Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

This Old Lady Who Killed Herself

no balls

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-32748923

The charity business, and we all know that's what it is, I wonder how many have been pushed to breaking point or has given more than they can afford after the doorstep salesmen, emails, telephone calls, town centre clip board holders have had their £1 for a 'good cause'.

Controversial I know to question charity, but I think it's an industry which needs tighter controls.

Discuss

• Site Supporter

i never donate to charities. the charity bosses get paid hundreds of thousands! my dad use to work for red cross and he siad most of the donates went to the managers salary

i never donate to charities. the charity bosses get paid hundreds of thousands! my dad use to work for red cross and he siad most of the donates went to the managers salary

Are you sure he was brie-ing serious? Edam feta had be as that's a serious accusation

Think Caerphilly about it

• Site Supporter

Are you sure he was brie-ing serious? Edam feta had be as that's a serious accusation

Think Caerphilly about it

:lol: predictive text? he only worked there for a year but he said most of the profit went to managers. dont think he would lie

I've probably said this before, but my wife has run the GNR since 2003 and over the last few years me and the daughter have joined her. She did it for the first time a week after her older sis died of MS related issues and her brother is wheelchair bound with MS. Anyhow since she started she has raised nearly £30k. For the first few years all money raised went to HQ in London but in 2008 she became aware via her brother of the local MS society and we discovered what great work they did for local sufferers by getting them together once per week, taking them on trips, running them around in a specially adapted minibus etc. So from hence forth all monies went there and the annual £2 to £3k she raises  kept and keeps the minibus running as it was in danger of being sold due to lack of monies.

Over the last two years my missus has had to fight to insist the monies are spent on that bus and the local society as the full time employed MS area manager has been trying to change what goes on there and direct where all the money that the local group raises goes. He and his boss took advantage of the fact that quite a few of the committee had retired and they could bully the replacements into doing what we wanted. Luckily we saw through their game and stood up to them but it took threats of going to the local press to get them to back down. They have now been replaced after we sent several strongly worded letters to MS headquarters.

Large and medium sized charities like MS have seen their income reduce dramatically over the last few years, their employees are encouraged to use any means to raise more and direct funds to London. Whilst a lot goes to research in the case of MS a very amount does go to a large and very well paid staff. The big boys like oxfam,red cross, are like multinational organisations with their huge HQ's in numerous cities. If I didn't raise for the local MS i'd always only donate to local charities were I can see with my own eyes whats bing done with the £.

• Site Supporter

I've probably said this before, but my wife has run the GNR since 2003 and over the last few years me and the daughter have joined her. She did it for the first time a week after her older sis died of MS related issues and her brother is wheelchair bound with MS. Anyhow since she started she has raised nearly £30k. For the first few years all money raised went to HQ in London but in 2008 she became aware via her brother of the local MS society and we discovered what great work they did for local sufferers by getting them together once per week, taking them on trips, running them around in a specially adapted minibus etc. So from hence forth all monies went there and the annual £2 to £3k she raises  kept and keeps the minibus running as it was in danger of being sold due to lack of monies.

Over the last two years my missus has had to fight to insist the monies are spent on that bus and the local society as the full time employed MS area manager has been trying to change what goes on there and direct where all the money that the local group raises goes. He and his boss took advantage of the fact that quite a few of the committee had retired and they could bully the replacements into doing what we wanted. Luckily we saw through their game and stood up to them but it took threats of going to the local press to get them to back down. They have now been replaced after we sent several strongly worded letters to MS headquarters.

Large and medium sized charities like MS have seen their income reduce dramatically over the last few years, their employees are encouraged to use any means to raise more and direct funds to London. Whilst a lot goes to research in the case of MS a very amount does go to a large and very well paid staff. The big boys like oxfam,red cross, are like multinational organisations with their huge HQ's in numerous cities. If I didn't raise for the local MS i'd always only donate to local charities were I can see with my own eyes whats bing done with the £.

omg your wife sounds like an angel. how can i make a donation? x

Alright saying' just say no, but some old people like this old dear are clearly being taken advantage of. The whole trade in peoples details is very distasteful, the company basically sold this ladies details on to other charities because she was a soft touch and then they passed it on and so forth. At least two phone calls a day and 260 letters a month to an old dear who felt guilty saying no, that can't be right and where are the donations going? To fund professional charities. It's a racket and if it was my gullible relation being targeted I'd be well pissed off. 

Glad I'm a cynical heartless bastard who has no worry telling them to get fucked

My father in law lost his wife to cancer. The McMillan nurses were fantastic. He decided to donate an amount each month through direct debit. After two years he started to get phone calls at anytime between 8-30 & 9-30 in the evening pushing him to increase the donation, after numerous calls he stopped the direct debit altogether. Their loss.

I work from home quite a lot, amd I'm amazed by the amount of phone calls that I get during the day (on the landline) from charitable organisations asking for me to contribute to them on a monthly basis. The other week I even had somebody knocking on the door asking me to donate to yen British Heart Foundation, when I said I wasn't interested, he said "surely you can afford just £2 a month, it's nothing" - the cheeky twunt

We don't have much spare cash so tend to donate stock for them to sell in their shop or at their event.

Or we regularly donate the wife's coupon freebies to Porch Boxes.

Living in scuttervile we don't get many charities come to our house, I'm dog sitting for the parents at the mo and I've had one visit each day I've been here.

I work from home quite a lot, amd I'm amazed by the amount of phone calls that I get during the day (on the landline) from charitable organisations asking for me to contribute to them on a monthly basis. The other week I even had somebody knocking on the door asking me to donate to yen British Heart Foundation, when I said I wasn't interested, he said "surely you can afford just £2 a month, it's nothing" - the cheeky twunt

I work from home and don't answer the landline.