Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Budapest

MancWanderer

Can't get the search function to work so no idea if the usual questions have been asked

Going end of Feb. Recommendations??

She's talking about the baths there. Googled it and looks like an all-inclusive hotel in Turkey ie a massive pool full of fat Eastern Europeans having a wash

Went last year on a Lads do + it was beltin'

We stayed in the Mercure Korona, which was in a great location + had the indoor pool/sauna/gym and all of that, but it wasn't posh or expensive.

http://www.mercure.com/gb/hotel-1765-mercure-budapest-korona-hotel/index.shtml

It was 90p a pint in our local and maybe double that on the main st -"Vaci Utca" ( where most reviewers wil tell you to stay clear of due to scammers/ pickpockets/whores/gangsters etc, but we thought it was the best street in town and always felt fairly safe.

The Ruins bars were good.

All the usual stuff is available if you know where to look, but nothing is in yer face.

Didn't try the baths, but s'posed to be a bit of a knockin' shop in the evening, they are better in summer i believe,with outdoor pool parties and all that.

Much preferred it to Amsterdam or Prague.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

Went for my stag do last year - cracking place, from what I remember. Ruin bars are a must. Not sure the rest of the places we went to would be right for a trip with the Mrs...

We went to the baths to recover from the night before. Relaxing enough and if you're happy sitting about a pool and doing not much for a couple of hours, I'd give it a go. Was jam packed when we were there.

odd place

we had a night there before red star

bar next to our hotel, beer was less than one beetroot per pint

less than a mile away it was pushing 4 quid

think we stayed here and it was fine

http://www.kingshotel.hu/eng/

German style toilets in most rooms though, which is a boon if you enjoy stinking the place out.

Nice enough and cheap as chips, ask for a room on the top floor on the street side.

Stumble out and there's a twenty four hour bar (quiet-ish one) on the corner.

I like the baths up on the hill in Pest best (Széchenyi fürdő - has it's own stop on the Metro) - I've managed to kill two phones there, so some sort of phone prophylatic is advisable, a carrier bag or sommat (or don't get drunk before your visit).

A performance (ballet, hello sailor) at the Opera House is relatively cheap and will get brownie points with the missus, get print off tickets here, go for box ones...

http://www.opera.hu/programme

Cracking coffee and cake house over the road from the Opera House.

Shots of Unicum are recommended, and Dreher Bak is a good ale of choice for a chaser.

I love Budapest, but know people who aren't so keen.

edit: further to Jol's post, if you visit the baths, go late evening, much quieter - if the Metro is closed taxis are cheap enough.

Regarding taxis, no journey within the city should be more than £8ish - they'll try and rob you blind some of them, trying it on to charge 10x the going rate is a favourite trick especially when picking up from the  stations etc. arrival and embarkation points - hoping folk won't be au fait with their Forints at that point - and easy for them to claim a mistake/loss in translation if you cop them to it

Edited by Youri McAnespie

• Members

11 hour delay back from our euro jolly in Bulgaria, so had a few pints in the city to while away the time for the flight back to Luton.

Forgot about that mate....Zoz got back from being  locked up just in time to buy more fags before we got on the flight.

Just booked Sofitel near the chain bridge - free with my airmiles

Seeing recommendations on here for Ruins bars - just googled it - Budapest's equivalent to The Northern Quarter - Yes or No?  

"A performance (ballet, hello sailor) at the Opera House is relatively cheap and will get brownie points with the missus, get print off tickets here, go for box ones..." - as I'm turning into an aged gayster I'm quite fancying that - cheers Youri

Airport transfer? Google just brings up loads of conflicting opinions. Anyone done it? Book in advance, cab, train??

Don't just get in any yellow cab only use the ones with a company name on. All the ones with no name or logo will rip you off. We went last year group of lads we all got a legit cab the rest followed in a dodgy one and ended up paying about 30 quid while we paid about 3

Great place. You won't tire of staring at the parliament buildings from across the Danube. Get a travel pass for buses, trams & underground. Worth it. We did the old baths in the big park - close to Heroes Sq. lots of good restaurants - Miami White recommended a few to us.

Evening champagne cruise up the Danube ain't too expensive. And visit to Fishermans Bastion for views across the city.

I honestly did all right

But then again I was chucking plenty of dough at it anyway as I was shit faced and couldn't get my head round the FX conversion. I was thinking dances were a fiver when they were £50

Ha ha

Couple of others got taken for whatever the cash machine would pull out after going in the 'wrong' place

Your hotel will advise you best places to go for all that

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back. Fucking brilliant place for a 4/5 day break. Would def recommend for anyone thinking of a city type trip away

Cheap as chips overall. Don't book owt in advance, ignore the street vendors selling tours and just go for a walk and turn up and pay on the gate for things you want to do like river tours

Gozsdu bars/restaurants superb. Watched the Massives beat the Grief Monkeys at 80p a pint

Buda is nice to look at, Pest is the place to stay/eat/drink

Best city break I've had for years