Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

10 minutes ago, Ani said:

I think the difference is that these days we all get to hear every rumour, back in th'day there might just as many rumours but 90% of them you would not hear. 

Some bloke on Twitter yesterday said something like - We have to work to a budget, that means if we miss out on players so be it, if that means we do not get autos then I can live with that. - 

He got slaughtered for a lack of ambition. It is a crazy world. 

I'm firmly in the "glad we still exist" camp, so any thought of spending beyond our means is the last thing I'd want to see.

However, Evatt did say we have an increased transfer budget (should have kept that quiet!) and we've spent next to none of it so far so I would like to see it spent wisely on some quality players on acceptable wages.

But if they aren't out there, so be it. Hang on to the money until the right opportunity comes along instead of wasting it just to keep the dickhead fan element sweet.

As others have said its encouraging that the reason for the present state of affairs transfer wise at BWFC is that we are waiting our turn in the chain of deals for the quality players from the top two divisions we've identified. We've got some cash - its a different market to be operating in.

This is very different from some summers when we've jumped in with both feet early in a pre-season (Sammy Lee in 2007, Dougie Freedman in 2013) and signed some serious dross on over-inflated contracts. 

I hope things break for us before long. I'd guess we're still after four players. It'd be good to have three of those done and dusted before 4 August/opening day. 

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

The Iles BN article suggesting we're waiting to see how things pan out for a number of players in the Premiership and Championship is at least encouraging inasmuch that we're looking for quality. Whether we get it or not is another story but it implies we're ambitious.

Is where we are at 

and I’m happy with it 

1 hour ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

He was still under contract.

We paid a six-figure (rumoured to be £300,00) fee to sign him permanently.

Makes his signing even more baffling then.

Saw nothing last season to make spending any money on him worthwhile, was content with giving him a punt for a freebie.

31 minutes ago, Rizlar said:

Desperately need midfielders now can’t see Sadlier staying so that leaves Sheehan Dempsey Morley and Thomo that’s just not enough ! 

Whats worrying for me, is now Evatts saying Sadlier has a future with us, when he just been playing his football in the basement league? Very concerning, although i think Sadlier is a good player

6 minutes ago, woolli said:

Whats worrying for me, is now Evatts saying Sadlier has a future with us, when he just been playing his football in the basement league? Very concerning, although i think Sadlier is a good player

Yeah strange 1 that seems Orient don’t want him . 

2 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

The Iles BN article suggesting we're waiting to see how things pan out for a number of players in the Premiership and Championship is at least encouraging inasmuch that we're looking for quality. Whether we get it or not is another story but it implies we're ambitious.

If we're sticking to the "salary limit" (not wanting someone to earn much more than the rest), you'd have to think these "Prem/Championship" players are young kids, or older players maybe looking for a longer contract than just 1 year. 

So we're looking at Nlundulu, Shoretire, Jerome types?  Or maybe the Wilson type that never got established in the championship so was probably on a sensible salary.  Its not going to be easy on a L1 salary to find improvements so it will be interesting to discover who we have in mind.

1 hour ago, Rizlar said:

Desperately need midfielders now can’t see Sadlier staying so that leaves Sheehan Dempsey Morley and Thomo that’s just not enough ! 

The consolation for me of not having enough midfielders is that there's no way we can let Sadlier leave in the meantime, and we might just get to the end of August without him being sold, even if we bring 1 or 2 others in.

Never going to be a starter for an IE team but still a bit of hope he can play a part from the bench

2 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

The consolation for me of not having enough midfielders is that there's no way we can let Sadlier leave in the meantime, and we might just get to the end of August without him being sold, even if we bring 1 or 2 others in.

Never going to be a starter for an IE team but still a bit of hope he can play a part from the bench

I always thought he would be good in KL position he as the skills and scores goals. 

19 minutes ago, woolli said:

That's where plenty of our squad of last season were a couple of years ago, and they did win the league by a mile, he wasn't at Hartlepool.

4 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

So, begs the question, why did Evatt sign him in the first place?