Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

London Tower Block Engulfed In Flames

Dr Faustus

27 storey tower block gone up. I've never seen anything like it. Hope and prayers to all involved... appears to be families etc.

Hope everyone gets out, would be amazed- but fear the worst.

Apparently gas works taken place... hopefully nothing more sinister.

Yeah my father in law is an insurance loss adjuster and says his money is on the insulation used in the recladding wasn't fire retardant to save money on the part of the contractor.

Problem is most contractors of that nature will have limited PI cover of say 5m which won't scratch the surface of this.

Building going to have to be demolished in all likelihood

Yeah my father in law is an insurance loss adjuster and says his money is on the insulation used in the recladding wasn't fire retardant to save money on the part of the contractor.

Problem is most contractors of that nature will have limited PI cover of say 5m which won't scratch the surface of this.

How could either of these be allowed? Building without regulation materials? And not having enough insurance cover?

This is a truly tragic event. what is worrying is many of these old style flats have been undergoing refurb for the cladding. all the ones in the center of Chester were completed a couple of years back. Hopefully they sort the problem and avoid any further tragedies. 

This is a truly tragic event. what is worrying is many of these old style flats have been undergoing refurb for the cladding. all the ones in the center of Chester were completed a couple of years back. Hopefully they sort the problem and avoid any further tragedies. 

Most insulation is fire retardant so I would be surprised. What you do sometimes get is a chimney effect in the ventilated cavity between the insulation and the cladding. If no fire barriers are fitted this can cause a rapid spread of fire. Way to early to speculate though on what is a tragic event.