Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Euro Draw

Zico

Note for knock-out fixtures:

If Wales (or England) finish third in Group B and qualify:

90% chance of playing winners of Group C (probably Germany) in Lille on 26 June, and

10% chance of playing winners of Group D (probably Spain) in in Lens on 25 June.

If Northern Ireland finish third in Group C and qualify:

90% chance of playing winners of Group A (probably France) in Lyon on 26 June, and

10% chance of playing winners of Group B (probably England) in Paris on 25 June.

If Republic of Ireland finish third in Group E and qualify:

70% chance of playing winners of Group D (probably Spain) in Lens on 25 June, and

30% chance of playing winners of Group A (probably France) in Lyon on 26 June.

If England (or Wales) win Group B they next play a third placed team in Paris on 25 June.

There is a 7/15 chance that this will be from Group A and the same from Group D, and a 1/15 chance from Group C.

If England (or Wales) finish as runners-up in Group they next play the runners-up from Group F (Portugal / Austria / Hungary / Iceland) in Nice on 27 June.

To put it more directly:

The Winner of B plays third in A, (so long as third in A qualifies) unless thirds in both C and D also qualify.

Otherwise the Winner of B plays third in D, unless neither third in A nor third in D qualify, in which case Winner of B meets third in C.

As the final group matches in Group E are late on 22/6 the 4 groups supplying 3 qualifying may well not be known until then.

The winners of Group B play a third placer at teatime on 25/6. Which one may not be known until late on 22/6.

Does anybody really care what the outcomes might be? - it just looks like a load of dull bollocks to me. 

I'd rather worry (if that;s the right word) about it once the competition starts

Does anybody really care what the outcomes might be? - it just looks like a load of dull bollocks to me. 

I'd rather worry (if that;s the right word) about it once the competition starts

I'm just preparing you for the stuff that will be in the newspapers around 22nd June next year.

The practical issues affect in particular the logistics management of teams which finish third are qualify.

The extra qualifiers probably won't be defined until the conclusion of the final group matches around 10pm on 22/6. Teams will obviously remain in their hotel bases until the 23rd, but then face making arrangements for a match which will be on the 25th or 26th, 3 in Northern France and 1 in Lyon.

The reasons I got into it early are that I like to be ahead of the papers rather than influenced by them, and my son has tickets for a QF match and wanted to know what the likely line-up would be (England v Portugal/Belgium/Italy).

I'm just preparing you for the stuff that will be in the newspapers around 22nd June next year.

The practical issues affect in particular the logistics management of teams which finish third are qualify.

The extra qualifiers probably won't be defined until the conclusion of the final group matches around 10pm on 22/6. Teams will obviously remain in their hotel bases until the 23rd, but then face making arrangements for a match which will be on the 25th or 26th, 3 in Northern France and 1 in Lyon.

The reasons I got into it early are that I like to be ahead of the papers rather than influenced by them, and my son has tickets for a QF match and wanted to know what the likely line-up would be (England v Portugal/Belgium/Italy).

I found it interesting malcolm.

thank you

It's just like the Champions League group stages, designed to make sure that the big teams go through.

I could name 12 of the last 16 for the knockout stages now and I've not even studied the groups.

I understand your point, but the 'top' third placed teams are far from likely to be the best.

If any team loses all 3 matches, then the third team in their group will have at least 3 pts, possibly 4, 5 or 6.

Conversely, a tight group with at least 3 draws out of the 6 matches may see third place with 1, 2 or 3 pts.

Didn't think it would be.

Rio 2016 Olympic Games

5-21 August 2016

Rio de Janeiro, BRA

Selection Policy

Updated December 2015 (to include IAAF standard amendments)

Overview

This Selection Policy outlines the process by which British Athletics will determine its

nominations for Team GB at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games (“the Games”). In all cases,

selection by British Athletics represents a nomination to the British Olympic Association

(“BOA”) for their ratification, and will be conditional on athletes signing the BOA Team

Members’ Agreement (“TMA”). The final decision regarding selection for the Games lies with

the BOA.

British Athletics’ strategic aim is to maximise the team’s potential to win medals at both Rio

and future Olympic Games. The policy has therefore been structured to nominate a team

with this aim in mind.

SECTION 1: SELECTION PROCESS

Eligibility

1.1. To be considered for nomination, athletes must satisfy the following:

a. Subject to paragraph 1.2 below and with the exception of the marathon, 10,000m,

race walks or combined events (to whom this requirement shall not apply),

athletes must compete at the Trials in the event in which they wish to be

nominated (as defined in paragraphs 2.1 and 2.2 below);

b. Meet the BOA’s, IAAF’s and the International Olympic Committee’s eligibility

requirements to compete for Team GB at the Games (including hold a full British

passport valid until at least 31 December 2016);

c. Be 16 years or older at 31 December 2016 (i.e. born in 2000 or earlier), with the

exception of the following:

i. athletes must be 20 years or older at 31 December 2016 (i.e. born in

1996 or earlier) to be considered for nomination in the marathon and

race walk events; and

ii. athletes must be 18 years or older at 31 December 2016 (i.e. born in

1998 or earlier) to be considered for nomination in the shot put,

discus, hammer, javelin, heptathlon, decathlon, and 10,000m.

d. Fulfil at least one of the following criteria:

i. have achieved at least one qualification standard in accordance with

paragraphs 2.3-2.4; or

ii. have received an IAAF World Ranking Invitation (relevant only to

consideration for nomination in Round 4 (paragraph 1.11)).

e. Attend the Team GB holding camp in Belo Horizonte (exceptions to this stipulation

will only be made at the absolute discretion of the Performance Director). Failure

to attend the holding camp (without prior agreement from the Performance

Director) will result in the athlete being deselected pursuant to paragraph 3.3

below.

1.2. Athletes who do not compete in the relevant Trials under paragraph 1.1(a) above will

only be considered for nomination in their chosen event if:

a. British Athletics' Chief Medical Officer ("the British Athletics CMO"), or designated

alternative doctor, confirms prior to or during the Trials that, in his opinion, the

athlete was prevented by injury from competing at the relevant Trials; or

b. In the opinion of the Performance Director, exercising his absolute discretion,

there are exceptional circumstances which justify the athlete's failure to compete

at the Trials.

Selection meetings and process

1.3 The team will be selected for nomination as follows:

a. Marathon, 50km race walk and 10,000m athlete pre-selections – 15 December

2015;

b. Round 1 nominees shall be nominated automatically upon the fulfilment of the

relevant criteria in paragraph 1.7(a) and © below, such nominations to be

confirmed in the relevant selection meetings on 24 April 2016 and 12 July 2016;

c. Remaining marathon and 50km race walk athletes (if applicable) – 24 April 2016;

and

d. All remaining events – 12 July 2016.

1.4 The team will be announced on 16 December 2015 (marathon, 50km race walk and

10,000m pre-selections), 25 April 2016 (remaining marathon and 50km race walk), and

the rest of the team on 13 July 2016 (please note these dates may be subject to

change).

1.5 The Selection Panel (“the Panel”) for each meeting shall comprise:

a. Voting members;

i. British Athletics’ Performance Director;

ii. British Athletics’ Heads of Sprints/Hurdles/Relays (except

marathon/race-walks pre-selection), Endurance and Field/Combined

Events (except marathon/race-walks pre-selection); and

iii. Other event group representatives as nominated by the Performance

Director (in the case of the marathon/race-walks pre-selection, there

will always be at least one additional event group representative

present).

b. Non-voting members:

i. British Athletics Performance Programme Manager (who will chair the

meeting);

ii. At least one independent observer;

iii. British Athletics’ Chief Medical Officer (“the CMO”);

iv. Statistician;

v. Media representative; and

vi. Note-takers etc. as required.

Pre-selection meeting

1.6 In the marathon, 50km race walk and 10,000m pre-selection meeting referred to at

paragraph 1.3(a) above, the Panel may nominate a maximum of one male and one

female athlete per marathon, 50km race walk and 10,000m event who:

a. Have achieved at least one qualification standard in the relevant event by 15

December 2015;

b. Demonstrate clear medal winning potential at the Games; AND

c. Will, in the opinion of the Panel exercising its absolute discretion, significantly

benefit from the increased preparation period afforded by early nomination.

1.7 Round 1 – automatic nominations:

a. For the marathon, 20km race walk, 50km race walk and 10,000m, subject to

paragraph 1.7(d) the first two placed eligible athletes in the relevant Trial event will

be automatically nominated for the same event, provided the athlete, by the end of

the relevant qualification period set out in paragraph 2.3, has achieved at least

one qualification standard in accordance with paragraphs 2.3 to 2.4 below.

b. For all other individual events (excluding combined events athletes as per 1.7(f)

below), subject to paragraph 1.7(d) the first two placed eligible athletes in each

individual Trials event will be automatically nominated for the same event, provided

the athlete, by the end of the relevant qualification period set out in paragraph 2.3,

has achieved at least two qualification standards in accordance with paragraphs

2.3 to 2.4 below.

c. Should any of the automatic nominations from the relevant Trials events already

be pre-selected, or be unable or unwilling to take up their place(s), their Round 1

place(s) will not be offered by default to the next best placed eligible athlete(s) in

the Trials.

d. In the event of a dead-heat or tie at the relevant Trials (resulting in more than 2

athletes qualifying for automatic nomination) the following principles will apply:

i. Where there is a dead-heat or tie for first place between two athletes

in the relevant Trials event (other than the Marathon, 20km and

10,000m), those two athletes shall be automatically nominated.

ii. Where there is a tie or dead-heat for first place between three or more

athletes (or two or more in the Marathon, 20km and 10,000m) or

where one athlete finishes in first place but there is a tie or dead-heat

for second place, the automatic nominations shall be decided in

accordance with paragraph 1.7(e)(iii).

iii. In track/road events, the athlete with the best performance within the

qualification period will gain automatic nomination. In field events, a

jump/throw-off will be arranged (either at the Trials or a later date, in

agreement with the affected athletes), with the winner gaining

automatic nomination. If an athlete/athlete(s) refuses to take part in a

jump/throw-off, the automatic nomination will be offered to the athlete

who did not refuse.

e. A maximum of 2 male and 2 female combined events athletes who finish in the top

16 at the 2016 Gotzis Hypomeeting (http://www.meeting-goetzis.at/en/home.htm)

will be automatically nominated for decathlon/heptathlon, provided the athlete has

achieved at least one qualification standard in accordance with paragraphs 2.3

to 2.4 below. For the avoidance of doubt, if more than two athletes finish in the top

16 at the 2016 Gotzis Hypomeeting, the two who finish highest shall be nominated

(provided they also achieve at least one qualification standard). In the event of a

tie, the principles set out in paragraph 1.7(e) shall apply and the decathlon and

heptathlon shall be treated as if they are a track/road event in accordance with

paragraph 1.7(e)(iii).

f. Should either or both of the first two placed athletes at the Gotzis Hypomeeting not

achieve at least one qualification standard or otherwise be unable or unwilling to

take up their place(s), their Round 1 place(s) will not be offered by default to the

next best placed eligible athlete(s) finishing in the top 16 at the 2016 Gotzis

Hypomeeting.

Remaining selection meetings

1.8 In each remaining selection meeting, the Panel will nominate athletes (up to a

maximum of 3 individual athletes per event) in 3 further rounds (outlined in paragraphs

1.9 to 1.11 below).

1.9 Round 2 – all remaining eligible individual athletes:

a. Athletes will only be nominated in this round if they satisfy all of the following:

paragraphs 2.3 to 2.4 below;

ii. have achieved a performance (within the qualification periods set out

in paragraph 2.3 below) which, on the date of the selection meeting,

is:

 for the 5,000m and 10,000m: equal to or better than a

performance ranked in the then current top 24 (adjusted for 3

per nation) in that event, as shown at http://toplist.leichtathletikmehrkampf.

de/; or

 for the 20km/50km race walks and marathon: equal to or better

than a performance ranked in the then current top 32

(adjusted for 3 per nation) in that event as shown at

http://toplist.leichtathletik-mehrkampf.de/; or

 for all other events: equal to or better than a performance

ranked in the then current top 50% of the IAAF's target field

size (adjusted for 3 per nation) in that event, as shown at

http://toplist.leichtathletik-mehrkampf.de/; and

iii. Demonstrate, to the satisfaction of the Panel, current form and fitness

as at the date of the relevant selection meeting which indicates their

ability to at least replicate their best performance from within the

qualification period at the Games.

b. Where applicable, in order to be nominated at Round 2, athletes will also need to

demonstrate, to the satisfaction of the Panel, the ability to double-up at (1) the

Games and (2) the Under 18 European Athletics Youth Championships and/or the

Under 20 IAAF World Junior Championships held in the same year.

c. If more athletes satisfy all of the criteria outlined in paragraph 1.9(a) (i) to (ii)

above than there are places available, athletes will be nominated based on the

Panel's consideration of a combination of the following criteria, as well as any

other factors that may be deemed relevant:

i. World ranking;

ii. Current form;

iii. Future individual medal potential at indoor or outdoor major events;

iv. Head-to-heads;

v. Previous major competition history;

vi. Injury status;

vii. Position at the relevant Trials;

viii. Impact on medal winning potential in relay teams; and

ix. The number of places available.

1.10 Round 3 – relays:

a. Provided Team GB has achieved qualification for the relevant relay event at the

Games, a team will be nominated for each of the men’s and women’s 4x100m and

4x400m relay teams. The 4x100m and 4x400m teams must include all athletes

nominated for individual 100m and 400m events respectively, but can also include

athletes from any other event or those not nominated for an individual event. The

number of athletes nominated for the relay will be at the discretion of the Panel, in

accordance with the IAAF entry rules for the relay events. Athletes will be

nominated based on the Panel's consideration of a combination of the following

criteria, as well as any other factors that may be deemed relevant:

i. Engagement with the British Athletics relay programme(s) in 2015

and 2016;

ii. Current form;

iii. Head-to-heads;

iv. Previous major competition history;

v. Injury status; and

vi. Performances at the relevant Trials;

b. Athletes nominated only for the relay do not need to have achieved an individual

British Athletics qualification standard.

1.11 Round 4 – Performance Director (“PD”) discretionary selections

a. The PD, in his absolute discretion during or after the selection meeting (but [at

least 96 hours] prior to the BOA’s final entry deadline), may nominate additional

athletes not already selected to individual events, provided that they:

paragraphs 2.3 to 2.4 below OR receive an IAAF invite; and

ii. are considered by the PD to be realistic medal contenders in Rio or future

Olympic Games.

b. In doing so, the PD can only nominate additional athletes to events where places

remain unfilled (including adding an athlete not otherwise selected in a previous

round) and cannot replace athletes selected in previous rounds.

c. For the avoidance of doubt, due to necessary IOC approval and entry procedures

and logistical restrictions, IAAF invites received later than 96 hours prior to the

BOA’s final entry deadline will not be considered.

1.12 The Panel may nominate reserves for any event, provided any such reserve athletes

have achieved one qualification standard (see paragraph 2.4 below) within the

qualification periods set out in paragraph 2.3 (except in respect of relay events where

no individual qualification standard is required). These criteria shall also apply for the

nomination of any replacements under paragraph 3.2 or 3.3 below. Reserves and

replacements will be nominated on the basis of the Panel's consideration of the

criteria listed at paragraph 1.9(B) above as well as any other factors that may be

deemed relevant.

1.13 The Panel reserves the right to make value judgments on situations that they

consider to be exceptional circumstances within the reference framework and the

spirit of the general selection policy.

SECTION 2: PERFORMANCE CRITERIA

Trials

2.1 For the purposes of all events other than those specified in paragraph 2.2 below, the

use of the words "Trial" or "Trials" in this Selection Policy shall mean the British

Athletics Championships, 24-26 June 2016.

2.2 For the purposes of the events listed below, the word "Trial" or "Trials" in this Selection

Policy shall have the meaning set out in these paragraphs 2.2 (a) to (e), in so far as

they apply to the event in question:

a. Marathon – the official Trial will be the 2016 London Marathon on 24 April 2016;

b. 10,000m – the official Trial will be the Highgate Harriers Night of 10,000m Personal

Bests event at Parliament Hill on 21 May 2016;

c. 20km race walk - the official Trial will be the British Race Walking Cup (date and

location TBC) – athletes wishing to enter should do so via the Run Britain website

(www.runbritain.com);

d. 50km race walk – the official Trial will be the IAAF Race Walking Challenge event

in Dudinska, Slovak Republic, on 19 March 2016

(http://www.iaaf.org/competitions/iaaf-race-walking-challenge); and

e. Combined events – no trials will take place and the following principles shall

apply:

i. Combined events athletes may be automatically nominated using the

process outlined in paragraph 1.7(f) above.

Qualification Standards

2.3 With the exception of athletes who have received an IAAF World Ranking Invitation

(relevant only to consideration for selection in Round 4 (paragraph 1.11), all athletes

must achieve qualification standard(s) for the event for which they seek selection

within the following qualification periods:

a. For marathon and 50km race walk – between 00:00 (GMT) on 1 January 2015

and 16:00 (BST) on 24 April 2016*;

b. For 10,000m, combined events and 20km race walk – between 00:00 (GMT) on 1

January 2015 and 23:00 (BST) on 11 July 2016*; and

c. For all other events – between 00:00 (GMT) 1 May 2015 and 23:00 (BST) 11 July

2016*.

*Demonstration of form (to the reasonable satisfaction of the relevant Head for

the specific event group) or fitness (to the reasonable satisfaction of the British

Athletics CMO) for qualification performances achieved prior to 1 January 2016

will be required.

2.4 The British Athletics qualification standards are as follows (*denotes standards higher

than those set by the IAAF):

Men Event Women

10.16 100m 11.32

20.50 200m 23.20

45.40 400m 52.20

1:46.00 800m 2:01.50

3:36.20

1500m

4:07.00

13:25.00 5000m 15:24.00

28:00.00 10,000m 32:15.00

8:30.00 3,000m SC 9:45.00

13.47 110/100mH 13.00

49.40 400mH 56.20

2.29 HJ 1.93

5.70 PV 4.50

8.15 LJ 6.70

16.85 TJ 14.15

20.50 SP 17.75

65.00 DT 61.00

77.00 HT 71.00

83.00 JT 62.00

8100 CE 6200

1:24:00 20km RW 1:33:00*

4:02:00* 50km RW N/A

2:14:00* Marathon 2:31:00*

Performance conditions relating to qualification standards

2.5 Performances must be achieved during competitions organised or authorised by the

IAAF, its Area Associations or its National Member Federations. Thus, results

achieved at university or school competitions must be certified by the National

Federation of the country in which the competition was organised.

2.6 UK domestic competition performances will only be recognised if they are achieved in

a UKA Level 3 Permit competition or higher, or in an Area or County Championship

(see www.britishathletics.org.uk/competitions/rules/ for details on the UKA competition

permits).

2.7 Marathon and race walking qualification performances must be achieved on IAAF

accredited courses (as listed on the IAAF website).

2.8 Multiple performances achieved in the same individual event in a single day will only

count as follows:

a. If they are achieved at an official Championship of UK national level or higher; and

b. In a field event only the best mark in the final and best mark in the pool will count.

2.9 Performances achieved in the same individual event in a single day where that event

is not an official Championship of UK national level or higher will only count as follows:

a. In track events only the fastest legal result of the day;

b. In throwing events only the best performance of the first competition of the day;

c. In horizontal jumps only the best performance of the first competition of the day,

unless every mark achieved by the athlete was wind-assisted in which case the

best trial in a second competition held under non-wind-assisted conditions will

count.

2.10 Performances achieved in mixed events between male and female participants, held

completely in a stadium, shall not be accepted.

2.11 Wind-assisted performances (or performances achieved at events where wind

measurement was not available) for events held completely in a stadium will not be

accepted. For combined events the conditions set in IAAF rule 260.27 (or any revised

or amended rule relating to wind readings in combined events in force at the time) will

be applied for qualification purposes, so the average velocity (based on the algebraic

sum of the wind velocities, as measured for each individual event, divided by the

number of such events) shall not exceed plus 2 m/s.

2.12 100m, 200m, 400m, 110m/100m hurdles and 400m hurdles performances at altitudes

of above 950m will not be accepted.

2.13 Hand-timed performances in 100m, 200m, 400m, 110/100m hurdles, 400m hurdles

and 4x100m relay will not be accepted.

2.14 Indoor performances for all field events and all track events of 400m and longer will be

accepted.

2.15 For indoor track events, performances achieved on oversized tracks will not be

accepted.

SECTION 3: GENERAL PROVISIONS

De-selection and replacements

3.1 The process by which an athlete may be de-selected from the Games depends on the

exact timing in relation to the Delegation Registration Meeting (“DRM”) – i.e. the date

on which Team GB is formally entered into the Games. The DRM is currently set for 18

July 2016.

3.2 At any time prior to Team GB being formally entered into the Games at the DRM,

British Athletics reserves the right to withdraw an athlete’s nomination should, in the

opinion of the British Athletics CMO and the British Athletics Team Leader (the "Team

Leader"), injury/illness impact on an athlete’s potential to achieve performances within

10% or less of their average qualifying performances in their event in the Games.

Where such concerns exist, the following process will be undertaken:

a. The British Athletics CMO will, at his absolute discretion, request that the athlete

undergoes a medical examination to determine his/her fitness to compete. This

examination will be conducted by the British Athletics CMO, or another doctor as

determined by the British Athletics CMO. If the athlete fails, or refuses to undergo,

the examination, his/her nomination will be withdrawn and British Athletics may,

pursuant to paragraph 1.15 above, nominate a replacement.

b. If the athlete passes the medical examination carried out in accordance with

paragraph 3.2(a) above, but British Athletics retains concerns over their potential to

achieve performances within 10% or less of their average qualifying performances

in their event in the Games due to the underlying injury or illness, the British

Athletics Team Leader (“Team Leader”), at his sole discretion, may request that

the athlete undergoes a set of event-specific performance tests. The test(s) will be

agreed between the Team Leader and British Athletics CMO and will be designed

to determine the impact of any injury/illness on the athlete’s potential to achieve

performances within 10% or less of their average qualifying performances in their

event in the Games. If the athlete fails or refuses to undertake the test(s), his/her

nomination will be withdrawn and British Athletics may, pursuant to paragraph 1.15

above, nominate a replacement.

3.3 After Team GB has been entered into the Games, athlete de-selections and

replacements may only be allowed in accordance with the IOC’s “Late Athlete

Replacement Policy” (or any revised or amended IOC policy relating to athlete

replacement in force at the time). Athletes may be de-selected at this stage due to the

athlete no-longer being eligible (including failure to attend the Team GB holding camp

(without prior permission from the Performance Director) pursuant to paragraph 1.1(e))

or due to injury/illness. In such circumstances, should the British Athletics CMO or

Team Leader believe injury/illness to an athlete may impact upon their potential to

achieve performances within 10% or less of their average qualifying performances in

their event in the Games, the following process will be undertaken:

a. The Team GB CMO, in conjunction with the British Athletics CMO, will request that

the athlete undergoes a medical examination to determine his/her fitness to

compete. This examination will be conducted by the British Athletics CMO, or

another doctor as determined by the British Athletics CMO. If the athlete fails or

refuses to undergo the examination, his/her nomination will be withdrawn and

British Athletics may, pursuant to paragraph 1.15 above, nominate a replacement.

paragraph 3.4(a) above, but British Athletics and/or the BOA retain concerns over

their potential to achieve performances within 10% or less of their average

qualifying performances in their event in the Games due to the underlying injury or

illness, the Team GB Chef de Mission, at his sole discretion, may reasonably

request the athlete undergoes a set of event-specific performance tests. The

test(s) will be agreed by each of the Team Leader, the British Athletics CMO and a

delegated BOA representative, and will be designed to determine the impact of any

injury/illness on the athlete’s potential to achieve performances within 10% or less

of their average qualifying performances in their event in the Games. If the athlete

fails or refuses to undertake the test(s), his/her nomination will be withdrawn and

British Athletics may, pursuant to paragraph 1.15 above, nominate a replacement.

Appeals

3.4 Athletes may appeal their non-nomination or de-selection under this Selection Policy,

but only after the announcement of the relevant team in accordance with paragraph

1.4 above and only according to the procedure laid out in the “British Athletics

Selection Appeals Policy” which can be found on the British Athletics website. Athletes

wishing to seek advice regarding the appeals process (including the validity of any

procedure itself) are advised to the contact the British Athletes Commission (BAC) at

www.britishathletes.org.

3.5 In the event that the BOA refuses to ratify a nomination by the Panel, the athlete may

appeal this decision in according with the BOA’s Appeals Policy which can be provided

upon request.

Amendment

3.6 British Athletics reserves the right to amend this Selection Policy at its sole discretion

and will make any amended version publicly available (including the date on which any

amendment was made) at www.britishathletics.org.uk.

Rio 2016 Olympic Games

5-21 August 2016

Rio de Janeiro, BRA

Selection Policy

Overview

This Selection Policy outlines the process by which British Athletics will determine its

nominations for Team GB at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games (“the Games”). In all cases,

selection by British Athletics represents a nomination to the British Olympic Association

(“BOA”) for their ratification, and will be conditional on athletes signing the BOA Team

Members’ Agreement (“TMA”). The final decision regarding selection for the Games lies with

the BOA.

British Athletics’ strategic aim is to maximise the team’s potential to win medals at both Rio

and future Olympic Games. The policy has therefore been structured to nominate a team

with this aim in mind.

Eligibility

a. Subject to paragraph 1.2 below and with the exception of the marathon, 10,000m,

c. Be 16 years or older at 31 December 2016 (i.e. born in 2000 or earlier), with the

race walk events; and

paragraphs 2.3-2.4; or

e. Attend the Team GB holding camp in Belo Horizonte (exceptions to this stipulation

will only be made at the absolute discretion of the Performance Director). Failure

below.

1.2. Athletes who do not compete in the relevant Trials under paragraph 1.1(a) above will

a. British Athletics' Chief Medical Officer ("the British Athletics CMO"), or designated

alternative doctor, confirms prior to or during the Trials that, in his opinion, the

b. In the opinion of the Performance Director, exercising his absolute discretion,

there are exceptional circumstances which justify the athlete's failure to compete

at the Trials.

2015;

c. Remaining marathon and 50km race walk athletes (if applicable) – 24 April 2016;

and

1.4 The team will be announced on 16 December 2015 (marathon, 50km race walk and

10,000m pre-selections), 25 April 2016 (remaining marathon and 50km race walk), and

change).

a. Voting members;

present).

b. Non-voting members:

meeting);

iv. Statistician;

Pre-selection meeting

1.6 In the marathon, 50km race walk and 10,000m pre-selection meeting referred to at

a. Have achieved at least one qualification standard in the relevant event by 15

December 2015;

c. Will, in the opinion of the Panel exercising its absolute discretion, significantly

paragraph 1.7(d) the first two placed eligible athletes in the relevant Trial event will

be automatically nominated for the same event, provided the athlete, by the end of

the relevant qualification period set out in paragraph 2.3, has achieved at least

b. For all other individual events (excluding combined events athletes as per 1.7(f)

below), subject to paragraph 1.7(d) the first two placed eligible athletes in each

individual Trials event will be automatically nominated for the same event, provided

the athlete, by the end of the relevant qualification period set out in paragraph 2.3,

2.3 to 2.4 below.

c. Should any of the automatic nominations from the relevant Trials events already

be pre-selected, or be unable or unwilling to take up their place(s), their Round 1

place(s) will not be offered by default to the next best placed eligible athlete(s) in

the Trials.

d. In the event of a dead-heat or tie at the relevant Trials (resulting in more than 2

athletes qualifying for automatic nomination) the following principles will apply:

who did not refuse.

e. A maximum of 2 male and 2 female combined events athletes who finish in the top

will be automatically nominated for decathlon/heptathlon, provided the athlete has

to 2.4 below. For the avoidance of doubt, if more than two athletes finish in the top

16 at the 2016 Gotzis Hypomeeting, the two who finish highest shall be nominated

(provided they also achieve at least one qualification standard). In the event of a

tie, the principles set out in paragraph 1.7(e) shall apply and the decathlon and

heptathlon shall be treated as if they are a track/road event in accordance with

paragraph 1.7(e)(iii).

f. Should either or both of the first two placed athletes at the Gotzis Hypomeeting not

achieve at least one qualification standard or otherwise be unable or unwilling to

take up their place(s), their Round 1 place(s) will not be offered by default to the

Hypomeeting.

1.8 In each remaining selection meeting, the Panel will nominate athletes (up to a

maximum of 3 individual athletes per event) in 3 further rounds (outlined in paragraphs

1.9 to 1.11 below).

a. Athletes will only be nominated in this round if they satisfy all of the following:

is:

de/; or

b. Where applicable, in order to be nominated at Round 2, athletes will also need to

demonstrate, to the satisfaction of the Panel, the ability to double-up at (1) the

c. If more athletes satisfy all of the criteria outlined in paragraph 1.9(a) (i) to (ii)

Panel's consideration of a combination of the following criteria, as well as any

i. World ranking;

ii. Current form;

iv. Head-to-heads;

vi. Injury status;

1.10 Round 3 – relays:

a. Provided Team GB has achieved qualification for the relevant relay event at the

nominated for individual 100m and 400m events respectively, but can also include

athletes from any other event or those not nominated for an individual event. The

number of athletes nominated for the relay will be at the discretion of the Panel, in

and 2016;

ii. Current form;

iii. Head-to-heads;

v. Injury status; and

b. Athletes nominated only for the relay do not need to have achieved an individual

a. The PD, in his absolute discretion during or after the selection meeting (but [at

least 96 hours] prior to the BOA’s final entry deadline), may nominate additional

Olympic Games.

b. In doing so, the PD can only nominate additional athletes to events where places

remain unfilled (including adding an athlete not otherwise selected in a previous

c. For the avoidance of doubt, due to necessary IOC approval and entry procedures

and logistical restrictions, IAAF invites received later than 96 hours prior to the

1.12 The Panel may nominate reserves for any event, provided any such reserve athletes

qualification periods set out in paragraph 2.3 (except in respect of relay events where

no individual qualification standard is required). These criteria shall also apply for the

criteria listed at paragraph 1.9(B) above as well as any other factors that may be

deemed relevant.

1.13 The Panel reserves the right to make value judgments on situations that they

Trials

2.1 For the purposes of all events other than those specified in paragraph 2.2 below, the

use of the words "Trial" or "Trials" in this Selection Policy shall mean the British

2.2 For the purposes of the events listed below, the word "Trial" or "Trials" in this Selection

Policy shall have the meaning set out in these paragraphs 2.2 (a) to (e), in so far as

a. Marathon – the official Trial will be the 2016 London Marathon on 24 April 2016;

b. 10,000m – the official Trial will be the Highgate Harriers Night of 10,000m Personal

c. 20km race walk - the official Trial will be the British Race Walking Cup (date and

location TBC) – athletes wishing to enter should do so via the Run Britain website

(www.runbritain.com);

d. 50km race walk – the official Trial will be the IAAF Race Walking Challenge event

e. Combined events – no trials will take place and the following principles shall

apply:

Qualification Standards

2.3 With the exception of athletes who have received an IAAF World Ranking Invitation

(relevant only to consideration for selection in Round 4 (paragraph 1.11), all athletes

must achieve qualification standard(s) for the event for which they seek selection

c. For all other events – between 00:00 (GMT) 1 May 2015 and 23:00 (BST) 11 July

2016*.

the specific event group) or fitness (to the reasonable satisfaction of the British

will be required.

2.4 The British Athletics qualification standards are as follows (*denotes standards higher

Men Event Women

10.16 100m 11.32

20.50 200m 23.20

45.40 400m 52.20

1500m

13.47 110/100mH 13.00

49.40 400mH 56.20

2.29 HJ 1.93

5.70 PV 4.50

8.15 LJ 6.70

16.85 TJ 14.15

20.50 SP 17.75

65.00 DT 61.00

77.00 HT 71.00

83.00 JT 62.00

8100 CE 6200

2.5 Performances must be achieved during competitions organised or authorised by the

2.6 UK domestic competition performances will only be recognised if they are achieved in

a UKA Level 3 Permit competition or higher, or in an Area or County Championship

(see www.britishathletics.org.uk/competitions/rules/ for details on the UKA competition

permits).

2.7 Marathon and race walking qualification performances must be achieved on IAAF

2.8 Multiple performances achieved in the same individual event in a single day will only

count as follows:

a. If they are achieved at an official Championship of UK national level or higher; and

b. In a field event only the best mark in the final and best mark in the pool will count.

2.9 Performances achieved in the same individual event in a single day where that event

is not an official Championship of UK national level or higher will only count as follows:

b. In throwing events only the best performance of the first competition of the day;

c. In horizontal jumps only the best performance of the first competition of the day,

count.

2.10 Performances achieved in mixed events between male and female participants, held

measurement was not available) for events held completely in a stadium will not be

accepted. For combined events the conditions set in IAAF rule 260.27 (or any revised

or amended rule relating to wind readings in combined events in force at the time) will

be applied for qualification purposes, so the average velocity (based on the algebraic

sum of the wind velocities, as measured for each individual event, divided by the

2.12 100m, 200m, 400m, 110m/100m hurdles and 400m hurdles performances at altitudes

2.13 Hand-timed performances in 100m, 200m, 400m, 110/100m hurdles, 400m hurdles

2.14 Indoor performances for all field events and all track events of 400m and longer will be

accepted.

2.15 For indoor track events, performances achieved on oversized tracks will not be

accepted.

3.1 The process by which an athlete may be de-selected from the Games depends on the

exact timing in relation to the Delegation Registration Meeting (“DRM”) – i.e. the date

on which Team GB is formally entered into the Games. The DRM is currently set for 18

July 2016.

3.2 At any time prior to Team GB being formally entered into the Games at the DRM,

British Athletics reserves the right to withdraw an athlete’s nomination should, in the

opinion of the British Athletics CMO and the British Athletics Team Leader (the "Team

Leader"), injury/illness impact on an athlete’s potential to achieve performances within

10% or less of their average qualifying performances in their event in the Games.

a. The British Athletics CMO will, at his absolute discretion, request that the athlete

examination will be conducted by the British Athletics CMO, or another doctor as

determined by the British Athletics CMO. If the athlete fails, or refuses to undergo,

the examination, his/her nomination will be withdrawn and British Athletics may,

paragraph 3.2(a) above, but British Athletics retains concerns over their potential to

achieve performances within 10% or less of their average qualifying performances

in their event in the Games due to the underlying injury or illness, the British

the athlete undergoes a set of event-specific performance tests. The test(s) will be

to determine the impact of any injury/illness on the athlete’s potential to achieve

performances within 10% or less of their average qualifying performances in their

event in the Games. If the athlete fails or refuses to undertake the test(s), his/her

nomination will be withdrawn and British Athletics may, pursuant to paragraph 1.15

replacement in force at the time). Athletes may be de-selected at this stage due to the

athlete no-longer being eligible (including failure to attend the Team GB holding camp

(without prior permission from the Performance Director) pursuant to paragraph 1.1(e))

or due to injury/illness. In such circumstances, should the British Athletics CMO or

Team Leader believe injury/illness to an athlete may impact upon their potential to

achieve performances within 10% or less of their average qualifying performances in

a. The Team GB CMO, in conjunction with the British Athletics CMO, will request that

another doctor as determined by the British Athletics CMO. If the athlete fails or

paragraph 3.4(a) above, but British Athletics and/or the BOA retain concerns over

qualifying performances in their event in the Games due to the underlying injury or

test(s) will be agreed by each of the Team Leader, the British Athletics CMO and a

delegated BOA representative, and will be designed to determine the impact of any

injury/illness on the athlete’s potential to achieve performances within 10% or less

of their average qualifying performances in their event in the Games. If the athlete

fails or refuses to undertake the test(s), his/her nomination will be withdrawn and

Appeals

3.4 Athletes may appeal their non-nomination or de-selection under this Selection Policy,

but only after the announcement of the relevant team in accordance with paragraph

1.4 above and only according to the procedure laid out in the “British Athletics

Selection Appeals Policy” which can be found on the British Athletics website. Athletes

wishing to seek advice regarding the appeals process (including the validity of any

procedure itself) are advised to the contact the British Athletes Commission (BAC) at

www.britishathletes.org.

3.5 In the event that the BOA refuses to ratify a nomination by the Panel, the athlete may

appeal this decision in according with the BOA’s Appeals Policy which can be provided

upon request.

Amendment

3.6 British Athletics reserves the right to amend this Selection Policy at its sole discretion

and will make any amended version publicly available (including the date on which any

(www.runbritain.com);

I can walk 20km so I've just logged on. Irked me that the site is called "runbritain" as I won't be running.  I'll be walking. And supping. Why else would you walk 20km? Plus them as do it look like they're touching cloth, so I'll fit in. Vote for me in next year's SPOTY!

And LW has just logged into the RUINBRITAIN site by mistake - he can do the trials in the British Race Wanking Cup. Held this year at the Rother Valley Country Park - "Home of Water Sports"

http://www.rvcp.co.uk/Home.aspx

Watersports / Activity Centre Opening Times

Mid February - April Tues - Sun 10:00- 16:30
May to end of August Mon - Sun 10: 00- -19:30
September Mon - Sun 10:00 -17:30
October to Mid December Tues - Sun 10:00-16:30

Mid December to Mid February Activity Centre will be closed.

• Moderators

Rio 2016 Olympic Games

5-21 August 2016

Rio de Janeiro, BRA

Selection Policy

Overview

the BOA.

with this aim in mind.

Eligibility

race walk events; and

paragraphs 2.3-2.4; or

below.

at the Trials.

2015;

and

change).

a. Voting members;

present).

b. Non-voting members:

meeting);

iv. Statistician;

Pre-selection meeting

December 2015;

2.3 to 2.4 below.

the Trials.

who did not refuse.

paragraph 1.7(e)(iii).

Hypomeeting.

1.9 to 1.11 below).

is:

de/; or

i. World ranking;

ii. Current form;

iv. Head-to-heads;

vi. Injury status;

1.10 Round 3 – relays:

and 2016;

ii. Current form;

iii. Head-to-heads;

v. Injury status; and

Olympic Games.

deemed relevant.

Trials

(www.runbritain.com);

apply:

Qualification Standards

2016*.

will be required.

Men Event Women

10.16 100m 11.32

20.50 200m 23.20

45.40 400m 52.20

1500m

13.47 110/100mH 13.00

49.40 400mH 56.20

2.29 HJ 1.93

5.70 PV 4.50

8.15 LJ 6.70

16.85 TJ 14.15

20.50 SP 17.75

65.00 DT 61.00

77.00 HT 71.00

83.00 JT 62.00

8100 CE 6200

permits).

count as follows:

count.

accepted.

accepted.

July 2016.

Appeals

www.britishathletes.org.

upon request.

Amendment

I can see this being a particularly long thread

• 2 months later...

Remember the third place qualifications will all fall into place late on 22nd June.

At that point it will become clear whether Northern Ireland are to face England (or, less likely, Wales).

You are probably too young to remember that Alf Ramsey's substitution of Bobby Charlton in the 1970 World Cup QF against West Germany, a match which went from 2-0 to 2-3, was the primary reason that the government of the day lost the General Election in 1970.

• 1 month later...

As team England may likely to lose a goalkeeper for the upcoming Euro2016, Stoke City may be in line in receiving a 6-figure compensation for Jack Butland's injury. Butland may likely to lose the opportunity to play for the entire Euro 2016 season. Quite a frustrating way to get out considering the season starts in just a few weeks. 

Edited by Carlos
Spam link removed

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.