Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Tv Shows

L/H White

8 minutes ago, royal white said:

Just finished band of brothers….again. Got to be one of the best series ever made. Brilliant from start to finish. 

Better than Masters of the Air? Wasn't that impressed with it given how they made British Airmen look like a right bunch of clots which was so far from reality.

6 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Better than Masters of the Air? Wasn't that impressed with it given how they made British Airmen look like a right bunch of clots which was so far from reality.

Masters of the air was brilliant but BOB beats it for me. Going to start pacific again, I’ve only seen it once and wasn’t to impressed last time. 

7 minutes ago, royal white said:

Masters of the air was brilliant but BOB beats it for me. Going to start pacific again, I’ve only seen it once and wasn’t to impressed last time. 

I heard that was good. My Grandpa fought that front - well, got captured in three week and spent years as a Japanese prisoner of war, his diaries are brutal reading. Sad thing is they got compensation only in 1999, my nana died 8 months after she received it and he passed away in 94. No wonder its the forgotten front, but for the Americans it's much more part of their WW2 narrative

52 minutes ago, royal white said:

Pacific is good, but just not as good as BOB. Both are worth a watch, but best to watch Pacific first then BOB.

43 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

I heard that was good. My Grandpa fought that front - well, got captured in three week and spent years as a Japanese prisoner of war, his diaries are brutal reading. Sad thing is they got compensation only in 1999, my nana died 8 months after she received it and he passed away in 94. No wonder its the forgotten front, but for the Americans it's much more part of their WW2 narrative

A different breed of men altogether. 

51 minutes ago, royal white said:

Ended up feeling a bit meh about Masters of the air. Felt it lost its way a bit towards the end and tried shoehorning stuff in that needed its own series rather than a half arsed episode, like the Tuskegee Airmen, or the spy plot.

Had a really strong start before it became a prison escape series (where no-one lost any weight and still had great hair).

I'm absolutely game for another series about a fighter or bomber squadron at war though. Korea, Vietnam etc, bring it.

13 minutes ago, royal white said:

A different breed of men altogether. 

He was a good, generous man. Terrible at business- had a butchers in Farnworth and gave away more than he earned- drove my Nana bonkers.

Gave me all his medals - like when I fell over etc as a kid - always said they meant nothing to him. Wouldn't speak about what happened - never would, to anyone.

I wouldn't be arrogant enough to speak for him, but going to Farnworth cenotaph on remembrance Sunday with him is a million miles from what I've seen today in London in terms of dignity.

12 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

He was a good, generous man. Terrible at business- had a butchers in Farnworth and gave away more than he earned- drove my Nana bonkers.

Gave me all his medals - like when I fell over etc as a kid - always said they meant nothing to him. Wouldn't speak about what happened - never would, to anyone.

I wouldn't be arrogant enough to speak for him, but going to Farnworth cenotaph on remembrance Sunday with him is a million miles from what I've seen today in London in terms of dignity.

My great Grandmas sister is the only woman on the cenotaph in farnworth.  Killed at Abbeville when bombed by the Germans. 

1 minute ago, royal white said:

My great Grandmas sister is the only woman on the cenotaph in farnworth.  Killed at Abbeville when bombed by the Germans. 

Really, sorry, don't know anything about that. Again all those stories, those lives that war takes. 

It's like I was in Lewisham the other day, there is a small plaque I was interested in seeing (after we went to a posh food market obviously) where the first V12 bomb landed in Britain. Killed just people going to Woolworths - it made no difference to the war and innocent people died.

Echos something of the Gaza conflict. 

• Site Supporter
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Really, sorry, don't know anything about that. Again all those stories, those lives that war takes. 

It's like I was in Lewisham the other day, there is a small plaque I was interested in seeing (after we went to a posh food market obviously) where the first V12 bomb landed in Britain. Killed just people going to Woolworths - it made no difference to the war and innocent people died.

Echos something of the Gaza conflict. 

And the Russian Ukrainian war now, innocent folk being killed a hundred miles from the front line.

Obviously the circumstances are different but innocent lives being slaughtered all the same in both conflicts.

Edited by Winchester White

2 hours ago, royal white said:

Just finished band of brothers….again. Got to be one of the best series ever made. Brilliant from start to finish. 

It's brilliant....

1 hour ago, Marc505 said:

Ended up feeling a bit meh about Masters of the air. Felt it lost its way a bit towards the end and tried shoehorning stuff in that needed its own series rather than a half arsed episode, like the Tuskegee Airmen, or the spy plot.

Had a really strong start before it became a prison escape series (where no-one lost any weight and still had great hair).

I'm absolutely game for another series about a fighter or bomber squadron at war though. Korea, Vietnam etc, bring it.

Exactly my thoughts, felt disappointed went it ended. BOB & Pacific were so much better....

33 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

And the Russian Ukrainian war now, innocent folk being killed a hundred miles from the front line.

Obviously the circumstances are different but innocent lives being slaughtered all the same in both conflicts.

Well that's the point isn't it - is it OK to say, innocent people will die because of a war when they might not have to - because we aren't not fighting against a regime that directly want stop freedom bit for a political gain?

3 hours ago, royal white said:

Utterly brilliant. Reading this made me think that my ex Mrs bought me the book that went with the series and I got divorced in 2002. BOB is 23 years old. Lost count of how many times I’ve watched it. Considering its age the special effects are stunning

Pacific nearly as good. Not watched Masters of the Air as put off by all the reviews 

3 hours ago, Marc505 said:

Spot on. Was just a bit ‘meh’ at the end and cheesier than a sack of wotsits in part. The bit with the flags at the end was just balls. 

Not a patch on band of brothers. 

10 hours ago, mickbrown said:

Spot on. Was just a bit ‘meh’ at the end and cheesier than a sack of wotsits in part. The bit with the flags at the end was just balls. 

Not a patch on band of brothers. 

10 hours ago, mickbrown said:

And what happened to the spy woman? I really can’t remember 

I knew something flaggy was going to happen from the start as they gave spoilers away in the starting credits, it was daft though. Seemed quite contrived to try and fit the story of the Tuskegee Airmen in wherever they possibly could as well. Smelt a bit... well, WOKE.

The spy woman kind of just petered out as well, seemed like they clearly ran out of time to do anything with her story but then why make us invest in her earlier on. Quite liked her as well.

32 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

I knew something flaggy was going to happen from the start as they gave spoilers away in the starting credits, it was daft though. Seemed quite contrived to try and fit the story of the Tuskegee Airmen in wherever they possibly could as well. Smelt a bit... well, WOKE.

The spy woman kind of just petered out as well, seemed like they clearly ran out of time to do anything with her story but then why make us invest in her earlier on. Quite liked her as well.

Why? It's an important part of the story - without those fighters the bombers couldn't have gone as far into Europe - they were a huge part of the success of taking control of the skies in WW2.

49 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Why? It's an important part of the story - without those fighters the bombers couldn't have gone as far into Europe - they were a huge part of the success of taking control of the skies in WW2.

Aye, but is was crammed in as an afterthought. Should've covered them lads in another series.....