Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Tv Shows

L/H White

• Moderators

Enjoying House of the Dragon after two episodes

not sure about Paddy Considince though, doesn't seem right in his role, unless he's going to go bat shit mental at some point like in Dead Mans Shoes or Romeo Brass

was also looking forward to the new LOTR series this week

then I saw the opening credits

• Members

The LOTR thing - I got to Lenny Henry appearing and wondered if I would be able to take it seriously after that. Will go back to it shortly.

Le Mans Crescent spotting. The new series 'Ridley' with Adrian Dunbar.  A male version of Vera. Not bad. Le Mans Crescent seems to be everything at the moment.

Fianlly watched LoTR TV, I thought it was really good, and there was a lot that stayed faithful to the book so I don't think that is an issue. Going to watch again tonight, as first view there was too much to take in.

The only thing that bothered me was that rightly we work hard now to make sure there is broader inclusivity, but the accents really bother me - its like we are still in the same social class structure from the 18th century.

The Harfoots all have Irish bumpkin accents, the men of the south are all northerners, the dwarves are now all Scottish and all their 'betters' the Elves all have upper-class Southern English accents. Its like everyone has to know their place.

But that misstep aside, its looking excellent so far, almost got me to forget about the awfulness of The Hobbit.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Fianlly watched LoTR TV, I thought it was really good, and there was a lot that stayed faithful to the book so I don't think that is an issue. Going to watch again tonight, as first view there was too much to take in.

The only thing that bothered me was that rightly we work hard now to make sure there is broader inclusivity, but the accents really bother me - its like we are still in the same social class structure from the 18th century.

The Harfoots all have Irish bumpkin accents, the men of the south are all northerners, the dwarves are now all Scottish and all their 'betters' the Elves all have upper-class Southern English accents. Its like everyone has to know their place.

But that misstep aside, its looking excellent so far, almost got me to forget about the awfulness of The Hobbit.

how do you know that's not what they actually spoke like?

I enjoyed it, that and GoT both started well

4 minutes ago, Zico said:

Its just that they play into really basic tropes and as someone with a strong northern accent it's a bit annoying that these stereotypes are still played out. And how they are seen in popular culture matters, because that renforces social types.

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Its just that they play into really basic tropes and as someone with a strong northern accent it's a bit annoying that these stereotypes are still played out. And how they are seen in popular culture matters, because that renforces social types.

Pipe the fuck down.

know your place.

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

I just want to be a fucking Elf. Is that too much to ask for? They are even making black folks magical pointy eared warriors. Northern Elf Lives Matter.

Time was that darkies in movies were either downtrodden domestics who would be seen mopping floors and smoking, or cheerful quartets singing about moonlight on rivers.

white blokes ruled the roost in top hats and nice houses whilst people with provincial accents were scruffy but amiable types who died of typhoid and dysentery.

Proper movies and everyone knew their limits.

Now, you’ve got hermaphrodites and salads of chopped up human wreckage posing as genderless beings, pretending to be kings and queens and gangsters. It confuses old folk and needs to stop.

• Members
14 hours ago, Zico said:

Whilst we won't agree on the 'working hard to increase inclusivity' bit, I happen to agree with some of the points NIC raised regarding accents etc.

I am stepping outside to make sure we are still in orbit around the sun. Summat's not reet.

As far as Peter Jacksons 'The Hobbit' and LOTR trilogy go, great movies but too much artistic licence in my book. Moved away from the book very significantly and the one which disappointed me most was at the end of LOTR. No Scouring Of The Shire and encounters with the evil Sharkey. Replaced in the movie by Frodo sailing off into the sunset with the Elves.

One of the most important chapters of the book left out.

• Moderators
On 05/09/2022 at 10:02, Not in Crawley said:

21 hours ago, Spider said:

Time was that darkies in movies were either downtrodden domestics who would be seen mopping floors and smoking, or cheerful quartets singing about moonlight on rivers.

white blokes ruled the roost in top hats and nice houses whilst people with provincial accents were scruffy but amiable types who died of typhoid and dysentery.

Proper movies and everyone knew their limits.

Now, you’ve got hermaphrodites and salads of chopped up human wreckage posing as genderless beings, pretending to be kings and queens and gangsters. It confuses old folk and needs to stop.

went on twitterr earlier

seems a fair few folk are upset that they cast some mythical elves and dwarves from a mythical land as black

the common whataboutery being used is what if they put white people in Wakanda