Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Junior Doctors Strike

little whitt

In the late 70s I was working 35 hours per week, plus very limited overtime, and spending 50 hours per week on my athletic club team manager's role.

At the end of the 1978 season I knew I would have a lot of overtime in 1979, thanks to the Chancellor of the Exchequer moving the goalposts for tax relief on life assurance premiums, so gave up the club work.

In 1979 I worked 3 Saturdays and 21 Sundays, mostly at short notice, as well as a few nightshifts.

Malc. From my memory, didn't LAPR change in 1984?

Malc. From my memory, didn't LAPR change in 1984?

It was turned inside out in 1979, and the rate reduced (possibly 1984) before being abolished,

Prior to 1979, if you paid £100 premium you could reclaim £17.50 on your tax return.

From 6 April 1979 you paid £82.50 and the insurance company claimed £17.50.

Of course companies claimed in every instance, whereas previously an unknown proportion of policyholders failed to bother claiming on a tax return, so it cost the Treasury money in the short term, possibly contributing to its abolition.

• 4 months later...

Regardless of whether they are right or wrong I think a doctor swearing an oath and all that, walking out and letting patients suffer is pretty fucking despicable.

And you bedwetting who say "but what about their rights they defend" tell that to your nan waiting cancer surgery to be told "sorry love you've been rescheduled due to a strike".

Just fuck off.

And you bedwetting who say "but what about their rights they defend" tell that to your nan waiting cancer surgery to be told "sorry love you've been rescheduled due to a strike".

Just fuck off.

Happened to my mother-in-law.

I back them. If they lose I'm worried it'll be the slow death of the nhs. Although that's arguably already started

Indeed. When labour spunked tens of billions on pfi's that we will be paying off with huge interest for the next 3 generations.

To be fair - what two union bods said in private doesn't make what the JD's are striking for any more or less valid. People say all sorts of stuff 'off the record'.

They willfully dragged it out. Utter cunts trick that.

They willfully dragged it out. Utter cunts trick that.

Like I said - whether they are or aren't 'utter cunts' doesn't affect whether the JD's reasons for striking are any less valid. And like RR points out - I'm sure if Hunt et al had their private conversations revealed there would be a few interesting remarks for us all to talk about.

Be interested to see who was responsible for the hack taking place mind.

I read it. Not a great shock I was speaking to a consultant 6 months ago who said it's about pay. At grass roots I don't think its all about pay. All the stuff about 7 day nhs and creating nore shifts with the same amount of doctors just doesn't work. There's been a pretty dirty campaign fought by the government it's not surprising how it's been met. The doctors are sick of being treated with contempt. The morale in hospitals (I can only speak from experience and first hand accounts from friends) is terrible amongst doctors and nurses. If the nurses had any leadership they'd probably go on strike as well.

So which band do you reckon is well paid vs hours paid plus responsibility?? Is for example a band 8 nurse well paid for the job that they do in your opinion??

Are nurses unaware of the hours and pay before they decide on nursing as a career?