Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

I Started This Thing

Anderson

• Site Supporter

The only time I've ever sat with opposition fans was at Anfield on New Years Day, 2007. Went with a few plastic scousers I knew at the time who had a spare ticket. The sort of twats who magically start speaking with scouse accents when they get within 100 yards of the stadium, even though they're from Preston. We got spanked 3-0 in the second half. It was fucking horrible. As soon as their first went in, they made a big song and dance about me being a Bolton fan. Utter cunts. Don't know what I was thinking.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So how many away ends we been in when bolton weren't playing?

Off top of my head I've been in with Cambridge at Peterborough, West Brom at Sheff Utd, Notts County at Wigan (twice) and Rochdale and Newcastle at Wigan

Been to a few Hull aways with a mate who's followed for them donkey's years - at Villa, Leicester, Orient, Chelsea, Mansfield. One that sticks in the mind was QPR midweek when I was in London - it was in the LC and they were 3-0 down from the home leg but still brought a surprising number down. Reading away we were in the seats at the side of Elm Park and it turned out some Hull had given a group of Reading fans a kicking putting one in hospital. So the police paraded his mates down the line to ID the Hull fans in the seats! I thought typical, they'll pick me out and I don't even support the fuckers!

Was in with Rochdale away at Palace in the FA Cup 3rd round the year Palace got to the final; and for some reason ended up with a ticket among Oxford fans for a playoff final against Sunderland at Wembley. Was in with Fulham fans when they played a pre-season "friendly" against Chelsea and it booted off below the stand.

I was in with Sheffield Wed fans at Leicester with a Sheff supporting lass who kept on rabbiting about their team and who each player was. So it was obvious to the bonehead in front of us I wasn't a Sheff fan. She'd been taking the piss about the 5-0 earlier, so when Leicester's 3rd went in in the first half I chuckled summat to the effect of "it could be 5-0 here" to which he turned round and muttered in the usual guttural Yorkshire sub-grunt that passes as English "why's that funny like?" and I had to talk my way out of a kicking.

I was in the away end at Old Trafford when Chelsea played about 10 years back. All I remember is that they played the music to Hey Jude - so that it went 'na na na na na na na, na na na na' - then they dropped the volume and the crowd chanted 'keano'. It was one of the shittest things I have ever heard.

How about being in with the home fans whilst watching The Whites away?

The nearest I've ever been to that was the Blackburn promotion game when I was on the side terrace and any segregation had broken down by shear numbers. I remember looking at the official away end and I've never seen summat so full. But we were everywhere that day...

Away end v stockport several times in mid 90s when Bolton were on Granada loads of Sunday's.

Me and Marple made a habit of getting on Granada goals extra with Orient, Sheffield Utd, Port Vale and a few others.

Was with Jules for the Stoke v Man City relegation scrap.

Thanks for all the positive comments, hopefully we can get it off the ground a bit and start something that we all genuinely enjoy contributing to and people enjoy following. We've actually just uploaded our first review of the game from yesterday so if anyone's interested in giving it a read, it'll likely be no good but we've all got to start somewhere!  https://theawaydayguys.wordpress.com/2016/01/10/rotherham-at-leeds/

Constructive criticism is not only welcomed but encouraged! 

As you would imagine I've been to a few away games outside of with Wanderers, a few with Everton and Newcastle with friends who are fans and then others dotted around the north mainly, thankfully never been pulled up or dobbed in as not being a local, but seeing as we're going to be getting to a lot more now I suppose the odds are against us.

Just read it and it's a nice read.Maybe you could try doing a couple of pubs near the ground that allow away fans and review the boozers aswell as the ground?

It would add a bit more of a complete away day match experience.

Just a thought like.

Thank you, and i'd agree there was the plan to include a bit more from the build up to the game and sort of take the fans journey to the ground but we picked up the tickets saw the away bar, thought it was a smart idea and then didn't leave until kick off haha

Definitely something that we will flesh out for the next games!

• Moderators

I've done it at

Burnley

Aston Villa

Derby County

Man City

Bristol City

Man U

Wigan

It's never that comfortable really

City, when we got beat 6-2, not pleasant

Utd, when we got beat 2-0 and Ronaldo got that penalty when he fell over JLloyrd Samuel, not pleasant

Forest in fat sam's promotion season, won 2-0, was alright, but did struggle not to give myself away

Good read. More pictures of the day, away following, bar area at leads, would have accompanied the write up

We've been posting a few photos on Instagram and Twitter but I'll see how to add them throughout the write up for next time, cheers

Same for videos mentioned earlier, we'll be posting them when we can to social media but appreciate would be good to have it all included

• Members

I've done it at

Burnley

Aston Villa

Derby County

Man City

Bristol City

Man U

Wigan

It's never that comfortable really

Birmingham

Fortunately it was the most boring 0-0 ever so my cover wasn't blown