Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Berlin Market

miamiwhite

• Moderators

Fair point and yes I get the nuance but it's been going on for a long time.  I'm not sure it sends out the right message to the populace at large describing every act like this as terrorist (or possibly) without knowing the full facts. 

Which is one of many reasons, imo, that we are at the point where we are.

I think it would send out the wrong message to try and label it as just mass murder, in this instance

tbh, can't think of anything recent or otherwise that might have been incorrectly "labelled" as being a terrorist act when it wasn't

end of the day, they are all murder, but it's the motives that defines how they are viewed

if it turns out the people who did it did so just for a laugh, fair enough, call it something else

I think it would send out the wrong message to try and label it as just mass murder, in this instance

tbh, can't think of anything recent or otherwise that might have been incorrectly "labelled" as being a terrorist act when it wasn't

end of the day, they are all murder, but it's the motives that defines how they are viewed

if it turns out the people who did it did so just for a laugh, fair enough, call it something else

But what are the motives of these people and those of the Paris attacks, Berlin etc?  I honestly don't know!

To affirm that they hate westerners?  The French?  Christianity?  Islam?

We're told it's to create 'terror', well so did the Yorkshire Ripper, so do escaped prisoners etc.  Yes the scale is different but would the attacks stop you going to Berlin, London or Quebec?  I bet the YR stopped more than a few ladies strolling round Yurkshire late at night . . . 

I find the terror is really created by our press and media who seem to like to really sell this point - which as Kent White said earlier (somewhere) kind of means they're helping them achieve their goal doesn't it?

I agree with your point btw but I think perhaps adopting a new term for crimes such as these may be better serving.   I don't know -  racial/religious hate atrocities?  Catchy ;)

Edited by madthatter

• Site Supporter

Tin foil hat time.

This was organised by a Trump hit squad.

Stir it up a bit in Canada, get some division going on, reprisals are certain - let's just get rid of islam on our soil etc etc etc......all spun in a way that suits Trump's agenda.

Kristallnacht all over again.

History tells us we are creatures of habit. 

Tin foil hat time.

Stir it up a bit in Canada, get some division going on, reprisals are certain - let's just get rid of islam on our soil etc etc etc......all spun in a way that suits Trump's agenda.

As if such things really happen in our civilised world . . . give yer 'ed a wobble ;) 

Tin foil hat time.

Shooters named.........tough call working this one out on such limited info for now

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38800907

you seem to understand the nuance, but in light of the shit going down with isis, and the ban on muslims in the us, this is probably seen as an act of intimidation towards muslims, it's certainly seems less random and more political than your everyday american shooting - it's all about the message being sent, it's why folk like Anders Brevik is considered a terrorist and Raol Moat isn't

From the BBC article - JSL :) 

'Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard both described the attack as a terrorist act, but authorities were reluctant to label it as such.'

• Moderators

But what are the motives of these people and those of the Paris attacks, Berlin etc?  I honestly don't know!

To affirm that they hate westerners?  The French?  Christianity?  Islam?

We're told it's to create 'terror', well so did the Yorkshire Ripper, so do escaped prisoners etc.  Yes the scale is different but would the attacks stop you going to Berlin, London or Quebec?  I bet the YR stopped more than a few ladies strolling round Yurkshire late at night . . . 

I find the terror is really created by our press and media who seem to like to really sell this point - which as Kent White said earlier (somewhere) kind of means they're helping them achieve their goal doesn't it?

I agree with your point btw but I think perhaps adopting a new term for crimes such as these may be better serving.   I don't know -  racial/religious hate atrocities?  Catchy ;)

ok, so for me, it's terrorism is when it's killing where the intent/motive is to intimidate the population and/or the government based on their own ideal or belief, most likely in line with a political agenda

I doubt the Yorkshire ripper was doing nothing more than getting his rocks off

whilst the Washington sniper certainly did create an air of terror, it wasn't a political message, it was just target practice

race/religious hate is probably too tame a word for it, the same mosque had a pigs head left on the front doors, that's a hate crime

to quote Things To Do In Denver When You're Dead - "it is what it is, give it a name"

I with the Canadian PM on this one

Did you miss my first two words or just choose to?

No, not misread at all. You are the first to seperate them (through expression of someone else granted) just not sure it needs to be. Both were shite and both have/will increase tensions.

Have any details of the arrested person been released yet? Motives etc. They shouldn't of been but normally is

• Members

He can't hear you, so there.

Tell the boring cunt that in his case it is not a matter of disagreement.

Being a repetitive contrary fucker just for the fucking sake of it wears thin after around two and a half posts. If I want someone to automatically disagree with me on just about everything I say for no other reason than bloody mindedness, I needn't waste time and effort logging on to WWays. I need only to walk into the kitchen.

• Members

No, not misread at all. You are the first to seperate them (through expression of someone else granted) just not sure it needs to be. Both were shite and both have/will increase tensions.

Have any details of the arrested person been released yet? Motives etc. They shouldn't of been but normally is

Some French Canadian independence supporter from Lavalle College. Apparently one of the poor fuckers he mowed down was a lecturer there and whether there is any more in that we haven't been told.

Being a repetitive contrary fucker just for the fucking sake of it wears thin after around two and a half posts. If I want someone to automatically disagree with me on just about everything I say for no other reason than bloody mindedness, I needn't waste time and effort logging on to WWays. I need only to walk into the kitchen.

:D

• Site Supporter

Don't worry old fella, I can read your posts. No need to ask others to pass them on. You see, I don't put my fingers in my ears when someone gets the better of me in a debate.

Deepest sympathies on the awkward relationship you have with your wife. x

• Members

He doesn't have an akward relationship with his wife. That's me. I'm the sexist pig who got divorced. He's the liberal feminist who has to go into the kitchen to speak to his wife.

: :lol::  I should have known that someone of limited intellect might take that seriously rather than conclude that it was written for comic effect. Just didn't expect it to be you Ducky. The one I expected to gave you a +1  :lol:

I met my missus just before I turned 16. We are an institution young man. Must be doing something right eh?

Edited by bolty58

• 2 weeks later...