Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

Keep our powder dry on Stockton for me. Out of contract end of the season. 

only really had one good season so far. If he’s still banging them in until Jan then he isn’t a flash in the pan and prob out of our price range. Be on a lot of clubs radar.

however, if the goals dry up many would probably move on and could pick up him for a similar amount to Charles. 

then again if we are riding high I’d then have reservations about how he’d perform in the league above 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Rizlar said:

Doubt we could afford Stockton think they want a million for him 

They can ‘want’ whatever they want for him. No manager will pay Morecambe’s valuation if they think he’s overpriced.

36 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

If Evatt fancies him why didn’t he pick him up for free last year when his contract was up, especially as we really only had Doyler up top? I wouldn’t be against bringing him in but if it was him or a quality CH I’d go for the latter.

Pretty sure we were meant to be getting Dion Charles that summer but it fell through.

31 minutes ago, bolton in bedford said:

Stockton is a good player, he showed that last year, but he’s only been a big fish in a little pond, it’ll be interesting to see how he plays when he’s not ‘the man’ at a club.  Wouldn’t want to take the risk giving what he’ll be valued at and how our forward line is clicking.

To be fair though, he scored all those goals last year in a very poor team so imagine what he might do in a good team? I’d take him if it was affordable but still think there are other positions to strengthen first.

1 hour ago, bolton in bedford said:

Stockton is a good player, he showed that last year, but he’s only been a big fish in a little pond, it’ll be interesting to see how he plays when he’s not ‘the man’ at a club.  Wouldn’t want to take the risk giving what he’ll be valued at and how our forward line is clicking.

exactly, if we are going to be pushing for promotion we need players who can hold their own in the Championship, not someone who looks fabulous in the bottom two leagues.

1 hour ago, Breightmet Boy said:

exactly, if we are going to be pushing for promotion we need players who can hold their own in the Championship, not someone who looks fabulous in the bottom two leagues.

All well and good, but how many players do we currently have that fit that criteria?

6 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

A front 4 option of Bod, Charles, Baka and Stockton would give us 4 players who are all different types, wouldn’t be the end of the world going with the 3 we already have in place, however at the right money Stockton would be a great addition. 

I'd agree, he's got something different to what we have and seems to have a bit of everything - spectacular goals, poachers goals and good hold up play.  I was ready to be underwhelmed by him when he played against us but his hold up play was excellent, very strong and difficult to get the ball off.  Happy enough with what we've got but he'd definitely improve our goal potential.

2 hours ago, Breightmet Boy said:

I'd be happy to worry about that when/if it happens.  If an Ipswich or Sheff Wed signed Stockton I'd immediately think their chances of finishing above us had improved, I don't think they'd be concerned if they had to sign someone different if they went up.  

https://www.burndenaces.co.uk/bolton-wanderers-squad-list/

Plenty of players out of contract in 2023. Going up this season would be ideal in terms of the contract situation as we will have lots of flexibility for deciding who to keep for the Championship.

Charles, Dapo;

Dempsey,  Sadlier;

Johnston, Santos, Jones, John, Iredale...

..are the only ones contracted past the end of this season. 

Edited by Mantra

7 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Getting bored at reading of Barkhuisen. Clearly Division 2 quality, I've like to snap him up but, y'know, sign or don't cocker.

He’s going to derby. Don’t know why people are so obsessed with him.