Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

10 Years Ago Today

SatanGreavsie

• Moderators

We were there by about 11am. Fucking grumpy coach driver thought he was on an OAP's jolly.

Pulled in to some picturesque village in Hampshire, 50 lads pissing against a wall and leaving a fucking mass of empties next to the small bin at the bus stop didn't go down well.

We were told to head to some right dodgy looking boozer early on. Walked in and it packed with 6:57 lads.

Thought here we go....until they all started chanting Ferny! Big John Westy stood on the bar and did a speech in honour. Brilliant.

The celebrations after the match were unbelievable. Great times indeed.

.....we're all going on European tour

• Site Supporter

We were told to head to some right dodgy looking boozer early on. Walked in and it packed with 6:57 lads.

Thought here we go....until they all started chanting Ferny! Big John Westy stood on the bar and did a speech in honour. Brilliant.

The celebrations after the match were unbelievable. Great times indeed.

.....we're all going on European tour

We're you in there when Milan Mandaric did his speech?

Was on crutches for that game. It was a pain in the arse trying to get about. Wouldn't have missed it for anything! There was some cracking inflatables flying about that day if I remember rightly.

• Site Supporter

I've been there when they've done that at a different game.

Fair play to em, top effort from Westy & the lads to come up for the funeral too. What I meant though was I doubt it's been done for a supporter of one team by those of another.

Fernys tribute in the Pompey v Man City programme is a belter, I got a few sent up. Good bunch of lads n lasses down in the Newcolme Pub.

I posted about it on here at the time but at wolves away this year we met some wolves fellas that go all over watching England. The first thing they asked was if we knew Ferny.

One of the older blokes had been over to the lamb a few times to see him when we played em.

There was a 8 of em all in this certain pub and every one was at his funeral.

I posted about it on here at the time but at wolves away this year we met some wolves fellas that go all over watching England. The first thing they asked was if we knew Ferny.

One of the older blokes had been over to the lamb a few times to see him when we played em.

Is that the big lads, I think a couple are prison wardens?

• Site Supporter

Was it the Great Western or Northern ( or something like that) under the bridge in the old Railway yard? Ferny took us down there for the play off game, thought we were gonna get murdered in there, there was some reet roughnecks in but we were made very welcome.

Correct me if am wrong but I am certain that we still had an outside chance of CL qualification that day but Everton won and that went....

Yeah. Beat Everton last day and only ended a point or 2 off didn't we

Yeah. Beat Everton last day and only ended a point or 2 off didn't we

I seem to remember that we lost away at Everton to a very very late goal that year, and that if we'd have held on to the draw and everything else that year stayed the same, we'd have been in CL?