, it was one of those great ideas at the time ideas. Never again.

And I'll be seeing my arse with a few folk tomorrow who have clearly not an ounce of gumption.

Plus, I find it much more pleasant and relaxing to spend half an hour each day of my holiday dealing with a bit of work stuff, makes me enjoy the holiday more knowing everyone else isn't reading their email whilst drinking icy lager in the shade of a palm tree.

This!!!

It's the first time I've left my work phone at home, it was one of those great ideas at the time ideas. Never again.

And I'll be seeing my arse with a few folk tomorrow who have clearly not an ounce of gumption.

You moved to the public sector?!? :o

;)

• 3 months later...

always take mine with me

Brush most aside and delegate others each day

Much prefer that and returning to a normal workload than ignoring and returning to thousands and stressed to the eyeballs

Each to their own...I can't switch off so prefer to "view from a distance"

A week in and I have very little extra to what I had a week ago and I know exactly where we are so feel relaxed for week 2; if I was completely in the dark I would be shitting it

IMO this approach is massively subjective

As you say subjective and I daresay depends on what stake you have in the company and who you can delegate to.

Last three years I have left work phone at home but taken my personal phone with me, left that number with a few people so in event of major issue they can get me otherwise, out of office means just that. Only do this for big holiday for odd days phone stays on.

Works for me. (Although having just been made redundant maybe not so good for others )

• 1 month later...
  • Site Supporter

I have the Philips alarm clock, it definitely helps but maybe I need one strapped to me all day.

When it goes off, does it vibrate as well?

Joking aside; been shite since the equinox. Lamp helps as does this relatively decent weather.

Seemingly just want to eat anything with calories too.