Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Whisky

madthatter

• Members

I'm an 'anti' too. Didn't used to be but made the terrible mistake of supping (almost) a full bottle of Glenfiddich (got to within an inch of the bottom) for a birthday celebration some time ago. Ill for a fucking week.

Can't even stand the smell of any whisky now - makes me heave.

Best I ever had was the now defunct Port Ellen - many moons back  I got an expensive bottle in London. But then just for a bit - as the distillery tried to resurrect its fortunes about 1993 -  it flogged some of its stuff to the then Safeways. Any supermarket brand that says it's "single malt" has to be just that, and amazingly they did a deal with Port Ellen. So you could sup (relatively) budget priced top stuff even though it was branded oddly. Those days are long gone.

There was a Sainsbury's Taste The |Difference Irish single malt a few years ago which was spectacular at about 18 quid.  It was Midleton, I think, in Sainsbury's whiskers. That Old Engine Oil ale is I think the Tesco house porter as well, all they do is change the label.

Anyhow, lots of time in airports plus a Scottish wife and in-laws = love the stuff. Get on Master of Malt and buy some of their samples.

And Ardbeg Uigaedial burning church lovers - get on the Corryvreckan. The same thing but more betterer.

Edited by Maggie Tate

You should try this for a change/ treat

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/connemara-12-year-old-peated-whisky/

As a standard super market bottle I like that Aberlour 12 yr old also.

Probably loads of websites about, but can sometimes get good deals on the one I've posted so usually have a check on that and try some different ones every so often

Gets good reviews Connemara.  I've never tried a peaty Irish but it's a bit out of my range. One for a treat as you say :)

Masters of Malt is a cracking website and not just for whisky.  I use them a lot and they are always on time, you can get free delivery on orders over a certain amount and the packaging is solid.  Definitely cheaper than the whisky shops, which are a bit of a rip off, down here anyway.

Aberlour 12 is lovely.  The 10s good too and you can get it for a bout £20 this time of year.  They had the A'bunadh (cask strength) on offer at Waitrose the other day

Best Whiskey I've had is Middleton, £120-160 a bottle, lovely stuff, free Yes before you ask.

Balvennie is a nice drop.

There is a bar in Aberdeen called The Grill, reet shithole, but does over 2000 Whiskeys, dearest shot I think was £260!!!!!, they have had the bottle 35 years

Only put a bog in the place 5 years ago, cracking bar though if your ever up that way.

Don't knock it till you've tried it. It's immense.

I'm not a fan of Irish coffee to be fair and not keen on any flavoured spirits.  Still i'd give anything a whirl once . . .

I do often fancy putting bourbon into a glass of milk though for some reason - a white American perhaps? :) 

I'm not a fan of Irish coffee to be fair and not keen on any flavoured spirits. Still i'd give anything a whirl once . . .

I do often fancy putting bourbon into a glass of milk though for some reason - a white American perhaps? :)

I hate liquor coffees as a rule. But because this bourbon is so sweet it works a treat. Good drink for Christmas day as the caffeine will stop you from nodding off! :-)

Best Whiskey I've had is Middleton, £120-160 a bottle, lovely stuff, free Yes before you ask.

Balvennie is a nice drop.

There is a bar in Aberdeen called The Grill, reet shithole, but does over 2000 Whiskeys, dearest shot I think was £260!!!!!, they have had the bottle 35 years

Only put a bog in the place 5 years ago, cracking bar though if your ever up that way.

Only tried Balvennie in a bar which isn't always the best place to try one unless they know what they're doing - i'd imagine the Jocks would have to keep and serve it well by law :)  It was super malty as I recall

And Ardbeg Uigaedial burning church lovers - get on the Corryvreckan. The same thing but more betterer.

It's on the list ;) Do Ardbeg make any bad whiskies?  They are a tad pricey, mind!

Have you tried any Compass Box stuff?  I've had the Artists blend and Spice Tree which are excellent.  Would love to get my hands on Flaming Heart but it's a one'r a bottle!  They do one called Peat Monster which also gets good reviews

Plenty of cash to be made trading whisky. Recently got some HP Hobbister for £75 and flogged three months later for £300. Scapa 16 yr old single malt is my favourite, pure nectar

I've not done it but if I had a bit of expendable cash that's what i'd invest it in.  I'm not keen on 'flippers' per se as whisky should be drunk really, but nothing wrong with putting a few extra bottles away to 'mature' :) 

I'd be looking for relatively cheap but craft bottlings like stuff from Springbank, Benromach, Arran etc.  Not worth that much now but if you can sit on them for 15 - 20 + years I would imagine you'd make a very tidy profit.  Ltd edition bottlings as well which it sounds like you're on the ball with - that's a fair profit in such a short time!

A bottle of Teachers from the 70s I found at the back of my Nan's cupboard was going for £300 on Masters of Malt!  Stuff like Jim Beam White label from same era go for around the same price as well!

• 2 weeks later...

At home I drink more whisky than anything else. This is a recent thing and it's probably come with my age. No ice, it's not a cordial. I'm sure I will get kicked out of the whisky drinkers guild by admitting this, but I'm liking bourbon. Especially the Jack Daniels Tennessee Fire and the JD Honey. Ooooooh, spankin'. These whiskypops are the future.

Edited by Underpants